Tools confiscated by Mex. TSA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my two cents...I ain't travelling to Mexico these days anyway. Love Coz, but that country has become way too dangerous for tourists

Was in Coz in Lanuary and felt very safe, safer than soem cities than in USA. Media hype has been great on this problem and from my experience there is always more to the story.

Don't throw away a great dive site, just be sensible when there.

my two cents...I ain't travelling to Mexico these days anyway. Love Coz, but that country has become way too dangerous for tourists

Oh Dear....this is what the media does.....however, not traveling to Mexico is your choice of course. Not traveling to Cozumel because of the media hype, your loss. Just my opinion. Regardless, I wish you great diving wherever you end up at. :)

We can travel with our soft weights carry on TO Coz, can't travel with soft weights carry on FROM Coz. I guess they could be used to throw at someone or pin them down ??? Or perhaps, more seriously, conceal an item. But, the security scan should flag a bag search at that point?? Oh Well, since we like our soft weights, we pack them in checked luggage if our weight limit allows. If not, we leave them at home. No big deal.

The " Leatherman " & " Swiss Army Knives ", of any type, size, or model, will be taken away from you on any flight !

that i can see as they are knifes/tools you can actually inflict serious damage with.....but to take away a 1.5" long nail clipper? - come on, what I am going to do - hold the plane hostage threatening everyone that I am going to give them a manicure? :D

We can travel with our soft weights carry on TO Coz, can't travel with soft weights carry on FROM Coz. ...... Oh Well, since we like our soft weights, we pack them in checked luggage if our weight limit allows. If not, we leave them at home. No big deal.

Another plus for Raul and Bottom Time Divers. Soft or hard weights on the boat. :D

PH

QUOTE=PARADISE HUNTER;4273644]Another plus for Raul and Bottom Time Divers. Soft or hard weights on the boat. :D

PH[/QUOTE]

We like to travel with our own weights, soft or hard as a personal choice. Both DH and I have our own weight bags in which our dive crew put our weights in to hold from dive to dive. When we return for our next day of diving, our gear is set up and our personal weights are there as well. It eliminates the process of issuing/collecting weights and the need to go through that exchange daily, or in some cases twice daily if adding a night dive. Since dive op's weights are available for use by all of their customers, and are used for all dives, it would be unfair to expect the weights we need to be taken out of our dive op's circulation for the week or two weeks we are diving just for our convenience . It's an established plan that works well for us. I put bets that Raul and Bottom Time Divers is not the only dive op with soft and hard weights available.

:hmmm: Was not aware that any tools were allowed in carry-on. They weren't, but it's difficult to keep up with the changes. I was on Roatan on 9-11-01 and talk about security rules being made up on the fly. Lost my nail clippers when we finally got to leave.

Security guards in foreign airports checking passengers boarding flights to the US are supposed to check per TSA standards, but being right can be difficult to prove at the time & place. I had one on a far away Bahamian island confiscate my lighter on departure well after TSA once again allowed them in carry-on. He was wrong, but he was in charge.

From today's TSA site...
[c]
11io4nm.jpg

[/c]

Dandy Don these were two maybe 3'' long end wrenches to asssemble my my regulator. I carried these two wrenches in nov. These wrenches were a full 7 '' , no problem. I cut them down so that ther would be no dought that they were less than 7''. Maybe there are no problem going from usa to mex. but returning may be the problem going through foriegn security before boarding a plane. I disassemble my regulator so that it packs better in my carry on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom