Turns out that diving is safer than driving a car!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My tank had about 1,000 psi in it when I wrecked...with my luck, it just had to be a rear end impact, too. Thankfully, I got really lucky, and despite the damage to the trunk, the tank was untouched.

A few weeks prior, I had to brake hard, and heard a hiss from the trunk...somehow I had managed to roll my valve ON, and all the gas escaped. After that, I always transported the tank with the valve well padded and wrapped in a spare blanket...maybe that helped stabilize things when I wrecked?

Anyways, I think I'm done transporting the tank in the trunk....not sure if it's any safer in the passenger seat, but at least I can keep an eye on it!

Anyways, I think I'm done transporting the tank in the trunk....not sure if it's any safer in the passenger seat, but at least I can keep an eye on it!

I wouldn't recommend that... keep them in the trunk.

If you're in another wreck and they are in "in the passgenger seat" then they are more likely to become a 30 pound projectile that can hit you in the head. I would say it's safeer to keep them in the trunk. I think most other people would concur.

Also, in the trunk you'll have other gear packed around it to help hold it in place. no way to secure it easily in the passenger seat.

True, true...

I guess when it really comes down to it, there's no good way to transport scuba gear in a Miata.

When I first started diving, and didn't realize my tank could fit in the trunk, I actually strapped it into the passenger seat with the seatbelt...kind of a funky metallic passenger. When I was in an especially facetious mood, I'd even put a hat on it! :D Got a lot of strange looks from passing cars...

, I actually strapped it into the passenger seat with the seatbelt...kind of a funky metallic passenger. When I was in an especially facetious mood, I'd even put a hat on it! :D Got a lot of strange looks from passing cars...

Hmmm..... I wish I'd thought of that when I lived in LA. (and I dont mean "Lower Alabama".) I could have used that as my 2nd passenger in the H.O.V. Lane! :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom