To log pool "dives" or not to log...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dherbman:
Not to argue, I'm kinda working through this myself, but there doesn't seem to be much difference between a 'pool' of this size and depth and a quarry.

No arguments there. Perhaps we shouldn't be logging dives in quarries.

For most of the people on this board all dives are playtime. For me most dives are worktime. But I log all pressure exposures (that's an employer's requirement) and I think that makes sense.

Thalassamania:
For most of the people on this board all dives are playtime. For me most dives are worktime. But I log all pressure exposures (that's an employer's requirement) and I think that makes sense.

What is defined as a pressure exposure? Just by the sound of it, that makes sense to me also. Since the vast majority of my dives are in a non-ocean environment, I've often wondered where "confined water" ends and "open water" begins.

I don't log my pool dives, but if I we too, my log book has a place where I write the dive number, so if I were to make an entry for some reason, like keeping track of a certain number of training sessions or something, I would not have to give that entry a number. My original logbook had seperate pages for OW or specialty pool training dives.

KentFrazier:
What is defined as a pressure exposure?

Good question.

Is it a depth threshold?

this is a very good question. Because i know on Oahu there are some dive shops that conduct the "confined" portions of their classes in ths shallower portions of Hanauma Bay. I believe a quarry not to be open water but why would this matter when it comes to logging? I believe you log a dive when it shows a specific condition or experience. SO I think that if a pool dive is a training dive then it could be logged as such. I know that I log any pool time when I am working on weighting/trim issues with different exposure protection, just as I would do if I spend 20 shallow in the ocean making sure my weighting is right before going out. This kind of info you should probably keep track of but I do not "number" it. Numbers are reserved for anything that I consider a "real" dive. If is isn't task or goal related I don't log it. ie: if I am checking out new gear then that would not be logged at all. Definately log it if you are deep enough and long enough to have a pressure group. This could be important if doing multiple dives over multiple days. my 2psi worth.

Wes

Not in my "dive log'. I do however keep track of pool sessions in a seperate ledger as part of my DM internship. I note dates, times, names of students, particular difficulties and how I solved them with various students, etc. Valuable info for instructor later on. BTW I've got over 110 hours in the pool now assisting with students. I do not consider it dive time though. It is instructional development for them and me. But again I don't consider the sessions dives.

Q: When did most of us learn to log dive?
A: In our Open Water (or Equivalant) class

Q: Did we log the pool dives then?
A: No

Q: Then should we log pool dives now?

Q: When did most of us learn to log dive?
A: In our Open Water (or Equivalant) class

Q: Did we log the pool dives then?

Q: Then should we log pool dives now?

No, keep a separate log for the pool, that way you can track any information that may be valuable on dives, but do not count them as "dives"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom