time change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All I need to know is that in May when I go, it's the same as it ever was.

Same here. It hit me last night that DST might not be needed with this change, so I came back here and here's the answer.

LOL .... all I know is once I DO land, I'm on Coz time .....NOTHING else matters!!!! :drunks:

Yo tambien. As I am moving into my hotel on Cozumel I conduct the Ceremonial Removal of the Watch, after which I rise and retire by solar time irrespective of clock time. The only attention I pay to the clock in the room is in order not to miss the morning dive boat. I rise with the sun, lunch is when I get back to the hotel after the morning dives, jinebra y agua tonica is at sunset, then dinner, then to bed. Rinse and repeat.

when Daylight Savings Time kicks in on March 8th (in the US) Cozumel will not follow, putting them an hour behind EST...So if they stick to this plan, they'll line up with EST (in the US) from November to March, and CST (in the US)from March to November.

No. Under the new plan, Cozumel will ALWAYS match US Eastern Standard Time (EST).

When the US moves to Daylight Saving Time, the east coast will be on Eastern Daylight Time (EDT), an hour ahead of EST, and Cozumel will remain on EST. That will definitely not put it an hour behind EST, but it will put it an hour behind EDT.

Keep in mind that for many years Cozumel's time zone has not fully matched any US time zone because Daylight Saving changes were on different dates. Now it's a bigger mismatch.

when EST goes to DST it isn't EST anymore is it? It is then EDT. So when EST goes to EDT, then Coz time stays on EST, which is also CDT, but never CST, Coz is STILL EST?

That's the way I read it.

My view is that thinking of this as "EST" is wrong anyway. Think of it as Quintana Roo Time, "QRT". Sometimes QRT will match up with a US or other time zone and other times it'll match up with different ones.

My personal prediction is that this will quickly drive everyone up the wall and that eventually they'll either follow Mexican time zone conventions and always remain an hour ahead of Yucatán or they'll adopt US conventions and switch to Daylight Saving time with the US east coast.

My personal prediction is that this will quickly drive everyone up the wall and that eventually they'll either follow Mexican time zone conventions and always remain an hour ahead of Yucatán or they'll adopt US conventions and switch to Daylight Saving time with the US east coast.

Great, That will mean sunset at 1100 PM in the summer and sunrise at 400 AM.

Great, That will mean sunset at 1100 PM in the summer and sunrise at 400 AM.
Surely you jest. Unless the Mexican can manipulate the speed of the earth's rotation or they change their definition of the length of an hour, the duration of daylight in Mexico will never be 19 hours.

---------- Post added January 24th, 2015 at 08:44 PM ----------

Keep in mind that for many years Cozumel's time zone has not fully matched any US time zone because Daylight Saving changes were on different dates. Now it's a bigger mismatch.

But it will be less confusing. The way it was before they made this change (because of the different daylight savings change dates here and there), the time on Cozumel was the same as here (Austin) at the first of the year, then it was an hour behind, then it was the same, then it was an hour behind again, then it was the same for the last part of the year.

As an FYI….

If you are traveling to Cancun or Cozumel after February 1, you will enjoy an extra hour of daylight in the evening.

The Mexican state of Quintana Roo, which includes Cancun and Cozumel, is planning to change to Eastern Standard Time Zone effective February 1, 2015. The state will set its clocks ahead one hour at 3 a.m. This change will result in local destination times for arriving and departing flights being moved one hour forward. Domestic U.S. departure, arrival and connection times to and from Cancun and Cozumel will not change.
At this time, the change impacts flights from February 1, 2015 to April 4, 2015. Airlines are submitting schedule changes over the next week.

As an FYI….

If you are traveling to Cancun or Cozumel after February 1, you will enjoy an extra hour of daylight in the evening.

The Mexican state of Quintana Roo, which includes Cancun and Cozumel, is planning to change to Eastern Standard Time Zone effective February 1, 2015. The state will set its clocks ahead one hour at 3 a.m. This change will result in local destination times for arriving and departing flights being moved one hour forward. Domestic U.S. departure, arrival and connection times to and from Cancun and Cozumel will not change.
At this time, the change impacts flights from February 1, 2015 to April 4, 2015. Airlines are submitting schedule changes over the next week.

We know.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/499379-time-change.html

I just read on another site that Felipe Carillo Puerto municipality (south of Tulum) is supposedly not going along with the time change.

If true, that's sure to work out wonderfully to have a strip across the entire state right at the middle that comprises 30% of the area of the state on a different time from the rest.

Has anyone else heard this?

Not sure if the airlines will play along. As I understand they are not going to change time for US DST so from the second Sunday in March to the first Sunday in November they will be back to US central time. When I looked last week the airlines were maintaining there schedules and only the local time in CZM temporarily shifts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom