The Rabbit is hitting the springs March 24-28, hop over and say "Hi!"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and a much better dive
:wink:
I would do BG first since beginners tend to silt it up, then make a quick get-a-way to the Den which is more difficult to silt, but will silt.

Damn girl, next time plan a weekend..........
It's spring break, I have to DRIVE on the weekend :wink: It's 13 hours down and back, sometimes we do it in a day but sometimes I can't sit in a car that long at a stretch.
Besides the sites are too crowded on the weekends, I can dive crowded sites at home without taking time off work.

not near DD.:shakehead: Blue Springs in Orange City, Fl.
I think your students may find it a better dive than Alex. I Don't Want To Start an A vs B Thread :no... I'm just trying to offer a little advise :coffee: (yea I know the stinky thing too about advise...):rofl3::rofl3:

Alex. Spr. is an easy dive for students and beginners. (bottom :mooner: = 22ft) When silted up :no it quickly clears:eyebrow:. There is also a lot of fresh water wildlife to be seen (good idea to suggest some students buy disposable h2o cameras @ walmart).
I had never heard of Alexander Springs until NetDoc suggested it two years ago. I LOVE the site with all the critters. The alligator in my gallery was there last year, that was TOO COOL! I hear they've probably removed that gator though. The students have seen the Florida Springs video segment on Alexander and my pictures from the last two years. Alexander is one we were considering replacing with something else just because it's so far away. That was normally my first day site since it's so shallow but this time the students are coming in on Monday and Tuesday so they will be certified by the time we could hit Alexander if we do it on Wednesday.

We haven't had any silting issues when we've been there with one exception. Part of the side of the spring collapsed and sent sand everywhere and me looking for the responsible student. The students were nowhere near the sand blizzard though, NetDoc said he'd never seen the spring cave in like that but it was a natural cave-in not student induced.

Blue Springs in Orange City has a little hike (along board walkway) to the water and a hike upstream to the spring head (in water). the trip is well worth it. lots of shallow (<15 ft) space for snorkeling and a log @ 12-15 ft for safety stops. the spring has a mod for ow dives @ 60 (warning sign there). Most days divers can watch the squirrels run through the trees from 40 ft below the surface.
Following the dive there is an opp. for a down stream snorkel/shallow dive (<8 ft) down to the swimming area where divers may exit closer to their cars. Blue will probably be a little tight for 14 + divers.

Both sites (like most dive sites) have + & -, if you are diving first thing @ Alex. I can poss. meet you in the morning, but have to be at work later that day (1 hr drive for me). let me know if I can help you in any way.
That would mean one more EAP set and information packet I would have to put together too :11: Since Mom died unexpectedly it's a little challenging to find extra time to add to the trip planning stuff I had done last month.

Are you aware that Blue Grotto is only 2 miles (or less) from Devil's Den?

and a much better dive
:wink:

I would do BG first since beginners tend to silt it up, then make a quick get-a-way to the Den which is more difficult to silt, but will silt.

I've been looking at that. Never been there and the steep entrance fees and air fills are a real turn off especially since these kids are doing this on a college student budget. I love Devils Den but I've got a degree in Geology so there's a little extra rock geek appreciation going on there :dork2:

I tried to send a request for information via email to the address listed on the Blue Grotto site but it bounced back as undeliverable from both my home and work email addresses.
Ber :lilbunny:

It's spring break, I have to DRIVE on the weekend :wink: It's 13 hours down and back, sometimes we do it in a day but sometimes I can't sit in a car that long at a stretch.
Besides the sites are too crowded on the weekends, I can dive crowded sites at home without taking time off work.

When you go that far, you should dive in the ocean (with me) on a weekend and avoid the crowded springs. Besides, I have things to share...

When you go that far, you should dive in the ocean (with me) on a weekend and avoid the crowded springs. Besides, I have things to share...

There's talk of the Keys for our August trip which would fall the week before Labor Day. Not sure if we would be diving the weekend on that one either though.

Would LOVE to get a chance to dive with you again and find out what you have to share! HUGS!

I had never heard of Alexander Springs until NetDoc suggested it two years ago. I LOVE the site with all the critters. The alligator in my gallery was there last year.
Moving Alex to beginning of the week would really free me up to do 2 springs with y'all (southern slang):rofl3:.

I've seen soft shells decide they wanted to get some air and literally appear from the sand causing a slide and silting. Last I heard the gator was relocated, I haven't seen it at all since Dec.

I'm surprised NetDoc isn't gonna make a cameo app.
confused.gif
We had a ball at the Den earlier this month (see net doc post in Get your feet wet forum/easter egg hunt)

Keep me up to date on any changes.

I may be able to make Alexander and Ber. The gator that dove with us last year has been removed. There is a rumor there is another one there now. I have been fighting colds all darn winter. So if I clear up I will come and dive.

I may be able to make Alexander and Ber. The gator that dove with us last year has been removed. There is a rumor there is another one there now. I have been fighting colds all darn winter. So if I clear up I will come and dive.

Dave, would love to have you again! I didn't want to "out" who told me the gators had been removed :D Keep an eye here as my date for Alexander could possibly change to Monday. Tuesday is definitely going to be Crystal River since I have to make arrangements to rent boats.

Tuesday is definitely going to be Crystal River since I have to make arrangements to rent boats.

Do you have room on C. R. dive? What is the cost for that? I may join you here instead of the others.... never done Crystal river...

Do you have room on C. R. dive? What is the cost for that? I may join you here instead of the others.... never done Crystal river...

We should have some room, the pontoon boats hold a max of 8 people and right now we're looking at having 10 divers and a non diver so we need two boats. We rent from Crystal Lodge Dive Center and their rate is $20 per hour per boat with a 2 hour minimum. We split the cost of the two boats evenly between everyone so even if we have 2 boats out for 6 hours it should still be about $25 per person once you figure in tax. (If my math is correct)

Last year we snorkeled Three Sisters then dove King Spring. We only did one dive last year because the visibility at King was almost good enough to be considered zero :shakehead: We did get molested by a manatee there though, it came out of the gloom and bumped my husband and I and scared us half to death.

As of now.... count me in on tues and thurs dives. (that will give me time to get tanks filled) and actually do some work. If things change I'll contact you.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom