Tipping etiquette when diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi the Mrs and I are off to Cozumel for a first trip in a few weeks - cant wait.
Staying at Scuba Club based on recommendations here and elsewhere.
Now we are Aussies and completely 'at sea' with the North American tipping culture.
When do you pay and how much?
Ive never tipped for diving elsewhere in the world (or got tipped when I was a pro instructor - except by americans) - but certainly get the impression that its part of the culture for cozumel.
So please help me out? How much? who? how often?
every dive, every drip? at the end of the week? just the divemaster?
please humour us non-Northern-Americans who dont have this same culture (generally) in our service industries.
Thanks

Although there are dozens of threads on tipping, I just wanted to thank you for an Aussie starting one. Most of these threads are started by Americans, and at some point in the thread someone points out "well, there are places like Australia and much of Europe where tipping is not common, and [insert some argument for or against tipping here]." I think you have the right idea: Do whatever is most common in the place you're visiting, and if you don't know what is common, then ask (as you are here). For all or most of the Caribbean, American-style tipping is probably the right course. As for the specific amount to tip, I think that's been well covered. Enjoy your trip!

My in-laws come from a non-tipping culture, and I've seen them struggle with it when they visit us here in the US. It can be stressful to have to think about not forgetting the tip and embarrassing when you do. Don't let it stress you out.

He is a great diver, runner and bicyclist. His problem is he isn't a good surface swimmer, the one reason he hasn't done an Ironman.

Oh, good- so that will save me an extra tip when he does the diving for me. Because that's pretty much the only thing that could make diving with them easier.

Couldnt that apply to anything? Like tip $5 a meal, whether it is a $10 dinner or a $100 dinner? That diner wait staff probably gets paid less than the fancy restaurant wait staff?
Maybe not. Lots of restaurants (in the U.S. at least), from diners to fine dining, pay their waiters the minimal required by state law plus tips.

On the other hand, I don't see why I should tip over $10 more because the waiter opened up a $100 bottle of wine instead of a $30 one, unless of course they decant it.

I believe the pay on dive boats is low in Mexico based upon the system of tips, this allows the operators to compete on price because they basically only pay the DM's and captains a nominal wage, but on the other side the tips do not get declared as income and taxed.

Yes, thos who pay their dive staff and use mostly freelancers can "compete on price" because they don't have the overhead of properly paying their crew, and overhead associated with employing full time staff (which is ALOT) - so those who like to dive with the shops that undercut many of us keep that in mind.

Longevity of employees and staff should be another factor in my opinion when choosing a dive shop - it speaks for itself.

He is a great diver, runner and bicyclist. His problem is he isn't a good surface swimmer, the one reason he hasn't done an Ironman.

Alison's captain? I've never seen him out running or cycling - interesting .

I don't tip, why should I tip somebody just to make up for their employer not paying them enough!

We tipped 400 pesos per 2 tank morning for the 3 of us.

Mike- I could never do that.

The LOB's are crazy to think 10%+ tip is going to happen, $1500+ ( there are 3 of us)?? No way!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk H

I don't tip, why should I tip somebody just to make up for their employer not paying them enough!
You never tip in restaurants?

---------- Post added April 24th, 2014 at 03:18 PM ----------

The LOB's are crazy to think 10%+ tip is going to happen, $1500+ ( there are 3 of us)?? No way!
Not crazy at all the way most liveaboard employees work around the clock. At least let them know in advance that you're planning on stiffing them on the tip so they can adjust their service accordingly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom