The cost of Padi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

storm1fishing

Registered
Reaction score
I have read various threads in the past about Padi being a rip off and never paid them much mind.
I was talking to an instructor friend of mine while going out to a dive site this weekend and he was telling me that when you do the Padi AOW , from January this year , you now have to buy the Padi adventures in diving from the dive supply shop. I dont have a problem with having to have the manual , But since this latest Padi (rule ) , the price of the manual has also doubled. I bought my manual late last year , at the dive supply shop , for 1600 thai baht. That same manual , at the same shop , now costs 3067 thai baht.
While I fully support the need for good training and that having your own books and manuals is best , I am starting to agree with those that already think that
PADI IS A RIPOFF.

Sorry but I think it is your dive shop that is responsible for the price increase. I know that in the Americas the price didn't double. The 2005 retail price for the manual and data carrier is: $34.46 and the 2006 price is: $35.42. Just a small increase.

Dennis

Most of my dive buddies (who are PADI certified) say PADI stands for:

Put
Another
Dollar
In

You decide...

Yup, that's a dive centre thing, not a PADI thing. There was a minimal increase in the manuals.

Also, you don't HAVE to buy the manual from the dive shop - they want you to and encourage you to, but PADI itself can't force you to. The dive shop can insist you have one for the course as a course requirement and they may even price the course as inclusive. They may not give you the retail cost break if you have your own. But that ain't the agency, it's the shop.

There is another alternative for all of you who think PADI is such a ripoff and lousy organization... Go Somewhere Else and Quit Complaining. You don't "HAVE" to do anything and I for one am getting fed up with all the constant complaining. If you don't like PADI, fine. Don't give them your money or your time.

There, now I feel better.

Well, I understand your point about going somewhere else. Still, PADI would be wise to tune their ear towards this growing sentiment.

Another that's the shop, not PADI reply. The AID book is required for AOW because of the knowledge reviews, but if you already own it, you don't need to buy another one. Also, you don't need to buy it from the shop that conducts your AOW. However, some shops will charge you a package price for AOW that includes the dives and book. If you already have the book, too bad, no discounts. At that point either find another shop or take the book and ebay it.

catherine96821:
Still, PADI would be wise to tune their ear towards this growing sentiment.

Although this may be true, the vast majority of the complaints I see about PADI (or other agencies) "ripping" people off, aren't PADIs (or other agencies) decisions. It is the dive centres and/or instructors. This is the case in this instance - it has nothing to do with PADI, yet PADI is blamed.

We all need to step back and identify the true issue, not point fingers at the big guy just coz he's big.

well, I have a friend who has certified a lot of divers over the years and he said that he got a phone call about taking their little logo off his website unless he paid for the use. It struck me funny. I mean if you are a dealer of some product, how would you take it if the company wanted to charge you to tell people that you had their product. Look, I don't care one way or another. My livelihood is in no way tied to PADI, I just am hearing a lot of disatisfaction rather suddenly out there. There seems to be something changing, I have no idea what it is. There are always the malcontents out there but the people that have caught my attention lately are the positive, non-complainer types. I just think something is up.

Back
Top Bottom