The Pasley May 06 Dive Report Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetrat:
Those blue stripe nudis are awesome Ken - thanks for posting! Nice SAC rate Josh... just think when you get your drysuit.

The two on a bulb are about the size of your pinky nail. It was a Nudi colony last night, but the dang fry keep horning in on the pics... I can't wait until they're gone.

Still looking for that Lion King Nudi again....

---
Ken

Really nice shots of the Polycera atras. See you next week for some more 'branch-0-holic fun.

Terry

wow Ken, great Report! I've never seen polycera nudibranchs before, now I have to go to Vets this weekend and look for them... what depth were they at? (the blue stripe nudis)

also, nice photo of baby rocky. I think he's a sculpin!

btw, what is a waterheater??????

scott

scottfiji:
wow Ken, great Report! I've never seen polycera nudibranchs before, now I have to go to Vets this weekend and look for them... what depth were they at? (the blue stripe nudis)

also, nice photo of baby rocky. I think he's a sculpin!

btw, what is a waterheater??????

scott

THAT'S RIGHT... Atras. duh. HBRealName told me, but I forgot. I've been to Vets a zillion times, and I usually see one or two - but on Thursday we saw tons of them. Mostly at the 55' range.

Waterheater = HP130 (either the anointed PST, or fakey upstart Worthington... take your pick)

Sculpin, scorpionfish, whatever... they're rock fish. There were tons of these, too. Funny thing, they were all so shallow in the sand. Like at 10 feet. I shot this on as were were coming back up at about 8 - 10 FSW over the sand. I'm right up in his grille as its so yucky at that depth. He was maybe 4" long, and just the cutest thing ever...

My name is Ken - and I'm a branch-o-holic....

---
Ken

Date: May 13, 2006
Dive Location: Avalon wreck and Secret Reef
Buddy(ies): Merry, Ross and Jason
Time: 10:33 and 12:45
Bottom Time: 32 and 25 minutes
Max Depth: 74' and 80'
Vis: 20'
Wave height: Flat
Temp at depth: 53F
Comments: Never dive with a sinus headache. Never EVER make a second dive with a sinus headache. I saw some amazing things underwater today, but my head was pounding so much that I didn't bother to check the settings on my camera and got fuzzy pictures of a new (to me) nudibranch, Cadlina flavomaculata. If I can clear tomorrow morning I will try for Marineland. It looked so flat and we heard reports of 15' vis.
SV5000251.JPG

SV500023.JPG

SV5000202.JPG

Lots of people showed (some of them are still there).

Two dives for me, with a good one at north/way north - 30ft vis below the thermocline.

Wolf eels, huge sheepheads and D. Iris were found.

IMG_5241.jpg

IMG_5238.jpg

I also have photographic evidence that Dr Bill actually dived the mainland for the first time in 30 - something years!

IMG_5231.jpg

Thanks to Headhunter for the org. as usual, and to Techadmin for the hamburger.

More photos are at:

http://www.mcguinness-family.net/albums/diving/SanDiego//WrinklesDiveMay_06/

Peter

After seeing the photos Jeff and Sue Shaw shot last night I just had to join them at the Cabrillo Beach boat launch. Not only did we find dozens of Lion nudis, Melibe leonina, but also a few Santa Barbara Janolus nudis, Brown Smoothound shark and a Leopard shark. The sharks were caught by a fisherman who was kind enough to allow Sue and I to release them.
SV5000321.JPG

SV500031.JPG

SV500024.JPG

SV500022.JPG

Dive One:
Date: 05/13/06
Dive Location: Rockfish Valley
Buddy(ies): Tyler
Time: 0824
Bottom Time: 69 minutes
Max Depth: 130...
Vis: 40....no really! 40ft
Swell height: ankle slappers
Temp at depth: 49f
Surface Temp: 60f
Gas mix: 21%

Dive Two:
Dive Location: NOT Vallecetos Point :(
Buddy(ies): John plus two guests
Time: 13:04
Bottom Time: 61 minutes
Max Depth: 86ft
Vis: 20-25ft
Swell height: 1-2ft mostly wind chop
Temp at depth: 49F

Dive Three:
Dive Location: South Canyon
Buddy(ies): Jackie, Bill and Andrea
Time: 16:02
Bottom Time: 66 minutes
Max Depth: 91ft
Vis: 20ft easily
Swell height: 1-2ft
Temp at depth: 51f

Gallery: http://www.scubapost.net/forums/Scorpionfish/051306/

What a glorious day of diving! The day brought lots of good friends and great life out. Sea Bass was the word of the day for me. That and angel shark and butterfly ray and wolf eel and nudibranchs and and and.....Well, you get the idea.

First Dive was a deeper dive with Tyler and we were pleased to see no surf as we pulled on the doubles, clipped on the stages and strolled across the sand chanting "it's not that heavy, it's not that heavy" under our breath. The kick out was easy and soon we were gliding down the draw and passed the secret gardens where, looking back as we passed 120ft we could still se the lights of the divers along the wall.....nice. Soon enough we arrived at our planned depth and enjoyed the structure of ledges and over hangs and the bold rockfish that live here. They rarely see divers and don't spook like there cousins up on the hill. All too soon it was time to head back so we turned east and began the slow ascent, making our stops and just enjoying the great visibility and quiet of the ocean. Tick tick tick, the minutes passed and soon we were back in the shallows and switching gas when I looked down and I could just make out the outline of the biggest butterfly ray I have ever seen. Dusting off the sand I took a few pictures and the settled over it. I extended my arms and tip to tip I would say it was at least 4ft across. Nice!

Three hours late, having finally off gassed enough that my computer was happy, John and I made the trek across the sand into the mostly calm seas. The wind had come up, as it always does and the surface had some chop but still and outstanding day to dive. Two other dives, whose names I forget, joined us. The PLAN was to go out the Vallecetos Point and since I had been there 3 times this week, I was sure I could guide them true. Ahh the best laid plans.... We dropped to far south, I knew we were but didn’t realize how far south until we kicked for 10 minutes and still didn’t find the wall. :-( Sorry guys. We explored the detritus patches and along the sandy slope, taking pictures here and there until the gas ran low and NDL again pushed back up the hill and across the sand. I had just clipped off my camera for the final few feet of the dive before surfacing when out of the gloom of the algae bloom the monster appears....moving seemingly without effort but cutting the water like a blade through butter.....SEA BASS I screeched into my regulator with delight!! My buddy, intent on looking the other way, did not hear my girlish scream and missed it. But it was there and many others reported seeing this one and another the same day. Nice!

Dive three was made with Jackie, Dr. Bill of Catalina fame and his dive buddy Andrea. Doc had not made a mainland dive in 35 years until today. He was surprises at what we Low-Cal divers consider walls but seemed to be having fun filming the species we have here. He is a marine biologist and was hoping to add more new species to his library of footage. So off we went, making the surface swim if fair time and dropping just north of the WALL. Heading south we were soon exploring. Jackie and I took the face and Bill and Andrea stayed above as we moved along. Fringeheads and large rock crabs were the order of the day on this dive. A few octopuses and many navanax rounded out the dive nicely. The cruise back across the sand dollar beds found many pipefish and the occasional globe crab. We kicked well into the shallows, finally standing up at about 4ft. Just as I was taking the final few steps back to the beach, two small leopard sharks swam past me in knee deep water. Nice.

Terry S.

LaJolla5130607.jpg

LaJolla5130609.jpg

LaJolla5130618.jpg

LaJolla5130621.jpg

LaJolla5130664.jpg

LaJolla5130670.jpg

LaJolla5130677.jpg

LaJolla5130687.jpg

So where is the Cabrillo Boat Launch???? The guy that started my nudibranch addiction is looking to get some shots to add to his collection. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Terry

It's at the NE corner of the parking lot where Cabrillo Beach and the Cabrillo Aquarium are located in San Pedro.
http://tinyurl.com/jxdga

BTW, I tried sticking my housing in the water, but the best shots were from the surface with a dry camera. They are on the kelp fronds in a couple inches of water along with a few Santa Barbara Janolus. While we were shooting, a fisherman caught Leopard and Brown Smoothound sharks, which he was kind enough to allow us to release. Lots of marinelife for staying in dry clothes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom