Time for a new BCD... please chime in!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My trusty, beat-up X-Tek needs to be replaced. Here are my requirements. No, I don't plan on ever using doubles... I'm no tech diver, just a scientist.

1. Back inflation (with a torus-type bladder that won't trap air)
1b. Teeny tiny bladder rated no more than 30lbs.
2. TWO cam straps
3. SS D-rings
4. Weight Integration
5. Back/hip padding (I usually don't wear exposure suits)

So far I'm eyeballing the highly rated TransPac II, and the new Oxycheq O-Pac. Some of Zeagle's stuff maybe, like the Escape and Scout. Backplates probably won't do well with me as I do a lot of Caribbean diving with naught but a rashguard on. A large metal plate with no padding... ow!

With the TransPac, I've got an option for either the Travel Wings or the new Venture Wings. The Travel Wings look like a better design (more round), and they're more compact too. I honestly can't figure out the advantage to the Venture Wing.

waterwraith:
What kind of science do you do? What type of environments are you diving in?

I teach biological survey techniques to teens in the Caribbean, mostly in waters <60 feet. The typical environ is your generic patch reef. In some situations we have to don our gear in-water FAST, as the dive captains toss rigs overboard. I thus frown on cummerbunds over buckled harness belts... cummerbunds get all jacked up, and the velcro wears out.

Go with the Zeagle Brigade from ScubaToys...it has the Ranger harness, and the Escape bladder.

archman:
With the TransPac, I've got an option for either the Travel Wings or the new Venture Wings. The Travel Wings look like a better design (more round), and they're more compact too. I honestly can't figure out the advantage to the Venture Wing.

I think the the Transpac will do ya. I dive one (with a Rec wing) and its very easy to get in and out of. I was in Florida a couple of weeks ago diving reefs and I went without a suit on a few dives. The padded back is real nice. Plus it seems to fit all your other requirements.

BTW I don't use the integrated weights. I wear a belt when wet and a DUI weight harness when diving dry. I did use the DR trim weights for awhile, but I didn't like having to move the xtra 8lbs around when I switched tanks.

If you want a donut wing and all of the other stuff I don't know if anyone makes one that way. Are the Diverite systems weight integrated? The Zeagles are NOT donuts. You would also have to get into a 911 style harness to avoid the velcro cumberbund. Best buy for the money, if they suit you, are at www.triple-l.biz.

Hi,

I have dove the trans pac II and no problems… it seems to meet all of your criterion. BUT before you jump take another look at a backplate and harness system… Halcyon, OMS and so forth. I now dive exclusively with one and in warm water… the lack of padding is no problem… it will feel like a problem if you try it on in the store but in the water it feels fine. It has great underwater characteristics and the weights are where they need to be… integrated into the backplate over your lungs. If you need more than 6 lbs you can always add a couple of trim pouches on the tank straps and add a couple more pounds.

archman:
My trusty, beat-up X-Tek needs to be replaced. Here are my requirements. No, I don't plan on ever using doubles... I'm no tech diver, just a scientist.

1. Back inflation (with a torus-type bladder that won't trap air)
1b. Teeny tiny bladder rated no more than 30lbs.
2. TWO cam straps
3. SS D-rings
4. Weight Integration
5. Back/hip padding (I usually don't wear exposure suits)

Hey Archman, you're back! How about an S-Tek? It doesn't come stock with integrated weights, but they can be added, and it has lots and lots of very cushiony padding. You can get a 29# bladder with it, it had 2 very excellent SP cam straps and 8 SS D-rings.
Hey, wait a minute... what's an X-tek.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom