The cost of Padi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

storm1fishing:
When I originally posted this thread it was not about the cost of scube diving or about the sport in general.
It relates to the fact that since you now have to buy the manual from padi , the price has also doubled. I was firstly under the impression that the price increase was from padi , hence my comment that they were holding us to ransom ,but it seams that it is more from our good dive supply shops here in thailand. I did apologies in a previous posting for the mis-understanding. The only problem I now have , is that many of the students that are forced to buy the book are Thai's , and cannot read english , so they still get their learning material from the local instructor , but also have to fork out money for a book they cannot use.
Now that is a problem.
and Cathy, thanks for setting the record straight, Ron is one smart guy, he's set me straight before. :wink:

hey, Freediver, that was gross! David, you know I have to stick up for myself around here....:10:

No worries Farah. :D

Boy, I've missed a lot of discussion here!

I love books, especially reference books, and buy them cheerfully, and keep them forever . I still have math textbooks from college, and that was an embarrassingly long time ago. But I have to say that I found the quality of the PADI instruction materials I have bought -- OW, AOW, Photography (although Peter bought that one), and Rescue -- to be annoying. I found the books to be written down to a level that was really irritating. The videos were far worse, and we elected not to purchase the one for Rescue. I guess I have been a student for so many years that I just don't see the need to sugar-coat everything so that the student makes a minimal effort.

In contrast, I recently took the NAUI Nitrox course. I was impressed with the fact that the instructional manual appeared to be written for adults, and reasonably literate ones at that. Perhaps it is a difference in the level of the course -- but I bought the PADI Divemaster book during my OW class, because I was frustrated with how watered-down the information I was getting was, and found that book to be unsatisfying as well. Clay Coleman's Certified Diver's Handbook had more information and was far better written.

GUE, from which I have also taken instruction, does not have a lot of good written materials. They use JJ's book, which is absolutely written for adults and makes no pretense of making its contents palatable -- just readable. Of course, there are no tables and no calculations in it, either.

I really think diving could use some well written reference materials designed for the moderately educated adult learner -- something that uses a reasonable vocabulary and doesn't involve anybody wearing Hawaiian shirts. But that may just be me.

daniel f aleman:
Feel free to buy the Navy Dive Manual.
Thats right...lets dive to yesterdays knowledge and technology.

oh, no, this can't be good.

catherine96821:
oh, no, this can't be good.
Its all good :D

Have you all lost your freakin' minds???

This is scuba diving, it's not so hard that a normal, average intelligence adult can't understand the concepts. You all have taken it so far beyond the boundaries of reason it's absolutely ridiculous. Who says that you need a college education, much less 2 years of college level physics, to understand this stuff?

This thread has gotten so far out of hand, it seriously need a valium.

Again, people, just go diving. It really is that simple.

R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom