Trusting Your Equipment......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here we part company (likely only a little). At the depth that I'm no longer completely comfortable performing an ESE, while my primary focus remains on my buddy, my secondary focus shifts to self contained bailout methodologies which means a shift in gear selection and emergency plans.

I'm not sure I understand where you're going with this Thal. I don't suggest that every new diver I certify is required to equip themselves with redundant systems before venturing past 50'. You either instill the value of the buddy system or you don't. The focus has to be on one or the other. As this is in the Basic SCUBA Discussion area, I'm not sure how helpful a discussion on redundant systems are?

I have had failures. Just never any that interrupted a dive. When you know your gear, most minor failures can easily be managed so they don't interfere with the dive.

Yes, I was however referring to a catastrophic failure. As you know, in a buddy/team environment, you can only be reasonably sure of your own equipment. The equipment of others, as well as your own, can interrupt your dive. I've experienced this several times. You're obviously possess more "luck" than I do. :)

"You either instill the value of the buddy system or you don't....I'm not sure how helpful a discussion on redundant systems are?"

As one who has extreme trust issues and without a "regular" dive buddy I asked about redundant systems before starting my OW class, so it does seem reasonable to discuss.

Unfortunately also leads to topics better suited for more divers with a bit more experience.

I'm not sure I understand where you're going with this Thal. I don't suggest that every new diver I certify is required to equip themselves with redundant systems before venturing past 50'. You either instill the value of the buddy system or you don't. The focus has to be on one or the other. As this is in the Basic SCUBA Discussion area, I'm not sure how helpful a discussion on redundant systems are?
I'm just saying that there is a change in mindset with increased depth and time. My first focus in on my buddy, that's where help is. My second focus when shallower (or short enough for no-D) is on the surface for an ESE, it doesn't matter if that depth cut off is 20 ft. or 200 ft. When deeper than that cut off or into a Decompression dive, again my first focus in on my buddy but my backup is self-contained (as appropriate to the task, it could be a pony, it could be doubles, it could be tanks cashed where I can make a comfortable ESE to them, etc.). I'm suggesting for someone that is fearful at 20 feet that they do more freediving and keep their scuba to twice the depth can comfortably freedive too, or adopt a more "technical diving" approach (which is equipment rather than skill dependent) regardless of the depth.

.....There are some sports (like snorkeling) that the snorkeler's envelope is based upon his/her ability to swim underwater and decide when it's right for them to go to the surface. The surface symbolizes "safety." The snorkeler is only dependent on their personal ability.

That may be it. I've snorkel'd with her a few times in the Keys. There were times I went 30'+ and she was right next to me (and she loved it). Never realized it, but she is at home in the water during times like that. I think she may still feel that the surface represents her safety zone while diving. I'll have to start a conversation with this idea in mind and see what it reveals. Like I said, I'm not trying to change her. I just know she would enjoy it much more if she didn't limit herself. I definitely don't want to push her. Thanks guys, your thoughts are great!! Keep 'em coming!

Other posters have mentioned her getting more comfortable with free diving. I don't think this is her issue. She sounds perfectly comfortable there according to your post and I had guessed as much anyway.

She simply has an equipment mistrust. Good on her. So do I. Always did rock-climbing too. I like to be fairly sure that if things do go **** up that I can deal with it. I am only just starting to get there with scuba where I feel like I probably could manage many or maybe even most kit failures that could arise.

I will bet you that until your friend can internalise all the modes of possible failure and her abilities to react to/deal with these, she won't be comfortable going beyond her skin diving threshold.

A really good way imho to get there is to practise as many failure modes as possible in a pool until her reaction to these is off pat or that she is comfortable enough to believe that she can deal with any failure arising.

Just my £.0.02.

J

I have long time experience with technical rescue...high angle rope, confined space, trench, HAZMAT, helicopter, all of which involve trusting a set of equipment in a hostile environment. SCUBA was just another set of gear to learn about. OTOH, I wasn't a strong swimmer and still don't much like it, but I've spent enough time in the water now that I'm much more comfortable there. If I have to take more swim lessons some day to pass Tech 1/Cave 1, I will, but I doubt it will ever be something l'll do for fun.

Last edited:
One of the worst uncertainties any human can suffer from is doubt.
You doubt your training, you doubt your equipment, you doubt your abilities and skills.

I would think that you would first have to identify that which causes the doubt, and at which point in time, the doubt reveals itself, and work on those issues.

This could be accomplished by simple repetition , until the individual becomes comfortable with the task at hand.

And I believe that everybody, at one point or other in their life's, have suffered from doubt.

And I also believe it is manifested when we try something new or unfamiliar or something we are not skilled at, or secure with.

Thoughts and opinions...please. A friend of mine has a problem with depth over about 20 feet or so. Just wondering how many people had issues trusting their life support equipment when they first started diving. I mean, if you're at 20 feet and you have catastrophic failure of your 1st stage, you can simply surface fairly quick. But if you're at 60 feet, it's not going to be as easy (I usually carry a pony bottle with me, so this problem don't really cross my mind). I'm just curious if this is a normal issue, or one that is mainly limited to new divers getting use to breathing underwater. Fire away!!Thanks!

Is it possible that you are the source of your buddy's anxiety?

Dude, loose the pony for regular diving, if he/she is your buddy you have a pony with fins!

N

There's really no anxiety. Never said there was. It's just that she has mentioned the what-if of a reg failure and she usually don't go past 20 or so feet. So I figured I would post the question to see if the two may be connected, or at least hear thoughts on it.

I have faith in my own equipment. I'm a new diver myself...so I don't know any better!:D But seriously, I do trust that my equipment will do it's job. If (when) something does go wrong, I'm confident enough in myself and my training to get through it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom