Trip Report Trip Report 6-1 to 6-8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad you enjoyed your stay at CBC! I don't have at trip planned back to the condo our family owns yet but hopefully something will be planned for next summer in the near future. We have owned and rented Unit 101 (end unit) since 2012 (first trip in 2011 was in 102 which is an interior unit). Diving north on the mini wall from CBC is spectacular (heading from the ladder cove exit to the mini wall buoy is approx 330* if my memory serves me right (it has been reinstalled 3 times since our first trip down in 2011 but 330 should get you darn close). We usually go out and head north along the wall, if the current is running south, to half a tank and then swim back on the top of the wall where it drops off. The amount of sea life there is spectacular. I have never made the swim to the outer wall at Hepp's but have contemplated it multiple times, and family members who have done it have said it is great. We all prefer going lighthouse point for the outer wall dive as its a much shorter swim for the same price. My personal favorite is to leave the sea pool and swim out toward the coral finger just north of the sea pool exit. As you cross between the mini wall and the outer wall it will appear and be in about 40-50 feet of water. we swim around 20-30 feet (you will swim past the coral gardens on the way over the sand) till you get to the outer wall. Then drop over the wall and go right (north) 3-4 cuts in the wall and then loop back (current permitting. Its a much more sheer drop off if you go north up the wall. I've only made it that direction twice in my 7 trips thanks to currents though. I'm hoping my next trip will afford me the time to get CCR certified and begin the foray into technical diving.

Last edited:
I don't recall whether one swim out to the far wall at Lighthouse was longer than at Hepps. I do recall that at Hepps our swim out seemed much longer than our swim back. When I checked out the view from google earth and the shadows of the deep wall I can see why there is fairly noticeable dip in the wall that would shorten the trip. Do you still own at CBC?

Yes, Our family owns Unit 101. Corner unit, in the front building by the road. 101 is farthest from the parking spaces. I have never done the hepp's swim to the outer wall but swimming from the pool exit to the pass through to the outer wall @ divetech usually I can do in about 5-10 minutes at an easy pace (I almost always swim with a frog kick as opposed to conventional). I know its about 3 at an easy pace to the mini wall at hepps and probably 5-10 from there. When we were down in December my wife and I surface swam to the inner hepp's buoy (which we do quite frequently) with plans of going out to the outer site but dive boats were on both moorings and we didn't feel like swimming that far once we got to the inner buoy

One word of warning - Coconut Bay is right on the tip of Northwest Point, which can get some brutal currents, that change rapidly. When the currents aren't around I agree that it's one of the best dives on the island, especially if you can turn right (north, away from Turtle Reef/Macabuca) - the life on the top of the mini wall along there is amazing - it has that "tropical fish tank" feel to it. When I was there recently I went out to the "island" for the first time and loved all the black coral that was there. I have never gone out to the big wall from there, but I would be concerned doing a surface swim because of the boat traffic that goes ripping by - they tend to stay outside of the Hepps Pipeline dive site buoy, but not by much. I'm not sure whether a dive marker would be that effective, either.

A couple of people have told me that they surface swim out to the near buoy, drop down to 20 feet and then do the swim out to the big wall at that depth and that it works for them.

Left of Macabuca has a valley that often has tarpon in it - last year there was a Goliath Grouper hanging around there too, which was quite exciting to see.

The mini wall between Macabuca and Coconut Bay probably has more traffic that the other directions because they get the Turtle Reef and CB divers. It's still really good, though.

Coconut Bay has 4 2-bedroom units, but I think only one of them is available for short-term rentals. It faces out towards the larger of the two pools. I went into one of them last time I was there (considered buying one of them years ago). If the rental price differential is good, then it would be an option, otherwise just take one of the many 3 bedrooms that are out for short-term rental. There is an informal rental pool there where the different owners will refer others - many owners do their own bookings and rely on on-site managers (like Duncan and others) to work with guests while they are on-site. The 3-bedroom units are all over 2,200 sq. ft.

There are employees or owners of 3 different dive ops that live or own in CB, with another closely affiliated with the site.

For those not staying there, at the dive station shower there is a notice with prices and a phone number where you can get in touch with Stingray Watersports to settle up for tanks and weights, or to arrange special requests. Stingray does not own the dive station, by the way - that is owned by the condo association.

Full disclosure: I own a condo there, but have no business connection with any dive op.

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional info. I was aware of the potential for currents. We did not experience any noticeable currents this past trip and some mild currents on the trip the year before. I have been told that even when the currents are strong, Hepps can still be dived by staying close to the mini wall and in the lee of the reef formations next to the wall. The there are plenty of fans, soft corals and sponges in on the top of the mini wall and down in flats that will provide a clear indication of current and where it is going.

I went out one time, got to the bottom of the wall and had no current at either the top or bottom. Turned right, until I hit half tank and started swimming back on top of the mini-wall. About half way back we got a head current that made it really difficult to even make any headway. Dropping down over the side didn't help either. We ended up heading for shore and doing a swim across the hard pan very close to shore and then surfacing when we got close to being out of air. I have stories from my neighbours of similar things where they ended up either at Macabuca or Cobalt Coast. Opportunities to get out of the water along that ironshore are few and far between along there.

I'll take note. Thanks for the add'l info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom