Tipping etiquette when diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dunno. Seems a lot of people reporting more than 5 a tank.

Couldnt that apply to anything? Like tip $5 a meal, whether it is a $10 dinner or a $100 dinner? That diner wait staff probably gets paid less than the fancy restaurant wait staff?

I suppose some of the responses to this thread may be a bit higher, but this topic comes up a couple times a year and over the past couple of years, it seems to me that $5.00 a tank is pretty common. At least in the U.S. restaurant staff don't tend to get paid more in pricier restaurants, they all rely on tips. Staff makes more money in pricier restaurants because of the higher tips resulting from the higher meal prices.

In restaurants I tip a percentage of the bill but for me it feels like a tip to the dive guys makes more sense based on a "per dive" rate than a percentage. If tipping a percentage does one then tip more if the dives cost more due to nitrox or a larger tank or if using rental gear instead of one's own gear? A lot of dive ops offer a discount for a full week of diving, so if I get the discount the boat guys get less of a tip for each dive because I get a discounted rate?

I tend to do the same with the cleaning people in a hotel; $x per day rather than a percentage of the room rate. Just what I do...personal preference...I'm not saying one approach is right or wrong. Like I said, I don't want to get into the whole tipping dispute. If you guys want to tip more, go for it...

I been tipping 5$/tank and thought that was the norm also, but it seems to have changed. Guess i'll have to up that a bit for my upcoming trip in May providing the service is good. All the $ I spend on dive trips, pretty sure i can squeeze a few more $'s out.

Never!

Those dive masters are living in paradise, that's tips enough isn't it?
Unfortunately you can't eat paradise. At least a lot of waiters get a free meal once a day and they can always sleep at a homeless shelter.

Alison's captain? I've never seen him out running or cycling - interesting .

Well he isn't a 'fancy' runner/biker. Many the SI at Palancar, Carlos takes off south and runs for the whole SI. I think he occasionally runs up north. Bike riding is just bike riding. Rides to work occasionally and around. I think he did an organized run last year for fun. Just not a enough of swimmer for IM.

We happily tip at least 10% on a liveaboard for the incredible service we have gotten. We just budget it into the cost of the trip. It's not like the cost is a big surprise. Using the excuse that you refuse to tip because you don't want to "make up for for their employer not paying them enough" well I hope your just kidding in order to get a reaction. If your not well that's just sad.

:banghead: Gawd, but I hate all this tipping. I so wish we had a marketplace with employees paid fair wages for their work, prices adjusted accordingly, and a 10% tip for better than expected service was a nice bonus. We don't of course, so I feel like I have to play along. Then we get into what we should be tipping. :mad: Just once I had a NYC cabbie tell me I tipped too much and gave half of it back. :eek: Nowadays the news makes a big deal when someone leaves a $1,000 tip after lunch. :confused:

I guess I tip ok around the AI hotel I've been using as the waiters compete for me at their tables and treat me very well. I tip room maids, but can't get my daughter to even tho she'll pay for a stranger's coffee order in the drive up behind her. :idk: So much confusion because we took it too far.

thanks - thats great advice. I also just found a thread on cozumel tipping that seemed to suggest between $10 and $15 per tank (ie double that for a two tank dive day). Hopefully I wont be too far out with that.
As others mentioned, that's about twice the standard rate for standard work.

Contact Scuba Club Cozumel and they can send you the "suggested tip guide". They provide envelopes for each person/area and they are deposited in a box at the end of the trip. They cannot accept travelers cheques or personal checks. Have a great time and don't forget to bring a lock for the lockers. :D
I have mixed feelings about those. I guess they are good guidelines in some cases, but usually it's the employer wanting to pay less but hope to avoid a walkout. Some places actually require it, added to the bill.

We do the straight 20% thing.
I've been on your Op's boat and know it to be a great experience, and you personally can be a pain - but I guess she thinks you pay enough since she keeps taking you out. She waived the 100 cf upgrade charge, and I did tip extra - hope she noticed?

What a terrible system we have created where we have to figure out what to pay the employees of the people we are doing business with!
I know, and it seems to be a US invention. :no:

YAY! A tipping thread!!!
155928d1357754671-fan590-loyalty-club-yippeee_snoopy.gif
:angrymob:

I don't tip, why should I tip somebody just to make up for their employer not paying them enough!
You like to throw kerosene on campfires too, don't you?

:banghead: Gawd, but I hate all this tipping. I so wish we had a marketplace with employees paid fair wages for their work, prices adjusted accordingly, and a 10% tip for better than expected service was a nice bonus.

You mean...like australia :)

As others mentioned, that's about twice the standard rate for standard work.

You used standard twice. What is this standard and where might I look it up? Seriously, it seems to me the low tippers are always willing push their numbers and look for validations, while the high tippers don't talk about it.

I've been on your Op's boat and know it to be a great experience, and you personally can be a pain - but I guess she thinks you pay enough since she keeps taking you out. She waived the 100 cf upgrade charge, and I did tip extra - hope she noticed?

First, she should be tipping ME for the privilege. Or for the abuse I endure! Or perhaps just for how I exude class and sophistication all over that boat.

I don't know if she noticed, but I imagine. I just know I tipped extra that day, since I secured that space for you! Even she knew of the famous DD before she met you. She said you are much better in person. :)

I know, and it seems to be a US invention. :no:
What is that like self flagellation? Its our fault? I never get a tip. I hear the MX cops get them all the time.....

Unfortunately you can't eat paradise. At least a lot of waiters get a free meal once a day and they can always sleep at a homeless shelter.

Maybe the DMs need to stop feeding the lion fish to the lobsters if they are needing a good meal!

/I kid! I tip- in fact, if I can't afford to tip, I'd cut a day of diving so that I could. It is part of the cost of doing buying that kind of service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom