The long hose and jacket bc's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oversea

Reaction score
I posted this in the general area because of both the reg hose and jacket of this topic. My question is this, will a long 5-7' primary second stage hose work as it does with a BP/W setup? I ask because I have both a BP/W and a jacket. While I intend on using the BP/W more, for smaller dives and traveling I intend on using the jacket. I ultimately want to be able to leave my reg configurations the same for both bc's. Oh, when I say work, I mean as far as the routing, tucking etc. I have not used this setup and have only read about it so if something sounds stupid, please clarify for me.
Thanks

A 5' will work fine, since it goes right under the arm and doesn't need to be tucked anywhere.. dunno about a 7', but I'm curious. Plan on keeping a backup bungeed around the neck?

Seems to me it will work just fine. All you are doing is changing the type of buoyancy compensating device that you are using, it has no effect upon your regulator setup.

Safe dives . . .
. . . safer ascents

the K

jonnythan:
A 5' will work fine, since it goes right under the arm and doesn't need to be tucked anywhere.. dunno about a 7', but I'm curious. Plan on keeping a backup bungeed around the neck?

Yes, thats the idea. I like the bungeed backup. I am trying to make a reg confiuration suitable for use with both my bc's.

It is not the type of bc that makes the difference when using the long hose.

That said, if you are diving open water and not in an overhead, the 5' hose is recommended anyway. The 7' hose is suggested for wreck and cave diving so that both divers can swim in a "follow the leader" configuration. This is not necessary in open water. The 5' hose will give you plenty of room to swim comfortably.

oversea:
My concern was just based upon proper routing and if it was attainable with a jacket.
The routing of the hose really depends on the specific jacket and how it is design. Most, however, do have a cumberbund and a belt over the cumberbund. You can route the hose from the regulator first stage, down your right side, the across your stomach, loop it around the back of your neck and into your mouth. The excess hose can be tucked into the cumberbund or if you have the belt over the cumberbund, tuck it through there.

Hope this helps.

Or you can just get a plastic backplate similar to the one by AP Valves of the UK... Add your own webbing and for recreational diving you are not bad off - mine is lighter than my BC and pack smaller. And it is the same plate used in the Buddy BC's - tough and more than adequate. If you are not diving in the tropics, the weight belt becomes an issue again though :wink: But my steel plate just takes to big a chunk of my luggage allowance :10: At least you are using the same "familiar" configuration.

oversea:

i dove a 7-foot hose with an Oceanic Probe (hehe... he said "probe") for a while,
and it worked great. never had a problem, and i did a lot of simulated air shares
with it.

(i feel like deja vu all over again :D)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom