Too soon to do Advanced and Rescue Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SouthernSCUBA:
The PADI standards do require that you have proof of 20 logged dives before taking Rescue. You will also need to complete CPR course before receiving your certification, that can be done after you complete the Rescue class. The PADI class for CPR is EFR, Emergency First Responder.
For the new version of the PADI rescue class you have to complete EFR before starting Rescue, they changed it.

I’m a firm believer that AOW can/should be taken soon after OW. Rescue is for later.

AOW would be best taken in your own equipment however. I would suggest that you buy gear and get a few dives in with it before taking advanced. Doesn’t have to be many dives, just enough that you’re comfortable with the gear – you really want to be focusing on the class rather than gear.

Thank you so much to everyone who contributed with so much knowledge.
When I did my Open Water on holiday in Thailand, there were so many people taking on courses in a short amount of time (they called it fasttracking) and going from novice to divemaster within a month. I guess for the schools, this is lucrative and I know it worked for some.
But for me, I go along with the majority of respondents and get some experience, at least before doing Rescue anyways.

Thanks again. What a great source of info this board is!

Bbob:
(they called it fasttracking)
For a word of warning - you should avoid this phrase with respect to scuba diving, in fact i would think most things as it seems to take out a couple of useful parts of the learning process - time and experience, without those you might have book smarts but cant hope to be completely proficient or capable of doing what you are now "trained" to do, but it suits the market of now, now, now :wink:

Bbob:
When I did my Open Water on holiday in Thailand, there were so many people taking on courses in a short amount of time (they called it fasttracking) and going from novice to divemaster within a month.

I've met some of these. Last year I had to rescue a "fasttrack DM" ... he ran out of air at almost 100 fsw, and after I handed him my reg he bloody near panicked when I gave him the thumbs-up. Turns out the guy had never done a free ascent (without a line to hold onto) before.

C-cards don't mean much if you don't take the time to gain some skills and experience along the way.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Here's what I did and it felt like a good pace (for me).

1. BOW
2. A dive trip with 14 dives
3. AOW dive trip +10 dives
4. Dive trip 14 dives
5. EFR emegency first responder course (required for rescue)
6. DAN O2 course (definetely needed but not required)
7. Dive trip 14 dives
8. Rescue course pool and accedemic at home.
9. Dive trip 6 dives then rescue open water.

I think the most important skills for AOW was good bouyancy and relaxation.So it can be done fairly early.

The rescue open waters kicked my butt,I worked out hard for 6 months previous to get in shape.I was extremely comfortable with my diving skills at the time also,any less dives and it would have been a mess. I think I had about 50 dives by then,on some of the skills I kind off wish I had more pure diving time under my belt. My instructor was pleased,but I wasn't that pleased with my performance.

cancun mark:
if they are a PADI AOW, they do not need the 20 dives to start.

here is the exact wording from the PADI instructor manual.

To qualify for PADI Rescue Diver
training, an individual must:

1. Be certified as a PADI Advanced
Open Water Diver or
have a qualifying certification
from another training organization.
This is defined as proof
of certification beyond entry
level (at least two certifications
total), and proof of 20 or more
logged dives documenting
experience in deep diving and
underwater navigation.

cancun mark,

Do I have this right? I think I do. :06:

As long as you are "PADI AOW" you could just have your checkout dives and still qualify for the rescue diver program.

But if you are certified through another agency you must have their equivalent certification for AOW PLUS 20 logged dives and proof of them.

AOW will definitely make you a more confident diver. I wish I would have taken it right after OW. I was certfied in spring of '02 and did not do another dive until summer of '04. MY problem was that I did not feel comfortable signing up for a trip or outing and being a burden to whoever I would be diving with. After taking AOW I at least feel like I can go on a dive trip and be good enough that my buddy won't have to do any in water assists or anything of that nature.

Will taking AOW make you a good diver? No way, but it is a step in the right direction.

As for rescue and DM, I could take the class and get certified as a DM, but I dont want to be someone who just has a card but not really have the skills to back it up. I am going to wait until I have a few dozen dives under my belt before worrying about that.

Bbob:
Thank you so much to everyone who contributed with so much knowledge.
When I did my Open Water on holiday in Thailand, there were so many people taking on courses in a short amount of time (they called it fasttracking) and going from novice to divemaster within a month. I guess for the schools, this is lucrative and I know it worked for some.

I've also met these fasttracked DMs in Thailand, and it caused me to skip a breath.
DMs should be required to have more than the minimal requirements PADI sets forth, like requiring a length of time (i.e. more than a month or two of diving) before granting that certificate IMO.

Specifically in regards to the Rescue Course requirement, the PADI website says this:

Successful completion of a sanctioned CPR program within the past 24 months. The Emergency First Response Primary Care (CPR) and Secondary Care (First Aid) courses meet these requirements.

I have a valid Adult CPR/First Aid card. Does this qualify? Or do I need to regain my Professional Rescuer certification? I don't see anything in between on my local chapter Red Cross website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom