Trying to buy HID?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonahfab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
:06: I've recently started doing some black water diving and have just been using a regular flashlight. Sick of having only two feet of visability and am now in the process of researching buying a HID light. Any help with things to consider as far as features and functions that I should look at in the light, and any suggestions for good quality lights to consider buying. Thanks

jonahfab:
:06: I've recently started doing some black water diving and have just been using a regular flashlight. Sick of having only two feet of visability and am now in the process of researching buying a HID light. Any help with things to consider as far as features and functions that I should look at in the light, and any suggestions for good quality lights to consider buying. Thanks

Focusable beam to reduce backscatter and higher wattage to help cut through the murk.

The focusable beam is key. There are a lot of new lights coming out with the Welch Allen 6 degree set beam due to the cheapness of the bulb. Stick with a focusable lighthead! Trust Cave Diver!

I've recently acquired a Terkel 10w HID can light with a focusable beam. I've only had it on a few dives, but it works great so far in low viz waters.

i've got a 10w helios from halcyon. it doesn't increase vis that much in low viz actually. max that you can go is about 15ft and still be able to make out stuff. big improvement over 2ft but practically speaking, not much of an impact in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom