Trim Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ankle weights are not the answer. Just move the tank down a bit, and arch your back

Ankle weights are just another tool in the scuba diving realm. I have to add 4lbs because of my undergarment so why not putting them on the ankles?

This time the tank must have been too low...:shakehead: But then it was at the same height as the previous dive and it was the same tank!:confused:

Let's try again!:wink:

One think it is sure I am getting tired of big weights around my waist that interfere with the buckle of my harness...I am seriously considering getting a weight harness and add weights to my plate!

Don, that's a very good article. I can think of a few folks who will benefit from reading it. Thanks for the link.

Betty, when I get back home, let's set up a dive. I've got a couple things in mind I want you to try (including a dive using Cheng's Jet fins) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, the idea to use ankle weights is not just for adjusting my trim but also because I need to add 4lbs which I do not want to add in my weight belt. I am not sure if Jet Fins will be heavy enough to allow me not to add more weight anywhere else...If you know what I mean...

Last edited:
Ankle weights are just another tool in the scuba diving realm. I have to add 4lbs because of my undergarment so why not putting them on the ankles?

B.S. ankle weights are for the people that never learned to dive a drysuit the correct way. Not only do they tire you out faster they aren't necessary. Focus your additional weight around your center of gravity (waist) and adjust your tank, the rest you can correct with body positioning and practice. I went through being "foot" light when I first started diving doubles. It was resolved with a 4lb tail weight on the bottom band bolt and readjusting my body positioning. I don't know what gear your diving but a weighted STA might be the answer instead of ankle weights.

Ankle weights are an equipment solution to a training problem.

To be fair, ankle weights are trim weights just like any other. They have their advantages and disadvantages, but I know very experienced divers with thousands of dives under their belts who regularly use them. Some of us don't use them, but I wouldn't call them wrong, and I do note the frequent call to replace some fins with "more negative" ones to achieve the same effect.

Tank positioning was significantly different in Video #2. It's not surprising that by mounting the tank lower, you have now over-compensated and are now slightly head-up/feet-down. Mount the tank ever so slightly higher on your next dive. Use some tape or a permanent marker to aid with consistent tank mounting.

You're getting very close to optimizing ballast placement. With more practice, you'll be able to "balance" things properly with very little effort using only subtle adjustments in body positioning. Be patient...you'll get there.

To be fair, ankle weights are trim weights just like any other. They have their advantages and disadvantages, but I know very experienced divers with thousands of dives under their belts who regularly use them. Some of us don't use them, but I wouldn't call them wrong, and I do note the frequent call to replace some fins with "more negative" ones to achieve the same effect.

I guess I came off a little harsh I apologize. Personally the way I dive, I couldn't ever see the need to wear ankle weights. I see ankle weights as similar to people who put weights on there top cam band, or an ankle weight around the neck of the tank. All your weight should be at the center of gravity, what little weight you have away from there I think you'll find is usually close to balancing out. You should be able to deal with trim then using body positioning. (straighter legs/more bent legs, arms out in front of you, back arched, head up, etc.) I've dove a handful of different drysuits and never felt the need to use ankle weights, although I guess I didn't have the option to so I learned to do without and I'm doing fine :idk:

To be fair I know divers with lots of dives that use backplates with 60lb wings and single AL80's. Doesn't mean it's the most efficient way :wink:

I don't use ankle weights . . . but I use Jet fins with spring straps, which are probably equivalent to putting somewhere between 1 and 2 pounds on each foot. Soakedlontra is using positive fins, I'm pretty sure. Castigating her for using ankle weights when you dive Jets is a little short-sighted, perhaps.

One of the things the two videos show is that some of the key to trim is posture and muscle tension. I think I'm seeing a tendency to over-bend the knees, and get your fins too close to your buttocks, which will tend to make you less stable.

Back
Top Bottom