Tips for Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j_c_a

Registered
Reaction score
Greeting all,

I'm a new diver and I'm going to Bonaire in June for a week. Anybody have any pearls of wisdom they'd like to share? Must do stuff, things to avoid? Diving or otherwise. I'm staying at Capt. Don's and have booked a few boat dives in advance to try to get the feel of the area before I do any shore diving. I'm a beginner but very comfortable w/ my skills (I do a lot of pool practice, having one has it's advantages :) ). Good shore dives for beginners and dives to skip for now?

Thanks all in advance,
jc

If you do a search for "Bonaire" you will find many, many reports. I would also suggest checking out www.bonairetalk.com as they have a number of forums to help you.

If you do any boat dives, make sure you only go to Klein Bonaire sites, there is no point in taking a boat to any of the major Bonaire sites (except the East Side, which very few make it to). My first boat dive ever on Bonaire was to the Salt Pier - I can't believe I paid for that....

Shore diving is easy as easy as falling down...Just walk in! It really is that easy.

My list of Dont's:
1) Don't leave ANYTHING you don't want to lose or have permantly "borrowed" in your car when diving
2) Don't hit a donkey or goat or chicken with your car
3) Don't stay underwater for more than 3 hours at a time
4) Don't forget your insect repellent (skin so soft or DEET)
5) Don't forget to get your "leave the island" pass from the airport on the day you get there to avoid the lines on the day you leave (if ever)

My list of Do's:
1) Have many many beers at Karols and watch all he locals on their motorcyles torque by...
2) Have dinner at Cappricios (more than once, if you can)
3) Dive at least 5 times a day One at dawn, three during the day, one night dive, rinse, repeat.

Dives to do:

Salt Pier, Town Pier (at night, if possible), Angel City, Karpata, Small Wall (should be easy from where you are staying, I think), Calabas by Bruce Bowkers Carib. Inn at night (Big tarpon sometimes come in to feed in the diver's lights), Hilma Hooker is a awesome, but may be a little beyond your comfort level (95-100 feet deep at the deepest point).

Will be making my first trip to Bonaire at the end of July. Geez I hope the weather there has warmed up by then. :cool:

Have searched the archives, and not been able to hit the right combo of key words to find out if this topic has been discussed.

I have a question for those who have been there recently. How expensive are c-cell alkaline batteries. Yes, I know about the requested policy of packing out your "empties." That's not germaine to my querry. Nor are rechargeables a viable option on this particular trip.

Pure and simple. Is it worth the hassle to bring 10 lbs of c-bats with me, or are they reasonable (in an island sort of way) there?

Thankx...KYDan

KYDan:
Pure and simple. Is it worth the hassle to bring 10 lbs of c-bats with me, or are they reasonable (in an island sort of way) there?

I forgot my C's at home and was not happy. A pair cost over $5, and I needed 8 of 'em, ugh! I would bring them with you.

Yes,
Batteries are expensive on Bonaire. I always take batteries and most important of all, snacks... Junk food is expensive on Bonaire! :colgate: :palmtree: Bob

j c a,
Currently the weather there has had more rain than normal. Bring bug repellent! I second what Pettifogger said plus:

Sites to do
Windsock-very easy entry
Bachelors Beach- biggest octopus I ever saw
Ol blue-nice, diverse UW life
Webers Joy- same great stuff
Karpata- entry can be tough at times, but always turtles

Boat dives: Head for Klein and,
Munks haven
Forest
Joanne's Sunchi
Nearest Point
Ebos reef

Don't worry about being new to the sport. The folks down there are always helpful, no matter where you stay. Relax and enjoy! It's just so easy to dive on Bonaire. Make sure you hit the Rib Factory for dinner. Good stuff!
Keep clear of the urchins and fire coral. Ask someone to point out things like that if you are not sure. The best thing I did while I was there last year was to take an UW Naturalist course. The information you get makes every dive more enjoyable. The things I saw this year I would have missed without that knowledge.

Have a Blast! Bonaire is great!

What week are you going to be there? We (the family) will be there from the 19-26th. There will be 6 of us, beginners to a lil advanced (myself and BOSS). My wife and I have been there before the kids haven't

kids (18 22 23 30)

I will be taking them to easy shore dives in the beginning of the week and skills allowing to a few of the tougher. Mind you Bonaire's tougher entrys are easier than easy entrys here at home. Batchelors beach, Windsock, 18 Palms are the sites we will dive first.

Any boat dives we do will be to Kline as we can shore dive the rest. If you are there that week we can do a couple dives together if you want. We rented 2 trucks so we will have room for another. Bonaire will spoil you, it has spoiled my wife I don't mind going there either lol.

Hey thanks all for the replies. I'm going in the first week of June and really looking forward to it. I did do the search thing, I'm just the type that can never know enough about something :) Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom