The Scuba Snobs' Guide to Diving Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you going to print it in Japanese by any chance?
After my experience on a day boat out to the GBR when I was in Australia, I think there's a group that should read it.

I was just being a smart ass about the typo, but I honestly didn't know what the word apres meant.
Thanks.

Thanks for the clarification, I thought apres diving took place in the bar :)

ANOTHER UPDATE: Book is available NOW at barnesandnoble.com, soon on amazon.com Also, better price directly from publisher at authorhouse.com. SHop owners: email me at djjlawoffice@earthlink.net for info on orders for resale at special channel sale rates.
DivemasterDennis

Things have moved fast! The Scuba Snobs' Guide to Diving Etiquette is now available on amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, and (best price) direct from the publisher at authorhouse.com. Go to any site then type in the title and you can order. The book will be available as an e book in about 30 days ( more or less), and will soon be available in select scuba retail outlets nationwide. Asl you dive shop to get it. (they get a "chasnnell sales rate from the publisher- that is who they need to call.) Or you can walk into any bookstore and order it until they decide to stock it in store. Plese, buy it, read it, and then post your reviews here!!!
DivemasterDennis (and the scubadive, co author)

NOW AVAILABLE, amazon.com, barnesand noble.com, or from the publisher at authorhouse.com (best value). The book is doing GREAT this first week- due mostly to scubaboard member orders. Thanks! Order now- then write all about it on this thread. Or start your own!
DivemasterDennis

WOW!

I have more books and magazines on recreational diving than any one person should have, yet I am always looking for newer exciting approaches to a well thrashed subject. I thought possibly your offering might be refreshing...

Then I "googled" your book on Amazon.com...WOW!

It would prudent of you to not direct prospective customers to Amazon.com. There is a southern gentleman from the great commonwealth of Virigina who is less than impresed with you book.:

"Reviews Written by
VaDiver
Show: Most recent reviews Most recent comments Page: 1

The Scuba Snobs' Guide to Diving Ettiquette
by Debbie and Dennis Jacobson
Edition: Paperback
Price: $10.95

Availability: In Stock
6 used & new from $10.94

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:
Alternate title: "How to make the author's happy when diving with them.", June 12, 2011
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The Scuba Snobs' Guide to Diving Ettiquette (Paperback)
The authors of this book are self-admitted snobs and they are correct in their admission.

While this book does go over some basic etiquette for the novice diver, it's really just a long-winded attempt by two curmudegonly old people to tell you all of the ways you can make them happy should you end up on a boat with them.

Overall, It offers more "don'ts" than "do's" and really does not provide much genuine information for the novice diver. In fact, most of the advice is complete common sense. Gems include: "Don't puke on other divers." "Talk only when appropriate and limit yourself to proper content." "Practice proper hygenie on liveaboards."

Chapter six offers one bright spot as it deals with underwater etiquette and safety. It provides excellent information on how to get the most out of your dive without spoiling it for others.

The book ends with a tongue-in-cheek appology in case they offended anyone. Appology accepted. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they were just trying to be funny for fifty six pages.

Overall, it's a humorous read for experienced divers, but is not a good investment for those new to diving. Unless of course, you lack basic common sense and courtesy. Of course, you wouldn't consider buying this book if you didn't posess those qualities.

I would write a lenghtier review, however, the authors of The Scuba Snobs Guide to Etiquette have asked me to get off of their lawn. "

Divemaster Dennis, I will pass on your book...

sdm

The book is intended to be humorous and entertaining, even a little sarcastic and debate inducing. The advice given is proper and insightful, thanks for acknowledging that. It is not a training book- it is a fun book, and we hope everyone will read it as such. It does not pretend to be anything else. And remember, "a scuba snob is a person who loves diving, is an active diver, who has developed and demonstrates excellent diving skills and expects the same of others." We mention new divers and how we love to dive with them because they have retained their training and not yet gotten lazy or developed bad habits. Read it before you judge it. If there is bad advice, call us on it. If it makes you laugh or smile, then it did its job. Lighten up people- there are plenty of "how to" manuals in the scuba world. This anecdotal collection will ring true for most of the divers out there. Have a laugh.
DivemasterDennis

I am only the messenger== don't shoot me!
Besides I was the only one to find the review helpful...sdm

"Reviews Written by
VaDiver
Show: Most recent reviews Most recent comments Page: 1

The Scuba Snobs' Guide to Diving Ettiquette
by Debbie and Dennis Jacobson
Edition: Paperback
Price: $10.95

Availability: In Stock
6 used & new from $10.94

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:
Alternate title: "How to make the author's happy when diving with them.", June 12, 2011
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The Scuba Snobs' Guide to Diving Ettiquette (Paperback)
The authors of this book are self-admitted snobs and they are correct in their admission.

While this book does go over some basic etiquette for the novice diver, it's really just a long-winded attempt by two curmudegonly old people to tell you all of the ways you can make them happy should you end up on a boat with them.

Overall, It offers more "don'ts" than "do's" and really does not provide much genuine information for the novice diver. In fact, most of the advice is complete common sense. Gems include: "Don't puke on other divers." "Talk only when appropriate and limit yourself to proper content." "Practice proper hygenie on liveaboards."

Chapter six offers one bright spot as it deals with underwater etiquette and safety. It provides excellent information on how to get the most out of your dive without spoiling it for others.

The book ends with a tongue-in-cheek appology in case they offended anyone. Appology accepted. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they were just trying to be funny for fifty six pages.

Overall, it's a humorous read for experienced divers, but is not a good investment for those new to diving. Unless of course, you lack basic common sense and courtesy. Of course, you wouldn't consider buying this book if you didn't posess those qualities.

I would write a lenghtier review, however, the authors of The Scuba Snobs Guide to Etiquette have asked me to get off of their lawn. "

Divemaster Dennis, I will pass on your book...

sdm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom