Time for a new BCD... please chime in!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I second the Brigade.

I think the pad is another $22 from Scubatoys. I didn't get it and personally think that there is plenty of padding. I did a review on the Brigade here on SB. There are also a couple of threads with info about it in them...do the search thing.

Scubakevdm:
Hey, wait a minute... what's an X-tek.

Ha ha, that's a slightly updated X-tek! They changed the "X" to an "S" (since it's ScubaPro), doodled a bit with the harness, and remarketed it.

I'm trying to avoid that model as I've come to realize that it's little more than an old TransPac I at 50% markup. The velcro adjusters on the cam bands have been a continuing nuisance... I suppose I could just have 'em replaced...

Naw! I want a new BCD!

archman:
Ha ha, that's a slightly updated X-tek! They changed the "X" to an "S" (since it's ScubaPro), doodled a bit with the harness, and remarketed it.

Hmm... I thought maybe it was for Scientists. Sorry. I'm just being silly.

BTW they fixed the crappy tank band configuration, and they are now adjustable from the outside.

I switched to BP/W setup and I'm very happy with the diference, I dive only in tropical waters in the caribbean, but use a Fullbody 3mm for exposure protection.

OMS, Halcyon and others have BP Back Pads that may be very usefull if you need them.

Check the BP/W setup, I'm very glad I did.

My brother has the Transpack II, and is very happy with its performance, over 100 dives and not a glitch.

OMS also offer the IQ Pack, very similar to the Transpack II, I don't know if Halcyon offers a soft pack, Oxy cheq offer some models but I don't know their quality firsthand.

most important is that you're happy with your gear at the end of the day.

My first BC experience (other than the junk in the pool doing training) is with the brigade. So far I love it.

First set of dives I dropped from 30 lbs (instructor thought I would have trouble being negative) to 16 lbs (pair of 6's in the back trim pockets and 2 lbs each in the weight pockets (i'm 5'11", as of today 295 lbs and wear a 3 mil hyperstretch). Tomorrow I'm playing with just the pair of 6's in the trims.

Last time in the pool I toyed with just 10lbs (5 each in the trims) and had some trouble being negative with a full tank so I'm figuring a couple more lbs will do the trick.

In 4 dives I trimed myself to the 16 lbs I mentioned, was very comfy everywhere (except where I found 0 vis) and had a blast. The Brigade packs into a very small spot and the Ranger harness will allow me to hang a bigger bladder onit if I choose.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Brian

archman:
My trusty, beat-up X-Tek needs to be replaced. Here are my requirements. No, I don't plan on ever using doubles... I'm no tech diver, just a scientist.

1. Back inflation (with a torus-type bladder that won't trap air)
1b. Teeny tiny bladder rated no more than 30lbs.
2. TWO cam straps
3. SS D-rings
4. Weight Integration
5. Back/hip padding (I usually don't wear exposure suits)

So far I'm eyeballing the highly rated TransPac II, and the new Oxycheq O-Pac. Some of Zeagle's stuff maybe, like the Escape and Scout. Backplates probably won't do well with me as I do a lot of Caribbean diving with naught but a rashguard on. A large metal plate with no padding... ow!

With the TransPac, I've got an option for either the Travel Wings or the new Venture Wings. The Travel Wings look like a better design (more round), and they're more compact too. I honestly can't figure out the advantage to the Venture Wing.
Scubapro Glide 2000..............!!!!!!!!

I use a Genisis Recon and love it. It has more lbs of lift than you need, but it is a very comfortable BC with lots of steel rings and connections for accessories. Everything on the BC is adjustable to compensate for a couple sizes. I got it for $350 brand new at www.leisurepro.com and it is over $500 in local shops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom