Tried sidemount - good experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me with all my experimentation I am still way ahead on saving money. Plus it is fun to make stuff. Total cost for 2 cold water wings: Fabric $8 (plus $6 shipping), Grommets and setting kit $10. I might even post a tutorial in the DIY section.
Please, please, please! :)

Working on the tutorial with my latest build. I don't need the one I'm making, just testing techniques. Heat seal with household iron gives a great bond if you can get it consistent. I'm also playing with standard pipe PVC glue. The test strip gives an excellent bond - but will the glue stay liquid long enough to get the entire perimeter? This of course only applies to the latest PVC backed material.

This time I'm taking step-by-step pictures. Only publication problem is most of them are in the camera which is already packed in my bag for my upcoming Bonaire trip later this week. You will just have to wait....

Try it on a boat in lightly rolling seas and then repost.

What is the issue? I've done this with more than lightly rolling seas. Wasn't any different once I secured the valves

What is the issue? I've done this with more than lightly rolling seas. Wasn't any different once I secured the valves

I spent a week last year diving off a NC boat with a buddy who was using steel 100s in sidemount. Watching him go from his bench to the entry point did not look nearly as stable as I felt doing the same thing with backmount doubles. His tanks were swinging all around him as he tried to hold onto the overhead rails and shuffle to the exit.

I suppose he could have asked to have one tank lowered in for him on an equipment line and then put it on in the water. That would have made it a little easier to get from his bench to the entry. But, the boat's deck is 5 or 6 feet above the water. In really rolling seas, how do you lower a tank in on a line without having it bang the side of the boat? And what if the boat doesn't have anything to use as an equipment line? Extra step and planning of bring your own? I didn't know enough about SM to suggest the option. He probably did but never being on that boat before, he probably didn't want to feel like he was asking for special accommodation by asking, as he was the only SM diver on the boat. So he just sucked it up and dealt with it. Also, if there is a stiff surface current, it seems like getting in and having to swim to a cylinder on an equipment line and clip yourself to it without being carried away would be a little bit of a challenge. At least, more of a challenge than just dropping in negative with BM doubles, and latching onto the granny line at 15' feet immediately.

I'm definitely not saying you can't dive SM from a boat in rolling seas. I'm just saying that it does look more challenging than doing the same thing with BM doubles.

I spent a week last year diving off a NC boat with a buddy who was using steel 100s in sidemount. Watching him go from his bench to the entry point did not look nearly as stable as I felt doing the same thing with backmount doubles. His tanks were swinging all around him as he tried to hold onto the overhead rails and shuffle to the exit.

I suppose he could have asked to have one tank lowered in for him on an equipment line and then put it on in the water. That would have made it a little easier to get from his bench to the entry. But, the boat's deck is 5 or 6 feet above the water. In really rolling seas, how do you lower a tank in on a line without having it bang the side of the boat? And what if the boat doesn't have anything to use as an equipment line? Extra step and planning of bring your own? I didn't know enough about SM to suggest the option. He probably did but never being on that boat before, he probably didn't want to feel like he was asking for special accommodation by asking, as he was the only SM diver on the boat. So he just sucked it up and dealt with it. Also, if there is a stiff surface current, it seems like getting in and having to swim to a cylinder on an equipment line and clip yourself to it without being carried away would be a little bit of a challenge. At least, more of a challenge than just dropping in negative with BM doubles, and latching onto the granny line at 15' feet immediately.

I'm definitely not saying you can't dive SM from a boat in rolling seas. I'm just saying that it does look more challenging than doing the same thing with BM doubles.
I certainly agree that sm in a boat can never be as stable. Mind you, I am NOT a sm expert, but in my experience in somewhat choppy seas, my HP100's were snug enough against my body that it wasn't all that noticeable . I will admit that I had just a GoPro and not my then large camera setup (Canon 5DM3 in Aquatica housing - I have since downsized).

Back
Top Bottom