Torso gets cold when diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, long time reader first time poster.

I recently changed from wetsuit to drysuit and bought a Santi E motion and a Santi 400g UG. Like when learning any other new aspect of diving I got someone expirenced to train me and i now feel really comfortable using my drysuit.

I do however have one problem. My torso gets rather cold when diving. I have been diving in 15-16 degrees warm water with it and still got cold. And on my latest dive in 6-7 degree water I had to call the dive after 30 minutes due to my cold torso. Extremities etc. feels warm, so it is only the torso that is a problem.

Since the 400g UG is rated for 0-7 degrees I find it odd that I am getting cold. I have asked around and searched for an answer to as this might be but without luck. The shop I bought my drysuit and UG just told me that I should try to wear more layers - so I have bought a fourth element vest to try with my other UG.

But if anyone has any experience with this problem or a tip on how to fix it it would be appriciated.

Bet regards,
Mads

p.s. Please bear with my rather bad english. It is not my first language and I wrote this on an ipad without spell checker.

Everyone is different when it comes to how cold they feel. I personally use the BZ400 and always use a merino wool base layer under it. I find this good for dives in 10-16 deg. Below that, I generally add an extra layer on my torso (Santi BZ200 vest) Once I get into 4-6deg then I exchange the BZ200 vest for the Santi heated vest.
However I know many people who happily dive BZ200s all winter with no issue, it is all down to how you personally feel the cold. Also if this is your first Drysuit, then you might be confused as to how warm you should feel. In cold water you'll never feel "warm", the suit and undergarment are there to slow down the cooling process, in 6 deg water there is a limit to what the undergarments can do, particularly if your body is not generating the heat.
Finally, what hood are you wearing? This can also make a difference to how cold you feel.

HTH
John

The hood makes a noticeable difference. Once I went with a 12mm hood to replace my 7mm I immediately noticed I felt much warmer on dives in the upper 30's to mid 40's F (4-8 C). The odd thing was my head wasn't uncomfortable or chilled during the dive with the 7mm but I would get cold during deco. I'm much more comfy now. I've also found I feel warmer with a an Under Armor type base layer. You have to experiment to find what works best for you.

Thanks for the replies.

I dont start to shiver or anything but the cold on my chest (where the suit compresses) gets really uncomftable and my chest feels the same way you feel when you go inside again after having really cold hands - and keeps feeling that way for a day or 2. I dive with BP and wing and remain horisontal for most of he dive. If i turn around so my chest is up it helps with the cold. The suit and Ug fits so well and is so flexible that I can do valve drills with ease and generally feel just as mobile as in 12mm wetsuit (5+7).

I currently use the 9mm hood that came with the suit and it fits tight (almost too tight) and without any water circulation.

i have been diving with wet gloves and just changed to drygloves from sitech.

Wht I find weird is that it is only my chest that gets cold rest of my body is just a comftable temperature in 6 degree water - and a bit sweaty in 15 degree (had wet legs on my first dive with the suit and thought itchad a leak wich turned out to be sweat and condensation on my legs.

I am going diving in 4-6 degree water this saturday and try out some of the suggestions here and let you knbw how it turns out. Im am going to try drygloves, baselayer and the fourth element vest + as little time igfthfui before i hit the water.
once again thanks for the tips and input.

Is there some way to insulate your chest only? Seems a shame to have to be trying all kinds of different undergarments when it is only the tightness of the suit over your chest causing the problem.

Thanks for the replies.

I dont start to shiver or anything but the cold on my chest (where the suit compresses) gets really uncomftable and my chest feels the same way you feel when you go inside again after having really cold hands - and keeps feeling that way for a day or 2. I dive with BP and wing and remain horisontal for most of he dive. If i turn around so my chest is up it helps with the cold. The suit and Ug fits so well and is so flexible that I can do valve drills with ease and generally feel just as mobile as in 12mm wetsuit (5+7).

I currently use the 9mm hood that came with the suit and it fits tight (almost too tight) and without any water circulation.

i have been diving with wet gloves and just changed to drygloves from sitech.

Wht I find weird is that it is only my chest that gets cold rest of my body is just a comftable temperature in 6 degree water - and a bit sweaty in 15 degree (had wet legs on my first dive with the suit and thought itchad a leak wich turned out to be sweat and condensation on my legs.

I am going diving in 4-6 degree water this saturday and try out some of the suggestions here and let you knbw how it turns out. Im am going to try drygloves, baselayer and the fourth element vest + as little time igfthfui before i hit the water.
once again thanks for the tips and input.

Are you adding enough air? You shouldn't feel the suit against your torso if you do the cold will be transferred to you. When you feel the suit against your chest try adding a little air. Make sure you add some weight to compensate.

Is there some way to insulate your chest only?
A piece of closed-cell foam pad, the type used as a sleeping bag pad, covering your chest and belly area and stuffed under the dry suit suspenders to keep it in place works pretty well. I've used that myself on cold-water dives when my underwear hasn't been as thick as I would have wanted. I don't recommend the thickest types, around (or slightly less than) 1cm thickness is fine.

I'm also using thin wool underwear next to my skin, no matter what other type of underwear - if any - I'm using. I always get more or less clammy inside a DS, and wool is the only fiber that insulates properly when damp.

Hi, long time reader first time poster.

I recently changed from wetsuit to drysuit and bought a Santi E motion and a Santi 400g UG. Like when learning any other new aspect of diving I got someone expirenced to train me and i now feel really comfortable using my drysuit.

I do however have one problem. My torso gets rather cold when diving. I have been diving in 15-16 degrees warm water with it and still got cold. And on my latest dive in 6-7 degree water I had to call the dive after 30 minutes due to my cold torso. Extremities etc. feels warm, so it is only the torso that is a problem.

Since the 400g UG is rated for 0-7 degrees I find it odd that I am getting cold. I have asked around and searched for an answer to as this might be but without luck. The shop I bought my drysuit and UG just told me that I should try to wear more layers - so I have bought a fourth element vest to try with my other UG.

But if anyone has any experience with this problem or a tip on how to fix it it would be appriciated.

Bet regards,
Mads

p.s. Please bear with my rather bad english. It is not my first language and I wrote this on an ipad without spell checker.

the air you are breathing will be at ambient temperature whithin a few minutes of the start of the dive.
Its this that is making you cold .

you will have to buy a rebreather.

Rebreather it is! :p

In regard to adding more air. Unless I want to become a ballon I really cant add more air. To try to add more air i even began using only the suit for bouyancy.
But since the chest is the lowest point (or one of them) when horizontal there is a slight squeeze there - its tight but dosent hurt or leave marks.

My buddies suits sit just as tight over the chest and they don't have any problems and their suits fit worse than mine do (aka are way larger etc. Since they bought used ones)

thanks for the cell foam idea - might be usefull if all other fails.

in regard to the cold air. I have been told that the cold air can do this and that is why many suits have a fold over the inflator valve. The Santi suits dont have this, but I have tried to put a thick piece of neoprene over it without luck. And since other people with the same suit don't have this problem I don't think that is the issue. (Could ofc test it out with a rebreather :wink: )

once again thanks for the input.

its not the cold air that is going in the suit making you cold.
its the cold air going into your lungs and taking the heat with it when you exhale.

thanks for the cell foam idea - might be usefull if all other fails.
...and somewhat more affordable than a rebreather :cool2: :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom