The great dive computer poll 2004

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Still have my 6 year old Uwatec Pro Nitrox. Battery reads 52% after 500 or so dives.

diver_paula:
This dates me.... Suunto Solution with a Suunto Companion as backup.

OK, why do I have the computers I do?.....

o I started diving in 1988 with a pressure, depth gauge and a bottom timer. & a very long Sherwood console with the compass at the end.

o After a few years I decided to move to a computer. I chose the Suunto Solution because of it's 'conservative' profiles. I had a couple hundred dives and had been checking out all my buddy's computers. The Edge just seemed too darn large and risky. & those with them always seemed to be changing batteries. A buddy I dove with quite frequently was the only one in the club with a Suunto and it happened to be a Solution which was the top of their line at the time. I used to watch it during safety stops and liked what I saw. I had also rented or borrowed different computers during charters and trips. The Solution was my first choice.

So I then dove with a Solution but still dove with the depth gauge and bottom timer as backup.

o I went on a trip to Truk, Kosrae and Pohnpei in 1995 and borrowed a friend's Skinny Dipper as a backup computer. I stuck it in my pocket. It's only purpose was to not have to sit out 24 hours of diving if the Solution met an untimely death. I think I did the same thing on a North Carolina charter. The Skinny Dipper backfired. During the first 3 dives of the day the Suunto was more conservative. But, during either the 4th and 5th five of the day in Truk the conservancy switched and the Skinny Dipper was more conservative.

o So.... the following year (1996) I decided to purchase my own back-up computer prior to going on a live-aboard to Belize. I decided on the Suunto Companion as it had an identical algorithm to the Solution. The features were less but then so was the price. At this time I also purchased the Suunto console, depth gauge and compass which was much smaller than the Sherwood. & thus I started to dive every dive with the two Suunto computers.

o It's also time to move on. I got Nitrox certified a few years ago. I dive Nitrox but using the air computer for conservancy. (& did all the calcs. to figure out I wouldn't go into toxicity.) This worked quite well in 2003 when I went back to Micronesia - Yap & Truk.

Have a few decisions to make. I've started diving below 130' occassionally (not too much deeper) and want to go to a computer that can handle the decompression and also at least 2 gasses. I don't want to be the only one hanging at the decompression stops.

Hope that answered your questions.
Paula

Vytec. Period

Suunto Vytec AI :D

Diverite B'Air for my son (now 12 years old) and a Niktek 3 for myself. So far extremely happy with both. I switched to a computer for him since he was always off the tables due to the divemasters using computers. A little frustrating, he got certified at 10 and understands the multilevel part but it's not something I can show by calculations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom