Two divers missing Whitsunday Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FANTASTIC NEWS!!!

Someone gave me a good tip on a cheap but effective signalling device. Use an old DVD or other disc. The shiny data side makes a good reflector. I just keep some of the freebie ones that some in the Sunday newspapers and put a couple in my BCD pocket. Fortunately I haven't yet had to use them.
If you test them with the boat crew, I think you'll find them pretty marginal - or so was my experience. If you can't get the DAN tag with mirror, get a real dive mirror.

If you test them with the boat crew, I think you'll find them pretty marginal - or so was my experience. If you can't get the DAN tag with mirror, get a real dive mirror.

Thanks for that tip. I've wondered about that. I'll get a real dive mirror before my next dive trip.

Fox is going to show thier rescue in a couple of minutes from now 6:29am CT.

6:40 am Well that was a lot of nothing...Though glad they are safe....

News article

Excerpt:

Two scuba divers have been found alive after spending a night missing on Australia's Great Barrier Reef.

Briton Richard Neely, 38, and 40-year-old American Allison Dalton were rescued nine miles from where they left their chartered diving boat.

They were lifted to safety after an 18-hour search by a dozen aircraft.

Fantastic news, and kudos to the divers for their ability to keep their heads and to the rescuers. I wasn't there and can't vouch for the accuracy of the news article, but a couple of questions spring to mind.

First, they supposedly surfaced 200 yards from their boat. How this is known is not certain, but begs the question as to why it took 18 hours to find them. Obviously the sea conditions were likely a major factor, but what was their boat doing while they drifted nine miles? And did they have a SMB?

I'd appreciate the insight from anyone with a bit more knowledge of this incident. It could provide some valuable lessons, despite the "officials" statement that such events are "inevitable."

Again, very pleased at the happy ending.

I was rescued at sea once using a stainless steel camping mirror while drifting seaward of Moanalua Bay on Oahu. The guys who saw it were over my visible horizon and had no idea what they were seeing but just decided to check it out.

I was rescued at sea once using a stainless steel camping mirror while drifting seaward of Moanalua Bay on Oahu. The guys who saw it were over my visible horizon and had no idea what they were seeing but just decided to check it out.

Where you actually able to sight it to shine on your rescuer or did you just get lucky?

im about to head out but i wonder why we loose so many americans (and brits this time) where we dont seem to lose any aussies

could it be we like the aussies more?

could the aussies be diving more regularily and handled conditions better?

could it be despite the rigid qlds rules, dive ops are failing in their dive briefs and lookouts??

very interesting and i will come back in a few hours and add my experience with a qld dive operator-which didnt impress me

cheers - off diving now

Have fun - don't get lost!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom