two dive computers vs. dive tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For local diving when I'm doing one or possibly two dives per day, I wouldn't even bother with wearing 2 computers on a dive. It's overkill for recreational diving in my opinion. If my computer goes out in the middle of a dive, I thumb the dive, show the wonky computer to my buddy, and we ascend together. No big deal.

Wearing two computers makes a lot more sense when you're on a dive vacation doing multi-day repetitive diving. That's the only time I'll wear two. For me, it's not a safety issue...but one of convenience since the backup will track my previous nitrogen loading and oxygen exposure.

If you're going to go through the trouble of taking 2 computers with you on vacation, you might as well bring along a backup analog SPG. Then, if your Wisdom croaks, you pop the SPG on the first stage and continue diving with your Insight.

I always take my 2 computers on all my dives. I even take them on dives that I do regularly and know that I do not need a computer (because I know depth and length of dive), nor do I even need to consult the tables. However, I take and use these computers for the same reason I use my RADAR on my offshore sport fishing boat, even when it is clear. If I don't regularly use them, they will not be second nature when I need them.

Recreational on a dive trip - I wear 2 computers. The cost, in potential vacation time lost, makes it worth it.

Local, easy rec diving? Just one.

Hmmm. Does a Sensus (bolt snapped in a pocket) count as a computer? ...'cause that would mean I'm wearing three....

All the best, James

I always take my 2 computers on all my dives. I even take them on dives that I do regularly and know that I do not need a computer (because I know depth and length of dive), nor do I even need to consult the tables.
To each his own. Even though I use a dive computer, I've always considered it nothing more than a convenience. I could dive using tables, and it really wouldn't be a big deal. I'll never understand why some people insist on carrying 2 computers for safety reasons.
However, I take and use these computers for the same reason I use my RADAR on my offshore sport fishing boat, even when it is clear. If I don't regularly use them, they will not be second nature when I need them.
I've never felt that I need a dive computer, but perhaps you're doing something underwater that requires one. Maybe that's why we can't agree on this.

Have fun out there...

I think that any need for computer redundancy should largely depend on depth. At 40' or less the NDL's are so long that you really have to work at getting bent and a computer is of negligible value. Between 40' and 70' a computer starts to have some value in extending dive times and past 70' a computer is pretty nice to have.

Does anyone see a fault in this? If so, why? I am prone to missing the obvious, so I welcome feedback.

Do you still PLAN your dive somehow? Or do you just dive until the computer tells you to stop?

dmoore19,

Who, me? I dive with a 1959 USD DA Aqua-Master, a steel 72 with J valve, capillary depth gauge, a watch, fins, mask and snorkel. Occasionally a horse collar BC. No SPG and certainly NO COMPUTER!:D

WOW, I have read your posts in other threads and I knew that. Just being a little bit of a smart a**

Oh. Then I don't blame you for schlepping 2 computers.

Might I suggest moving closer to the water? :D

I am certainly thinking about it. Just not sure how to make a living there, thinking about that too. Maybe someday

I dive with 3 computers. Since a backup computer is such an important piece of gear, life support and such, it requires a backup. So I have my primary a backup and backup for a backup. When I dive people often mistake me for a used watch salesmen, but they simply do not understand concept of redundacy...

Oh so that was you in that picture paladin posted.

I think having a backup for depth/time is reasonable thing, it becomes prudent if your doing a 5 dives a day vacation thing.

If your using a computer for a backup, then having both be the same brands is also reasonable
(I purchased a knockoff of a citizen duplex dive watch to be a backup for my computer for depth/time)

I wear two computers. The redundancy is not for the dive I am doing--I can safely finish that dive if my computer fails--it is for the repetitive dives I have planned afterwards. If I was in the habit of doing occasional two-tank charters instead of packing 25 dives into a week I might not bother with the second computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom