Twinset storage question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I leave them in the truck if at all possible. If it’s not possible, for anything farther than a couple feet, I attach the backplate and harness, and carry them on my back.

Avoid putting them down on the ground at all costs. (I have a designated chair for them in the house; so I can sit down and take them off/on as needed for transport).

Your choices are:
1) on your back, i.e. with a backplate
2) by main force, on stairs generally one step at a time with you pulling them up and resting after each step,
3) wheels, either a cart or a two-wheeled dolly.

If you're going to dive a twinset you have to be able to lift it unless you're in Fair England where it is customary to have a motorized hoist, or can otherwise count upon outside assistance for all your dives. Go to the gym, do squats and deadlifts.

Here's climbing over rocks with twin 120s:

I just leave them in my SUV year round. the few extra bucks for gas is worth avoiding a slip and fall down the stairs with them

I just leave them in my SUV year round. the few extra bucks for gas is worth avoiding a slip and fall down the stairs with them
Yeah, I just started doing this instead of lugging them into cart, cart into elevator to my 8th floor apartment. How do you keep the doubles from sliding around in your SUV? I need to rig up something to make them stay put and out of the way as much as possible.

I have a 120cm (‘double shoulder length’) climbing sling with a random old shoulder pad from a tool bag slung over it. You can hook it around the valves, and then it’s the right height for me to squat and lift entirely with my legs.

Not the most comfortable solution for carrying long distances, but I store my tanks on the floor in the basement, down a short flight of steps. This saves me having to drag them around, or lift them up onto a table in order to put a backplate on.
IMG_1049.jpeg

Yeah, I just started doing this instead of lugging them into cart, cart into elevator to my 8th floor apartment. How do you keep the doubles from sliding around in your SUV? I need to rig up something to make them stay put and out of the way as much as possible.
Blocking them with extra soft weight pouches or pool noodles can work. Maybe you have a gear bag that can go in the back that will also help block them in.

Depends on what you have. Like most I just pin them up against a seat and pile stuff around them. If for some reason there's not a lot of stuff I'll use a binder and attach to the parts that the fold down seats lock into (Pacifica).

I found the best way to carry my HP100 doubles was to angle them sideways at about a 45 degree angle, put my right hand under and around the post that is now on top and grab the bottom of the top cylinder in my left hand. You don't want to grab the center bar and I found grabbing each post and lifting was very hard to them walk with them. But by using the method above, I could pick them up and carry them a reasonable distance while walking. I could do that for a good 10-20 yards or so without too much exertion ... and I'm not a big, strong guy. If I needed to carry them further than that, I would attach the backplate, put them on my back from a table or truck bed and walk with them on my back.

How do you keep the doubles from sliding around in your SUV?
I cut a pool noodle into 3 and tied them together with two pieces of rope. I sit the tanks in the middle. That seems to keep them in a position where they don’t slide too much.

I unnusually bolted mine into the back of the car and haven't been able to use them since

029.JPG

Hmmmmm!

Back
Top Bottom