The Cost of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife asked me this question. I wasn't real sure how to answer so I started totaling gear. After it passed $12,000 I quit and asked her if she really wanted to know (she loves to dive too). Her answer....No lets just go diving.:wink: My response....Grab your gear we're outta here.:mean:

MonkSeal once bubbled...

I found the solution: I sent her for OW training and everything was solved.

Mine can't really swim. She doesn't like the ocean, except in Hawaii. She has had ear problems as a kid. She has zero interest in carrying the gear on her shoulders ;-0

She did say she wanted to do a try out this summer. I'm not even sure that she should...

MonkSeal once bubbled...

I found the solution: I sent her for OW training and everything was solved.

Did the same here. It was well worth it.

Now why would you go and ask a question like that? Denial is more than just a river in Africa. Part of the reason I enjoy diving is because I never add up the cost of:

Fuel in the truck (F250 SD 4x4 crewcab sucks diesel)
Wear and tear on same
Fuel in the boat (sucks gas, still 2 stroke)
Wear and tear on same
Jugs o’ gas and VIPs
All of that shiny expensive gear
All of that expensive training to use it

I prefer to go blissfully along and rationalize diving. I can’t work every day of the year so I may as well take a week off. Since I’m off I may as well get out of the house. Since I’m leaving the house I may as well go to the keys. May as well take the boat. May as well take gear. May as well go diving. Pretty soon it’s just a coincidence that I’m in Marathon on the Thunderbolt. And in my mind, all it really costs is a few refills for me and the wife. Not bad. All of that fun for a few bucks.

I guess it comes down to justification. Personally, i've loved every minute underwater and i think thats worth it. Someday if i ever stop buying big stuff, i think it will start to get to a lower cost per dive but I'm not sure when that will be. I seem to always have that next big thing in mind and thats my biggest problem. I've just really got the scooter itch, and I'm doing everything in my power to fight it for a while. Its a battle i will eventually lose (i've lost all the previous battles as well :) ). I keep telling people diving really doesnt have to be that expensive, and i think maybe it doesn't. I do think though that you cant worry about what you spend on it or it could quickly lose some of the joy. I'm just trying to get all the toys out of the way before i actually have to grow up.

steve

when attempting to calc the total lifetime dive costs the answer on my calcuator is in scientific notation...?

Rut roh...

as with any recreational sport the longer your in it the more it costs...you start out with the basics and work your way up...

I don't have to add it up. The wife (non-diver) reminds me on a regular basis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom