Tell me about your 1st Night Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love night diving!!!

Whether it be the ocean or fresh water, it is a completely different world than daylight diving. First off, your entire realm is as big as your flashlight beam! Once you get through the initial shock of being underwater with little to no light, you can feel your heartbeat slow down. In fact, most of the time, night diving is much much slower than day diving which is beneficial in many ways. First, you see more (and there is more to see). Second, your air consumption is better (because you've slowed down and relaxed). Lastly, you realize there is no boogey man waiting for you to jump into the water.

The honest truth is most night diving is done in groups. I have been on night dives that looked more like broadway than a nightime ocean dive. I was in San Carlos Mexico one time and there must have been 60 people in a small cove (2 boats). You couldn't turn around without bumping into a light.

My advice is jump in, relax and enjoy the ocean in a whole new light (pardon the pun). Night diving is a blast!

jcf

mine was during an AOW. I was the first one down, so it wasn't bad... until the rest of the class came down. it was a mix of fins, silt and a flooded camera (they were supposed to post the pics or something). I don't think too many buddies surfaced together. interesting experience.

I did two night dives at Cancun. It was interesting. We had done two day dives in the morning. We saw different life there. I recommend it.

Bill

My first night dive was in Tulamben, Bali on the wreck of the Liberty...

It was pitch black...I was with a local guide and we did some swimthroughs/shallow penetration on the wreck...I do remember that it was a challenge...probably toward the limit of my capabilities at the time...

A couple of times I took a breath that seemed to use about 200 psi from my tank: once 'nose to nose' with a bumphead parrotfish and once watching the guide swim straight into a wall inside the wreck, then turn to me with that 'What the &*%$?' look on his face before turning around and going back another way through the silt...

It was also the first dive that I remember being really challenged mentally: Thinking how weak the lights were and adjusting to the very limited view provided within their beam, being surprised at the blackness of the water...forcing myself to be calm, relax, slow down and concentrate...

Have done a few since then, but none so memorably challenging.

Really, there as much difference in terms of visibilty as you might expect underwater. You'll have a light, and you can only have so much periferal (sp) vision because of the mask. You'll see a little less, but unless you try looking into blackness, you really don't experience it that much.

Now, I found it thrilling to put the light against my body and sit there in complete darkness at 80 feet for a few seconds.

Plus, there are so many different kinds of animal life about during the night, that very quickly you aren't thinking night dive, you are just thinking great dive.

On the boat, the water will look very dark and black before you get in. Just jump in, turn on your light and have fun.

Soon you'll be here telling us about your first night dive. Can't wait to read the report.

My first was Alexandria Bay. The water was crudded up (silt) from a lot of classes in the area that day. Interestingly poor visibility, as the light just reflected off the goop suspended in the water :) Since I'd dove that site a lot before, no problem, but it wasn't anything to write home about
2nd and 3rd night dives were in Utila (Caribbean). A totally different experience, wonderful, in that clear water. The bioluminescence was really neat (drop onto a patch of sand, turn your lights out, wave your arm).

debfife:
We were thinking about doing one when in Cozumel (we'll be there until 11pm).

My husband thinks I'll chicken out and that I won't get off the boat.

What was your first dive into darkness like?

Just a question...I assume you will be in Cozumel on a cruise ship based on your comment that you will be here until 11:00. Will you also be diving during the daytime in Cozumel?

The reason I ask is that most operators will not take you on a night dive as your first dive with the shop, particularly if it is your first night dive ever. Just want to throw this out there so you can plan accordingly and don't get dissappointed.

Have fun and be safe :)

Well being more of a lake diver and not having much visibility and darkness and cold being more or less the norm, what really struck me was the fish so many more than in day time. Also with the torches we have it gave an impression of being in a giant aquarium.....hehehe.....

My first night dive was my all time favourite, off a dive site on Norman Reef - GBR called Shark Mountain.
Spent about 1/2 of my bottom time just hanging off the line watching the beeyootiful sharkies circling and trying to remember to keep my mouth shut so my reg wouldn't fall out ;-)

The time spent away from the line though I was nervous as it was hard to tell the direction we were going in, the poor DM that led us on that dive had some real close company :)

As soon as I came up though my first words were "can I do it again"

My first night dive was at Rottnest Island off Perth in Western Australia during my DM training . . I remember the instructor being horrified I'd never done a night dive before. I had to explain that in Ireland it doesn't get dark until 9.30 or 10pm during the summer so you would have to do a lot of waiting around to do a night dive during the summer. I've still never done a night dive here :-(

Anyway I was so busy keeping track of AOW students and trying to avoid getting mixed up in the other AOW group I hardly noticed it was night time. Must have been one of the busiest dives I ever did as a DM trainee! I just remember chasing around different groups looking for some student who had actually floated up to the top. I eventually figured it out and brought him back to boat.

I was surprised at how much I could actually see even without lights . .we were at about 15m. And the silouhette of the reef rising up was cool.

Back
Top Bottom