Training - Leg strength

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MosheDyan:
Yes...I noticed...however....I hope the commentary provided for the question was more useful than:
"Wow, you must have really been zipping around down there"
or
"I'm told that Weight training will help also. So, in addition to the cardio, you'll also have strength"
:rolleyes:

Well gosh, now I'm all sad and stuff. I just never got sore from diving. Sir, I apologize for offering useless commentary.

"Is there any exercise ideas someone has to build up other than actually finning around"

This was the question originally posed. My apologies for providing useful information that directly answers the question. Don't mind me...I am just punchy tonight with short-timers FIGMO affliction.

to be in shape to dive.

While all of the other training will help you still need to adapt your body to DIVING.

Want some more bad news?
You need to do both finning arround underwater and on the surface as they use the muscles differently.

There is no substitute for water over your head.

People, is it possible to have a discussion without the sarky remarks?

Take it easy, eh?!

Thanks from one of your friendly neighbourhood Mods

A lot of people who get cramps or pull muscles (those who are often very sporty) forget whilst they are doing all their weights and cardio to stretch before and after. So the constant working of those muscles in contracting can put those muscles you are working at more risk of cramping up or worse. However, i have heard that stretching in the morning is pretty bad as you body isnt warmed up, so after a bit of light exercise and particularly in the evening would help.

Its not impossible to get cramps diving, but doing something with your muscles that they havent done in a while will often strain them somewhat. Swimming in a pool will help to train those legs in kicking, i try to use swimming as a warm down to a weight session.

Ps. I know that i dont stretch nearly as often as i should do, but i know people who hardly ever do.

scubasean:
I'm told that Weight training will help also. So, in addition to the cardio, you'll also have strength.

Since I have gotten the bowflex, I don't use free weights anymore, I know, some purists still tout them, but I'm going more for strength than sculpting.

MosheDyan:
1-Crunches (Core)..hands at the side of your head...chin pointed to the sky...knees bent to 45 degrees...contract tummy and raise shoulders just off the ground...hold...lather...rinse...repeat (LRR).
2-Dead Bug (Core)..as above but legs in the air. Reach your hands towards your toes until your shoulders clear the floor (LRR).
3-Superman (Core/Hams/Glutes)...Get on hands and knees (woof). Contract tummy muscles (TVA for you technical types) and alternately raise left arm/right leg and right arm/left leg until parallel to the floor. Hold and LRR. Great overall core exercise....even if it looks a tad silly at your local gym!
4-*** raises (Hams)...this is my get-a-laugh name for this movement that specifically targets your hams. Same start position as #1 except hands at your sides palm down on the floor. Tighten TVA (tummy) and lift your butt off the floor until your legs are ~45 degrees down to your shoulders...do not lift any further. At the top of the movement squeeze your glutes together and hold. LRR.
5-Reverse leg curls...if your bowflex has the leg attachment allowing reverse curls use it (i.e. lying on tummy bringing ankles towards your butt). I would put a pillow or something under your stomach on the bowflex as I do not think it comes with a proper decline/incline bench and you may strain your lower back otherwise if the bench is just flat. LRR
:54:

Those are all good exercises I can add into my go on the bowflex. It does have a nice setup for reverse curls, maybe I need to shift from strength to repitition on the reverse curls.

Thanks,
Leon

Mo2vation:
This is a cool site that helps keep things fresh. Dive Fitness

Diving is what drove my commitment to fitness, but its spilled over into all areas of my life. I'm healthier, stronger and feel better now than I have in a very long time.

K

I will look around that site. I want to get as much out of diving as I can, and being able to move easily will help that :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom