Trying to Plan trip to Cozumel...need suggestions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smithvillemike:
Just an FYI... I used to have Dans but switched to DiveAssure, they cover alot more, and with my policy trip insurance and gear insurance is included

On paper it may appear that they cover more, but how claims are handled is a better judge of how solid an insurance provider is...IMO.

DAN went through a rough patch awhile back, but there is no substitute for DAN IMO. Even PADI is no longer offering dive accident insurance for recreational divers and have aligned themselves with DAN.

Christi:
On paper it may appear that they cover more, but how claims are handled is a better judge of how solid an insurance provider is...IMO.

DAN went through a rough patch awhile back, but there is no substitute for DAN IMO. Even PADI is no longer offering dive accident insurance for recreational divers and have aligned themselves with DAN.

Isn't that a merger of sorts? I have the PADI ins and now I'm wondering if the telephone contact numbers I have on the back of my card will still be valid, if I have to take a chamber ride between now and mid April when I have to renew?

pilot fish:
Isn't that a merger of sorts? I have the PADI ins and now I'm wondering if the telephone contact numbers I have on the back of my card will still be valid, if I have to take a chamber ride between now and mid April when I have to renew?
Interesting question. Call them. I test all my emergency numbers. See whom you reach...?

I'd be a member of DAN even if I had Dive Assure, but I know to not buy from a company that serves all states except NY where they have the toughest Ins Regs. :crafty:

what about trip insurance from a company that doesnt necessarily specialize in scuba insurance...? I have been buying trip insurance from Travel Guard, and they cover scuba related accidents, medical evacuation, and recompression. I always wonder why no one ever mentions these options...do you know something I don't?

DandyDon:
Interesting question. Call them. I test all my emergency numbers. See whom you reach...?

I'd be a member of DAN even if I had Dive Assure, but I know to not buy from a company that serves all states except NY where they have the toughest Ins Regs. :crafty:

I put a call in to PADI tonight and was told by my PADI Travel agent it was probably ok. I asked him to check further and call me back tomorrow with a definite answer. I might just call the number on the card tomorrow myself to see. I'm going to Truk next week so I want this stuff in order befoe I go. Ya neva know!:eyebrow:

Call them now. They should nnwer 25/7 - and a night time test would be good. Just a brief test call, confirming the number.

jfcl01:
what about trip insurance from a company that doesnt necessarily specialize in scuba insurance...? I have been buying trip insurance from Travel Guard, and they cover scuba related accidents, medical evacuation, and recompression. I always wonder why no one ever mentions these options...do you know something I don't?
I'm looking over their description and exclusions now here.

Most trips insurnace policies have exclusions that would worry me for Scuba coverage. The only one I see so far is in bold here...
MEDICAL EXPENSE BENEFIT

The Insurer will pay this Primary (see definition) benefit, up to the Maximum Limit shown on the Schedule of Benefits.
The Insurer will pay for Medical Expenses incurred by the Insured within one year from the date of Injury or Sickness provided initial treatment was received during the Trip.The Injury must occur or Sickness must begin while the Insured is covered by the policy.
It's not common, but I know of divers who sought treatment only after returning home, and were treated with expensive Chamber rides.

For less than $100, DAN covers well. I use them and then Trafel Safe for all international trips, some domestics trips.

DandyDon:

More states then just NY. Also excluded are Louisiana, Maryland, North Dakota, Oregon, Vermont and West Virginia. Also all of Canada, Mexico and several other countries. Funny part is that their insurance provider is headquartered in NYC.

I've got no reason to switch from DAN, even if it was available where I live. I've heard enough stories with good outcomes where the diver had DAN. Although I'm sure they're out there, I haven't heard any about DiveAssure.

DandyDon:

Now *that* is a niftly little tip I've not seen before.

DandyDon:
It's not common, but I know of divers who sought treatment only after returning home, and were treated with expensive Chamber rides.

Kinda hard to get treated on the trip if you get a DCS hit on the flight back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom