The Cost of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, it's just an excuse to dive more.

I need to dive more honey...see, if I make another 100 dives this year, my per dive cost will only be $15!!!

Heh.

You must never ask this question about a hobby. :no:

I once got curious and tallied up all of my bills for my horse. Vet bills, shoeing, board, feed, equipment, the works.
I spent the rest of the weekend inside, doors closed, blinds drawn, gin bottle by my side. I shall never make that mistake again.

Ahh the cost of diving...

As a part of my ITC included "dive business", I did the cool little NAUI worksheet where I add up the costs of all my equipment, books, tuition, gas spent driving to ITC scuba related places, cost of parking, Nitrox, Air, supplies, Insurance, NAUI fees, etc.

I like how they delicately have you amortise the costs over 10 years. BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!

This was not my favorite part of the course...

SueMermaid once bubbled...
You must never ask this question about a hobby. :no:

I once got curious and tallied up all of my bills for my horse. Vet bills, shoeing, board, feed, equipment, the works.
I spent the rest of the weekend inside, doors closed, blinds drawn, gin bottle by my side. I shall never make that mistake again.

Now why did you have to bring up horses? Huh, tell me, why? I've been managing, quite well I thought , not to think about those outrageously expensive creatures (dressage and event type) since I took up my new hobby (which was supposed to be less expensive :haha: ). I'm so depressed now:wink:. I just remembered, only 6 weeks till 10 days in the Keys, life is still good.:mean:

The cost is a varaible depending on who I am talking to and when. Wife:Before I bought my equipment renting for the local quarry dive was not that expensive. Now that I have purchased my own gear rental costs have soared in order to better justify the expense of buying equipment. I don't figure training because that would only serve to increase the cost.
We will go on a vacation every summer anyway. It just turns out that we have not been anywhere there is no diving since I was certified. Pure coincidence of course therefore no additional expense. The cost going out on a boat pales when compared to the cost shopping in an exotic locale. Although quite by happenstance we are traveling to more remote locations "better beaches" you know and somehow shopping is not as availible. So far at least this has worked. I can't believe it!
When talking to someone who I think would or should be diving it is not that expensive when compared to say golf. To others it is pricey.
To other divers it dosen't matter because fellow addicts just know by looking at you.

To all cost is no object when safety is involved. A much easier line when used for diving then a new putter.

LDS this junk is WAY too expensive. Any deals?

On line how much is shipping and by the way send it to my office definitely not my home.

The real answer to the question is I have no idea. I do feel a little guilty though till I get wet. Then who cares?

and my OW cert cost me just under $1500 in '94. Im still using the same stuff I bought back then. Did no diving from July '96 to August 2000. I have just under 200 dives. Roughly $7.50 per dive for the gear and the initial training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom