Tools confiscated by Mex. TSA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only thing consistent about TSA is that there is no consistency. There is a reason for this. Consistency often leads complacency.
True, and consistency can also give the bad guys more ideas on how to get thru our security. Some of that is necessary, even tho irritating. I could twist off on the politics also supported here, but I'll repress myself.

Coming back to the US, international security agents agree to screen per US TSA standards, more or less. We don't want to pay for our own TSA agents in Exuma to do the screening for example, nor in Cozumel. More mistakes & abuse are possible there, tho - and it's up to the traveler to try preventative actions.

Eh, most of the time that lighters were prohibited, I simple stuffed them down in my computer & photo tools in my backpack - missed every time. :eek: And then there is the time the TSA agent went all thru my backpack, looking for a pocket knife that he'd thot he'd seen on X-ray - indeed one that I'd lost on my last trip. He even opened my waterproof cigarette case...
Oops 001a.jpg . View attachment 56629
He finally gave up and let me board. I later found the lost pocket knife...
Those are clickable thumbs, BTW.

Hey - rant away! There is no end of subjectivity with TSA. Sometimes there's no problem, sometimes there is with the exact same thing. You would think there would be more standardization but if your extension arm is on someone's deadly weapons list you're just screwed. Luckily, you found a supervisor who could figure out how to solve a problem rather than create one. Maybe they do it as a deterrent - the IRS had a similar policy to just randomly audit people to the nth degree so the word would get around. Luckily, that got stopped.

I might have an issue with an underwater video housing I need to carry on for the next trip. It's small but very heavy (don't want to add it to my weight limit for checked) and someone with a big imagination just might think I could use if for some evil purpose. I wonder if there's a way to get it pre-screened before I check my bags just in case I need to repack.

Michael's camera housing gets the search every time...probably due the lead plate weight attached to the bottom. Could be why our soft lead weights get the once over as well. They most likely want to see what is being covered..I don't blame them. I am glad they look. We actually have this stuff packed with easy access in mind for the inspectors.

Leaving coz. through the Coz. airport, security checked my carry on , no big deal looked in carry on pulled out 2 wrenches maybe 3 inches long and said that mex. rule state that no tools allowed in carry on. I told him that tools had to be 7'' or less but he said no tools. no big lose. Just wanted to pass this information on. I did ask an official in Memphis about mex rules and just laughed because he also had tools confiscated. These tools were a 14mm and 5/8 end wrench ,nothing sharp that could be use as a weapon .

Leaving CZM about last spring I think, they went thru my carryon(as usual)--the stop & final inspection you make just 1 minute before boarding the plane..Had my extra batteries(AA's brand new still in package) & took them all but 2---think it was about 8...I had this new package of 12 I believe & only had used 2 out that package....Guy in broken English said you can only take 2(I believe he said) on the plane...WTchit, never had that happen before or since......I took them out his hand & broke the package open & dumped them deep in the tall garbage can as I could...wanted to make it harder on him to retreive them...

Bet he used your tools very well like my batteries...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom