The "other" end of the DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
As a beginning recreational OW diver and a beginning DIR diver, I don't see how this statement is correct. Most of the skills that DIR teaches such as bouyancy control, S-Drills while neutral, etc are clearly applicable to rec diving.

Last time I checked those were not exclusive to DIR. Good buoyancy control and ability to perform skills while neutral are just common to good divers.

Having said that, I don't care in open water if someone else dives PADI OW-style,

What exactly is PADI OW-Style?

I'm not picking on you I'm just trying to get clarification.

I've met a few "DIR" divers, and they have been very poor ambassadors at best. I won't go into any details, we have all heard them, some I have not meet but have shown themselves on this board. I do realize that they are but a vocal minority and have not based my decisions on the influence they have made. I have chosen not to pursue DIR training for several reasons at this time. I have in the past been taught several of the techniques, and guided towards gear configuration, that have now been associated with DIR, all prior to ever hearing about DIR. So I have to ask myself just a few questions.

Q: Do I at any time feel myself at undue risk when diving with someone who is not outfitted exactly as I am, or even close to how I am, under the water?

A: Not in the slightest. In fact being able to adapt and use the gray matter between my ears in order to act swiftly and appropriately has been the focus of most of my "Tech" training. Sad to say, I have had to act on a few occasions, but because of the adaptability built into the drills we do, they all turned out just fine without any injuries. I have absolutely no problem diving with someone who is not a cookie cutter version of myself, and enjoy the sociable aspect of be open to new buddies.

Q: Am I comfortable in the water, with precision control of my buoyancy, good fining techniques that leave absolutely no silt trail, and know where my buddy and I are at any moment during a dive?

A: Yes!

Q: Am I comfortable with new divers?

A: Without question I am comfortable with new divers. I do know and accept the fact that I am, for the most part, “solo” if something were to go wrong. Which is why dives with new divers or divers with limited experience are also limited to NDL dives. I would not deny myself the pleasure of adding to the excitement and thrill that new divers experience. I have found many new friends by being not only open, but encouraging to new divers. They all want to learn, and when they ask dozens of question after the dive, such as “how do you do that frog kick”, or “how do you just hang there without moving when we did the safety stop”. I not only tell them, but work with them on the next dive on building those skills. That is part of the fun in diving, and why I will never say no to a new buddy.

With this and more questions I have asked myself, I have concluded that the DIR style of diving offers me nothing of value. That is not to say that if I ever take up cave diving I would not reconsider DIR. But seeing as the only caves are hundreds or thousands of miles from here, that time may be a long ways away. As for my wreck diving, the techniques we use have been tried and tested to show themselves as the most logical and safest methods available.

If any non-DIR divers still want to answer the question "why haven't YOU taken up DIR?" you are free to do so - practically flame-free if you are the same. :D

Zippsy:
If any non-DIR divers still want to answer the question "why haven't YOU taken up DIR?" you are free to do so - practically flame-free if you are the same. :D

I'll give it a try:

When I first started visiting rec.scuba I kept reading references to DIR and finally asked what it was. Naturally I got flamed in the tried and true rec.scuban style, but I survived. I also found out a lot about DIR from them. It made a lot of sense. In fact none of it doesn't make sense. I didn't like all the people who espoused it, and certainly wasn't impressed with the way some of them played the superior "I have found the one true path" role. But then I came to realize that they were in the minority, and that most of the folks who had taken up the DIR way were pretty good people and didn't try to jam it down my throat. In fact I could name a few who've been here from time to time who are as DIR as it gets and refuse to wear the name.

But as for why I'm not DIR, and probably never will be ... it's too damned hard. It requires self-discipline beyond anything I'm apparently willing to invest. In fairness, I'm a shallow water diver and I'm getting a little long in the tooth. I doubt I'll ever go much beyond 120' without some very compelling reason, and you can bet that if I do, I'll be diving according to the gospel of DIR. And I have a low threshold for boredom, so deco hangtime is absolutely unappealing. Therefore I'm not likely to be going into deco country on a regular, or even irregular basis. That's why we plan our dives, and dive our plans, and why we use Nitrox when we want to stay longer.

When and if I go back into caves, I'll be as purely DIR as I can be. Otherwise I'll adopt as many of the DIR tenets as I realistically can in my easy-going way, because, as I said earlier, I don't think any of it's wrong. The real DIR guys are good. They work hard at being good. I'm lazy. I only want to work at having fun. It's just a lot easier to go the nuther way. 8)

JohnF

I'd like to take DIRF for the training and to see what it has to offer, but the cost... ouch!! Maybe in a couple of years if I'm not to old.

Wijbrandus:
I don't really see how it's a rational argument to say that JJ is doing you a disservice by selling gear at Halcyon that meets the standards GUE sets. You can always dive of other stuff. You don't have to be DIR. Sometimes I feel this whole issue is a sour grapes thing. "Mike is diving different than me. I know mine is the best, so I have to beat on Mike for not doing it MY way."

You obviously have been beaten on for not diving DIR this is just some revenge going on here :).

The Halcyon issue is interesting a few people have defended this matter saying they are fed up correcting the issue that other manufatcurers are allowed other than Halcyon. well strange becuse unless i am mistaken only ONE post in these 12 pages actually says i dont want to change my wing to halcyon, every other non-DIR post mentions DIR preference for Halcyon.

I dont think anyone posting here is too blame but there are certainly a few (maybe DIR wannabees) who push Halcyon at every oportunity even suggesting using something else will kill you! Now GUE can do nothing to stop these people, but it leaves a nasty taste and promotes the DIR Ogre.

lamont:
As far as gear placement goes, things like DIR placement of the depth gauge/computer on the right hand so that you can watch it while you control your bouyancy is beneficial in the rec environment.

If you are a righty and do things like lobster hunting, putting your computer/timer on you right hand would only mean either breaking your computer, not being able to get your hand in the hole or worse getting it stuck...

I choose to dive with a bc or a backplate - others may exclusively choose one or the other.

I choose to dive solo on occasion - others may choose to dive deep, into caves or into wrecks on occasion.

I choose to dive with divers with all sorts of styles - others may choose to dive only with a certain style of diver.

I don’t believe my preferences to be an all encompassing mode of doing it right or even less risky than all others.

I don’t label all other dive preferences as being wrong or more risky - unless a specific condition in a specific circumstance leads me to this conclusion.

I have not found one source that contains all the answers for me, so I pick and choose here and there. I do not restrict or limit my choices by confining myself to any one all encompassing method, ideology or holistic approach limited by boundaries - in diving as well as in life.

MHK:
The point being is that everyone must judge for themselves what risks are acceptable to them. Getting into a debate about what is "safe" -v- "unsafe" will vary from one diver to the next, from one region to the next and from one agency to the next. What those of us that have adopted DIR have determined is that the diving protocols associated with DIR principles are at the level we accept and any deviation poses, for us, and unncessary and unacceptable level of increased risk. As I noted, everyone is free to access their own risk levels, but you must accept our right to dive as we see fit, just as we accept your right to dive as you see fit.

It would be nice if those in the KNOW of DIR would practice and preach your words above. However, I must concur with Diver0001's post regarding “double-speak”. DIR is explained with varying degrees of understanding by its practitioners and followers, as I view it. When one looks at the utterances coming from all DIR followers one finds examples of derogatory terms towards others and expressions of the DIR dive choices as being the best and safest for all divers in all environments. While some propose that these utterances come from those not very knowledgeable on the subject, I would propose that this is endemic within DIR - its systemic. It is expressed to varying degrees from the top to the bottom. Founders, instructors, students and wannabee’s alike, with many fanning the flames and few or none correcting misinterpretations. This is one of the two major reasons you guys encounter so much resistance from other divers. The other being the demand to conform to the choices DIR has to offer, some of these restriction simply exclude the choice of many to do it right.

Regarding the concept that certain gear configurations and techniques translate into acceptable use in different environments and offer the advantages of familiarity in configuration and action response, one must place this idea in context. Different environments may demand certain adjustments to gear configuration or response techniques in order to derive optimum proficiency. Leaving this important caveat out misleads many into the false belief they are optimized for all environments and others are inferior to them. This is a widely held misconception often heard from DIR divers.

I believe those who choose to dive DIR have chosen a good, sound diving system. It is not for everyone, as they state. There are other good, sound diving ways to dive. Safety risks will vary depending on comparisons made. None have a monopoly on the claim of best - in all conditions - for all divers.

Zippsy:

Sure, I'll bite. Basically, I had a good go around with a couple guys up here in MA that thought they were God's gift to diving after they did their GUE training. Made me feel like I was a doofus who didnt know a dang thing. To make it worse, I had been diving for three times as long as one of these guys. The attitude really turns me off. It just raises my hackles, and makes me want to get into strike mode automatically. I cant stand that. So, I try to avoid all DIR threads on message boards, and try to stay out of those types of discussions with people. (I hope my post isnt a flame!!!)
The fact that its called "doing it right" really irritates me. In a way, meaning that everyone else is wrong. Then, the way they market themselves. Its like the pied piper playing a tune that gets all the mice entranced, and off they go following the leader. I dont know, to me its like sheep mentality. We know best, listen to us. Then, when anyone says something that is not DIR, OMG, watch out, here come the flames. "THE ONE TRUE PATH"

Well, there it is. If thats a flame, then mods pull it. Thats the best I could do to explain it.

H2Andy:
why call them "zealots"? they just believe that not doing something a particular way is dangerous, and are vocal about their opinion, as you are of yours.
Why call me a stroke, I will call them what I like, touche

Back
Top Bottom