The Scuba Snobs' Guide to Diving Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just bought the Kindle version and read it. Wonderful! You two are welcome dive buddies any time you come to Curacao, although down here if we see people standing on the coral we turn off their tanks and then get them with the speargun on the way up. It's a special Curacao Snob law. If you guys come I'll teach you, the only trick is to lead them with the speargun a little if they are ascending to fast!

Thanks for the laughs.
Jeff

A quick thank you to the many many many people who picked up a copy of the book at the Colorado Dive Show this past weekend. We enjoyed meeting all of you, and were glad we did not run out of books (barely!) Watch for an article/review on the Scubas Snobs Guide to Diving etiquette in an upcoming edition of Undercurrent and also California Diver. If you are not yet a subscriber to those fine publications, you should be!
DivemasterDennis

Dennis the Divemaster,

Many, many years ago I began partipating in an activity called for lack of a descriptive name "goggleing," which later became skindiving and is now known as recreational diving. As the sport progressed I became a Magophile/Bibliophile of the sport and began my collecting over 65 years ago. a very brief summary is as fillows:

A complete bound set of "Skin Diver" magazine (1951 to it's demise) including every diving equipment catalog published and all Underwater Film Festival programs. This is the only set of its kind in existence any where in the world.

Complete bound sets of “Dive”, “NDA News”, American Scuba Diver”, Aquarius”, "Water World", "Underwater", "Fathom", "Sport Diving”, "Underwater Photographer",” California Diver,” “ Pacific Diver”, “SCUBA PRO Diving and Snorkeling”, “Diving and Snorkeling Quarterly” “Ocean Realm”, all of which are no longer published. Maintain and bind current sets of “Dive Training”, “Sport Diver”, Historical Diver” (USA), “Historical Diving Times” (UK), and “HDS Notizie” (Italy).

The only known complete set of “Pacific and Atlantic Underwater News”, published from 1966 to 1971. It was the first newspaper devoted entirely to the underwater world.

The largest and most complete set of civilian dive training manuals begining with the Spaco manual of 1949 to 1980.

All the USN diving manuals beginning with the original 1905 "Manual for Divers" to the USN's conversion to electronic format

I have collected and maintain an extensive 1500 plus volume diving library, the majority of which are rare out of print books. Many have been personally inscribed by the authors who were also friends and diving companions,in addition to being noted diving authorities.

A bound edition of James Dugan's 1948 "First of the menfish" which introduced J.Y. Cousteau and self contained diving to the US

In May 1996 I organized and hosted the very first US diving bibliophile meeting. It was attended by diving bibliophiles from the western US and via telephone from throughout the US and by letter from bibliophiles from across the world.

<<< Upon my demise the entire collection with be inherited by my son Dr. Sam IV, who is a NAUI (life) PADI instructor, Pro 5000 diver and an ER & Hyperbaric doctor. >>>

But I donot have an inscribed copy of your 65 page book SCUBA SNOBS!

The horror of it all..........

Dr. SDM

I sent you a private message- message me an address or email at dennis@scubasnobs.com with an address and Debbie and I will send you a personalized book for you collection! Go to our website, scubasnobs.com and check out the shirts, mugs and other scuba snobs merchandise.
DivemasterDennis

A quick thank you to the many many many people who picked up a copy of the book at the Colorado Dive Show this past weekend. We enjoyed meeting all of you, and were glad we did not run out of books (barely!) Watch for an article/review on the Scubas Snobs Guide to Diving etiquette in an upcoming edition of Undercurrent and also California Diver. If you are not yet a subscriber to those fine publications, you should be!
DivemasterDennis

I had free tickets to the event. I ended up going to a couple of events with my wife that went along with her work. Sorry I missed the chance to meet you in person. I have purchased and read you book (nook version) and enjoyed it. It seemed to be much too short (the sign of a good book). Part 2 in the works?

Thanks for reading the book, and yes Book 2 is in the works. We have some dive trips coming up to gather more stories. Book 2 will be a bit longer, or at least have bigger print so it seems longer. Or both. Now, go to scubasnobs.com and get you t-shirt, hoody, mug, bumper sticker or barbeque apron or other stuff!!
DivemasterDennis

Did anyone order the book yet? Did anyone read it yet?

Just came across this thread. Im currently battling Amazon over their selling of Shark products so my Kindle has been temporarily(?) retired, but once sorted Ill be sure to get an E copy. I hope the sales have been/are going well. Good luck.

Ok, so I bought it on Kindle and read it in one sitting. (it is very short)

TBH, I can't recommend it, while some bits made me laugh (a little), I found Dennis to be the butt of too many jokes, and Debbie to be a little overbearing - especially in her evisceration of fellow divers. I consider myself a polite buddy, but would be too afraid to share a boat with Debbie for fear of incurring her wrath. The book read like a litany of complaints written by a grumpy person. Most of the advice on how to avoid their displeasure is pretty basic and involves keeping quiet, not urinating on board boats and abstaining from vomiting on other people.

I so wanted it to be funny and entertaining, as it would have been a great Xmas gift for diver friends.... Also, it is a bit expensive for something so short.

Sorry for the negative review. I DO applaud you for giving it a go and I would encourage you to try again. Perhaps a compendium of short funny diving stories? I bet if you started a thread asking for such stories, the scubaboarders would regurgitate many a fantastic tale to fill your next volume? Such a book would then be genuinely funny and a worthwhile purchase.

Just my 0.2c...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom