Too soon to do Advanced and Rescue Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
PADI has started enforcing the 20 dive rule for rescue. In the past they have apparently had this requirement, but it was not generally enforced.

So IMO do advanced if you like, but you will have to wait until you get 20 dives logged before you can do Rescue.

if they are a PADI AOW, they do not need the 20 dives to start.

here is the exact wording from the PADI instructor manual.

To qualify for PADI Rescue Diver
training, an individual must:

1. Be certified as a PADI Advanced
Open Water Diver or
have a qualifying certification
from another training organization.
This is defined as proof
of certification beyond entry
level (at least two certifications
total), and proof of 20 or more
logged dives documenting
experience in deep diving and
underwater navigation.

I agree with the comments made by NWGrateful Diver in post #15.

Here's some more discussion on timing: Taking AOW immediately after taking OW course?

Personally, I would do 15-20 dives before jumping into AOW. No matter how good or comfortable you are after OW, 15-20 dives you'll be significantly better. And as the result, you'll actually get to enjoy/try the skills you learn during AOW, as opposed to fighting the basics.

From the AOW classes I've witnessed, those who are jump immediately from OW to AOW don't have the buoyancy or general awareness to truly benefit from AOW. Sure you can do it, but it's sub optimal. As NWGratefulDiver says, "You'll most likely end up going through the motions and coming out of the class feeling like you haven't learned much."

Of course, this assumes that the AOW course you're planning is a good one and skills are actually taught and emphasized, and not one designed rubber stamp people. :wink:

As for Rescue, I think that you would get maximum benefit if you are at the point that you are aware of yourself, your buddy, and others around you. If you still have to focus on the mechanics, it detracts from the skills and lessons you're learning in Rescue.

From this is that one will need 20 logged dives by the time one completes PADI Rescue?

Mark, do you agree? So one could in theory have 15 logged dives, start Rescue, and end up with 20 logged dives by the end of the class to quality as Rescue? I asked the instructor about this when I did my AOW, and she indicated that PADI requires 20 logged dives, however she did not say if that was prior to startiing the class, or upon completion. I my case I'll have more than enough dives regardless, but I'm just curious.

I'm going to do rescue likely in the Fall. I'll have logged enough dives to be comfortable to do Rescue before I take the course. Based on what everyone who takes Rescue says, it's a very worthwhile class. I'm thinking by Fall or early Winter I'll be wanting to take another class.....

As for AOW, I really like GratefulDivers advice. Get in the water, even if it's a pool, and review the OW basics. As for how many dives one should have before going into advanced, I think it certainly has a lot to do with the individual. If one is comfortable in the water, that is key. IMO AOW is very worthwhile for newer divers, but I would have to agree that if one is not comfortable with basic buoyancy skills, that level should be attained before going into AOW. I certainly enjoyed AOW, and learned good deal even if it was done over a weekend.

I wish that more places offered it in stages, but that does not appear to be how PADI or the Instructors like to work it in our area. I will say that having a small class is the way to go. With only two students in my AOW class, we had plenty of one on one time with the instructor which makes for a much better experience.

cancun mark:

Open Water Diver or
This is defined as proof
logged dives documenting
underwater navigation.

KUDOS for everyone saying "Dive more." I see people all the time with more cards in their log books then actual dives.

I JUST took the rescue class and have been diving for years. I did mostly shore diving with a dozen or so drift dives a year. I dove mostly only in the summer but am now diving year round and at greater depths so dedcided to take more classes.

When I took the AOW (as a refresher) I was nervous having not dove in a few years and was at first releaved when I saw that the others in the class where newbies. LAter I was horrified at the ditch and don portion when the students look like they where in a Ed Wood film fighting a rubber octopus in the currentless 13' pool.

Enjoy some diving. Task load when you are comfortable.. take pictures.. catch lobsters swim back to a spot using yoru compass, when you can do all that at 60' then take on Advanced.

You may be a exceptional swimmer and can take it now.. I obviously can not tell from here... you have to decide but what is wrong with getting some diving in!?!

Rescue. If you are going to dive as a Rescue diver and others know it be careful they might do something stupid because they know you are there to "save them."

When you are able to contend with someone ripping your reg out of your mouth and then trying to drag you all fins and hands to the surface.. that is rescue. Be a GREAT diver before you do jump into that class.

There are a tons of easier specialties out there if you want to take another class with a instructor.

my 100 psi worth anyhow.

Having taken six months off after open water you should probably take a refresher before doing anything. Then maybe a peak performance bouyance class before advanced this will help you with bouynace control and weighting before tackling the new skills in advanced.

cancun mark:

Open Water Diver or
This is defined as proof
logged dives documenting
underwater navigation.

I stand corrected, Cancun Mark.

Thanks, my answer was incomplete. BTW a message above suggests PADI is starting to enforce the 20 dive rule... PADI has always enforced standards. That is why they are standard.

It surprises me that so many experienced divers vote for more dives before AOW. Maybe it is because they don't like to think of new dives as advanced. Again let's not confuse a certification label with experience. Although the PADI card still says advanced the program is called Adventures in Diving.

The less comfortable a new diver is the better off they are getting more supervised dives and instruction. In my opinion better to dive with an instuctor in an advanced class than dive unsupervised at a challenging new site or on a boat with an unaware operator.

Agree with NWGD, get some time to get the basics back, then hit some dives with some buddies or go into the AOW. Hopefully you can find buddies in your area (if you fill out your profile we will know and be able to suggest options) and get out with them. Wait a little for rescue, i think i have waited way too long at 130 dives, but i will do the course some time before this summer! :wink: Get some practice time in, get some dives in, get the AOW in and then a whole load more diving before rescue.

I think that some of the responders here need to keep in mind that not all of us live in diving friendly locations. Here in Colorado, we have few choices (almost none in the winter), and the options that are available are not the best. A great many of the lakes in the state are either closed to diving, or very restrictive. Here on the plains, a lot of the lakes are barely more than mud puddles, and the mountain lakes mostly qualify as extremely cold diving and, and in fact, all diving locally requires high altitude training (alt adjusted to 5000-6000 feet minimum). This is one of the specialty options often offered with local AOW classes. Thus, a high proportion of new diving addicts are almost forced to take at least AOW just to keep diving. The option of doing regular weekend dives just isn't there without a lot of money invested in exposure protection, and the poor quality of diving isn't worth that expense for a lot of people.

That is my argument for some new divers taking early AOW classes. I do agree that after 6 months of no diving since OW cert, he needs a refresher before attempting it.

Rescue is another matter and shouldn't undertaken without a high degree of comfort and competence with most aspects of general diving.

My instructor wouldn't do AOW until we got some more dives in on our own after OW. I think we got in about a dozen and had a couple months in between and that was ok for us. That would have been way too early for Rescue. I actually never got around to rescue until like 500 dives (yeah I know way too long), and it was still a challenging class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom