two dive computers vs. dive tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer the tables simply because I don't trust anything electronic where my life is concerned.

I guess the Apollo 13 Pilots thought the same. Sometimes a chart is just needed for back up as technology changes.

That "aircraft" had less computer computations than your watch.

dmoore19 says:

I too would like to hear of any fault in this. I started with a VEO 250 and an spg. I recently bought a Suunto Cobra 3. I also have a watch with a depth gauge. I have redundant everything along with my PADI eRDP in case of the chance of 2 computer failures. I can't think of any fault with this approach.

stroke_15.jpg

Hmm. Redundant everything?:D

stroke_15.jpg

Hmm. Redundant everything?
I saw that movie... "Attack of the LeisurePro Stroke..."

@dmoore19: Do you wear all of this stuff on your local dives? If so, why? Are you afraid that you won't be able to safely abort a dive without a working computer? Are you diving with a buddy?

Paladin954 is a solo diver, so I can see why he'd want to be diving with backups of everything and might eschew computer doohickeys for tables. For people who buddy dive, the other diver provides complete redundancy.

Don't do local dives. Just vacation diving.

I think a dive watch and plastic tables fits the new trend for BP/W, becoming a minimulist diver like the 60's all over. We'll need to get some tye died Dive Rite Wings, then see if we can all dive with 2-4 lbs max due to the "new" steel tanks. Less weight = eco diver I guess

dmoore19 says:

I too would like to hear of any fault in this. I started with a VEO 250 and an spg. I recently bought a Suunto Cobra 3. I also have a watch with a depth gauge. I have redundant everything along with my PADI eRDP in case of the chance of 2 computer failures. I can't think of any fault with this approach.

stroke_15.jpg

Hmm. Redundant everything?:D

Is that you? :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

dmoore19,

Who, me? I dive with a 1959 USD DA Aqua-Master, a steel 72 with J valve, capillary depth gauge, a watch, fins, mask and snorkel. Occasionally a horse collar BC. No SPG and certainly NO COMPUTER!:D

I dive with 3 computers. Since a backup computer is such an important piece of gear, life support and such, it requires a backup. So I have my primary a backup and backup for a backup. When I dive people often mistake me for a used watch salesmen, but they simply do not understand concept of redundacy...

Don't do local dives. Just vacation diving.

Oh. Then I don't blame you for schlepping 2 computers.

Might I suggest moving closer to the water? :D

If you're going to have two computers, consider getting two which use similar algorithms, such as two Suuntos, or two Oceanics, or two(!) Liquivsions, that so they're not advising widely varying plans. Having one advising deeper stops, for example, along with another which is penalizing you for the same deep stops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom