Tipping etiquette when diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Without getting into the whole debate that can arise with this topic, I agree the standard is $5.00 a tank. If you get or require more than average care/assistance or if someone really goes out of their way for you, then adjust accordingly. If service really stinks, adjust accordingly. If you feel $5.00 is too low, then of course you may tip as much as you wish and no one will complain.

I dunno. Seems a lot of people reporting more than 5 a tank.

I don't do dive tips on a percentage basis because there are ops that charge $65 for a 2-tank and others that charge $100. The DM and boat guys may be just as good or just as bad and work just as hard at either end of the cost spectrum, and I would like to think (but am probably wrong) that the $100 dive op pays their crew more while the employees of the lower cost op might be more dependent on tips. I usually tip per tank.

Couldnt that apply to anything? Like tip $5 a meal, whether it is a $10 dinner or a $100 dinner? That diner wait staff probably gets paid less than the fancy restaurant wait staff?

I've been diving Cozumel for 20+ years now, and the tipping standard has changed -- though I still run across a few "long timers" who just never adjusted from the $5 per 2-tank dive trip that was the standard in 1992. My own standard now is $15 US for a 2-tank dive trip, $20 for extra good service. And, if you are diving with a group and have the same DM every day, take him out to lunch one day - he'll show you the great local places to eat!

Im a brit an have never dives over in the Americas. When I've dives on holiday i've usually tipped at the end of my stay. I give the full tip to either the DM or the owner and ask them to split it between the crew. The dive op in Dahab, I left a specific tip in an envelope for the instructor/guide and anotehr tip for the rest of the crew. It wouldnt occur to me to tip on a daily basis and I didnt tip the DM when I dived in South Africa.

It's my theory that tipping every day lets the crew know that if the service is good, there will be a tip. I find that after a good tip on the first day, I get even more attention and service from the crew on subsequent days. Can't see how tipping at the end of a trip can possibly accomplish the same thing.

I find that after a good tip on the first day, I get even more attention and service from the crew on subsequent days. Can't see how tipping at the end of a trip can possibly accomplish the same thing.

If I got any more attention, I think the Captain would have had to do the diving for me (though I think I'd have to tip even more for that, since I hear he doesn't really like to swim). The tip at the end was a thank you for all he and the DM did. It wasn't to ensure it got better.

In addition to the tip I also will stop by the local bakery and bring them something in the morning on occasion. Since I use the same dive shop every year I ask if they need anything from the states - get their email. This year I had some fly fishing hooks that I gave to the DM because he let me use his fins when mine were giving me blisters. So to each there own. I now will tip a min of $15 for a 2 tank dive every day and give extras when warranted.

scubaalblake, Your question is a very good one. I know I would ask the same question if I ever got the opportunity to visit Australia.

Here are a few thoughts for you that may help.

1-For Cozumel Diving. As said.. the $5.00 -$10.00 USD per tank, per person rate is standard. Just how to determine the amount depends on the level of service provided to you. If you are diving with a Valet/Boutique crew who take care of your gear from the first to the last day, provide SI snacks and also in depth dive guidance, then the amount would most likely lean to the higher side. If you lug, clean, set up your own gear, receive no extras such as SI snacks or dive guidance, then the amount could lean toward the lower side of the scale.
2a. You can give the entire amount to the DM or captain per day or on your last dive day if you have the same crew for your trip. Just mention that the tip is for the crew to share.
2b. If you know ahead of time that you will have the same crew for your entire trip and you will tip on your last dive day, then do let the crew know this on your first day.
2c. You can also tip individually either per day or at the end of your trip. Since my Mr and I have been diving with the same op for 11 years now, they know we tip at the end of our trip. We start with our per tank/per person standard rate, split it accordingly among the entire crew and then add extra for services we received above and beyond. I have individual envelopes that I give directly to each crew member on our last dive day. We do keep cash with us to tip same day if a crew member is only on board for one day.
2d. Also, not to be overlooked is the Shop crew. Our Dive Op has a fellow who is in charge of cleaning our gear and having it ready for our dive day. He also shops, runs errands and is always there behind the scenes. Now, tipping a larger shop crew individually may be difficult. However, if there are a number of shop crew employees, then perhaps one overall tip method to the Captain or DM to share would be the best way. This is an example of how tipping for a Valet/Boutique Dive Op as opposed to a Non-Valet/Boutique dive op can be different.
3-Paying in Peso is good, however USD is fine as well.
4-A 15 % gratuity is standard for other services such as restaurants and service oriented businesses.
5-Luggage porters usually get .50 - $1.00 per bag
6-Taxi drivers for Cozumel-No tip necessary, however, do tip if you feel your driver has provided you extra service. ie: Useful island information, luggage handling, waited for you or come back for you at a pre-determined time, etc. BTW-try to have small currency to pay for taxi's so there will not be a need to make change and do agree on your taxi fair and transportation needs before getting in the cab.
7-Maids are tipped. $2.00 to $5.00 USD per day is common. Again, if you do not know if you will have the same maid for your stay, then tip every day. Just leave the cash in a place where the maid will find it. I take pre filled envelopes with the date and "Propina, Gracias" written on them then leave it in a visible spot.
8-Other hotel staff are tipped as well. Usually the Concierge if you use his/her services and any other staff if they provide extra special attention. ie:making reservations, running an errand.
9-Always check your bill or invoice to see if tips have already been already added.

Best Wishes for a Wonderful Cozumel Dive Trip !
SS

YAY! A tipping thread!!!
155928d1357754671-fan590-loyalty-club-yippeee_snoopy.gif

Lets go all in: 'Should you give more for handling wetsuits or should you give less for not handling wetsuits?'

If you peed in the wetsuit, you have to give more.
But if you tip a percentage- don't the ops that handle wetsuits already charge more for the valet service?

If I got any more attention, I think the Captain would have had to do the diving for me (though I think I'd have to tip even more for that, since I hear he doesn't really like to swim). The tip at the end was a thank you for all he and the DM did. It wasn't to ensure it got better.

He is a great diver, runner and bicyclist. His problem is he isn't a good surface swimmer, the one reason he hasn't done an Ironman.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom