Too soon to do Advanced and Rescue Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus:
I have a valid Adult CPR/First Aid card. Does this qualify? Or do I need to regain my Professional Rescuer certification? I don't see anything in between on my local chapter Red Cross website.

Adult CPR/First Aid is sufficient.

I have been Open Water Certified for about 2 years now. I have been doing all Quarry diving (about 25 dives) since then. I just got my AOW certification in Cozumel and it really helped me perfect my bouyancy.

I did my AOW right after my OW, i felt that it helped me perfect my boyancy. But going for AOW after 6 mths of inactivity, i dont think it is a wise choice, i would think that going for a refresher then a few dives to reorinate yourself underwater will be better

I'll be wrapping up my OW this coming weekend and going for the AOW next month. I'm doing this for several reasons:

1. I really like my instructor and his assistant and he's teaching the AOW next month. His next AOW class isnt until June.

2. Frankly, OW as tought through PADI isnt long enough. I'm grasping all of the concepts and I feel I'm doing well in the class, but it has a rushed feel and some of my mates are struggling. Our instructor has added an extra pool session at no charge. I think an extra shore and boat dive with an instructor would be great.

A couple of suggestions...How about signing up for some "extra" lessons past OW? I know some instructors will invite recent OW certs on boat dives if the class is not too big. That's a good way to get a little more experience with a pro nearby to help tune the skills. Another possibility is breaking up the Advance course into two seperate events (some of the Adventure Diver courses count towards the Advance cert).

orangelion03:
I'll be wrapping up my OW this coming weekend and going for the AOW next month. I'm doing this for several reasons:

1. I really like my instructor and his assistant and he's teaching the AOW next month. His next AOW class isnt until June.

2. Frankly, OW as tought through PADI isnt long enough. I'm grasping all of the concepts and I feel I'm doing well in the class, but it has a rushed feel and some of my mates are struggling. Our instructor has added an extra pool session at no charge. I think an extra shore and boat dive with an instructor would be great.

A couple of suggestions...How about signing up for some "extra" lessons past OW? I know some instructors will invite recent OW certs on boat dives if the class is not too big. That's a good way to get a little more experience with a pro nearby to help tune the skills. Another possibility is breaking up the Advance course into two seperate events (some of the Adventure Diver courses count towards the Advance cert).

Hello, Id like to offer some advice, If you are going to do your advance it would be a good idea to do your nitrox certification at the same time. Nitrox will open new doors to diving for you and if you have nitrox and advanced it will be easier to do other certs
like wreck and cavern etc, By this time you will be a very acclompished and comfortable diver and rescue will be a breeze.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom