The most powerful fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me it's been the Mares Graphite Power Plana. These are 20 years old and outperform Jets in both raw thrust and precision manuvering. They take some serious leg muscles, though.

...Of course, they aren't made anymore. So, Jets are the best alternative.

I had some of those and recently threw them away after they split from age, they were going soft and folding under also. However, I have performed swim tests with a variety of fins including the PP Graphite. They are a good fin, however, in my swim tests they only came in mid pack.

My swim test were/are performed, rotating through the test fins, after building a base fitness level. I swim my mile freestyle and then swim a fin for a 1/4 mile for time. Then I record, I alternate through the test selection over about 3 months and average out the times. Jets, FF, UDT Ducks always do well among scuba fins. The flat out slowest were Rockets. About like wearing lead boots.

"Power" of a fin has much to do with the "power" of your legs and your aerobic engine, your heart, lungs and circulatory system.

I just bought a set of Mares Avanti X3 on closeout to replace the PP Graphites as my light weight alternative to Jets or UDTs.

N

The flat out slowest were Rockets. About like wearing lead boots.

N
I like Jets and Avanti Quattro for power.

Just curious, where are your Rockets made? I had a pair from Japan and have a pair made in the US. They look identical but the one from Japan is not flexible at all.

I like Jets and Avanti Quattro for power.

Just curious, where are your Rockets made? I had a pair from Japan and have a pair made in the US. They look identical but the one from Japan is not flexible at all.

My Jets held at 1/3 blade:

DSCF0004-1.jpg

My Rockets held at 1/3 of blade:

DSCF0005-1.jpg

N

My Jets held at 1/3 blade:

My Rockets held at 1/3 of blade:

N

Which would make the Rockets the "most powerful" fin ....as long as you have Conan's thighs and could actually bend them with a kick in water.

I just did what Nemrod did with my OMS Slipstreams. I lined them up between the 's' and the 't' and they flex maybe an 1 to 1-1/2' more than his Rockets...no where near his Jets.

Which would make the Rockets the "most powerful" fin ....as long as you have Conan's thighs and could actually bend them with a kick in water.

While it is conventional wisdom, urban legend, whatever, that stiff fins are more "powerful" the actual evidence and real world experiences of many dictate otherwise.

No, Rockets are not more "powerful," they are just stiff and dull.

N

Never mind.

Last edited:
Okay I know this will probably be contraversial and subjective but which are the most powerful fins? I heard that Scubapro Jets size XL produce the most thrust. What do you think?

If you're diving to see cool stuff, you'll discover that no matter what fin you get, you're the slowest, noisiest, least-efficient creature in the water. I'd suggest getting whatever fins fit and don't make your muscles or joints hurt, then work on buoyancy control, trim and remaining still.

You'll see hundreds of times more cool stuff quietly hanging out in a small area than you will jetting around through the rocks and coral.

If you really need to do a lot of moving for some reason, I'd suggest a boat and/or a scooter, since no matter what fins you get, moving uses your air faster, which will shorten your dive.

Terry

If you're diving to see cool stuff, you'll discover that no matter what fin you get, you're the slowest, noisiest, least-efficient creature in the water. I'd suggest getting whatever fins fit and don't make your muscles or joints hurt, then work on buoyancy control, trim and remaining still.

You'll see hundreds of times more cool stuff quietly hanging out in a small area than you will jetting around through the rocks and coral.
I couldn't agree more, Terry. This is very good advice, especially considering the limited visibility (10-15 ft.) at some of the local dive sites here in San Diego.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom