Two divers missing Whitsunday Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a video link:

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Don, you have mentioned the white garbage bag a couple of time. Is there a source for this. A white bag seems counter intuitive to me cause it would look like white caps.
Yeah it'd probly be better to use an orange floating strip designed for such, but I carry so much already that it's better than nothing for a floating banner. Got the idea from a skipper here on this forum who'd lost his wife and best friend off of the Florida Keys and they carried nothing. They did manage to swim ashore, but he was frantic. I stick one in a small pocket on my BC, along with the sausage, dive lights, Dive Alert whistle, mirror I carry on every dive. I usually have a camera with strobe that could be used.
Don.

They are both Dive Instructors here in Sacramento!
Glad your friends are safe in spite of a boat skipper who seemed to not call the alarm very quickly.

Last edited:
Yeah it'd probly be better to use an orange floating strip designed for such, but I carry so much already that it's better than nothing for a floating banner. Got the idea from a skipper here on this forum who'd lost his wife and best friend off of the Florida Keys and they carried nothing. They did manage to swim ashore, but he was frantic.

Glad your friends are safe in spite of a boat skipper who seemed to not call the alarm very quickly.

Thanks Don.

I do not know them personally but they are part of the crew.

I can't even imagine WHY the skipper waited three hours to call it in?

I am just very pleased that they are both safe!!

Just played the video that Silly linked. Looked like they picked them up with gear on - which I suppose is safest in case one gets dropped, and the officials want to inspect the gear.
Thanks Don.

I do not know them personally but they are part of the crew.

I can't even imagine WHY the skipper waited three hours to call it in?

I am just very pleased that they are both safe!!
Ok, I guess there are Instructors I don't know in Lubbock and Amarillo both, and a couple I wouldn't want to dive with again. Glad these are ok. Like to hear the skippers' excuse; love to see these two confront him.

Just played the video that Silly linked. Looked like they picked them up with gear on - which I suppose is safest in case one gets dropped, and the officials want to inspect the gear.

Ok, I guess there's Instructors I don't know in Lubbock and Amarillo both, and a couple I wouldn't want to dive with again. Glad these are ok. Like to hear the skippers' excuse; love to see these two confront him.

I agree Don..

She is Familiar to me, But I don't know her personally.

I think if they got to confront the skipper he may end up sporting a very big fat lip!

Okay, after reading all this, I have a few thoughts. (yes, I've had my coffee and am somewhat lucid).
I see the thread of dive instructors not having safety gear---why..... You know, did they bring their own gear(in which case every diver should have their own safety sausage, that is a pre-requisite for our dive boats), if they rented gear- as most long range travellers do- that should have been part of the rental gear.

Okay, the dive boat waited 3 hours? DMs should list their buddy pairs as they take their first dive, check them in afterwards, then recheck them on each subsequent dive in and out of the water. It sounds like this was not done, and when the couple surfaced so far from the boat, without signal gear, the boat seems to have not noticed that they were missing a pair of divers.

Now for the "Australians don't sem to go missing" statement. An Australian in Australia would likely have their own gear, and all their kits, which holiday only divers usually don't and they rent the minimum most often. Also, I would expect a local to know the waters and understand local currents, and conditions. They also would tend to use smaller locals dive boats. So I guess they wouldn't get separated from the boat as often.

I can only speak for my own dive shop and boats in this regard, so here goes:
DMs must:
1. Check that ALL divers have safety gear in two forms.
2. give a boat briefing at the marina
3. Give a comlpete site briefing at the divesite. Set maximum dive time.
4. Call roll at marina, record buddy teams and check that the team is a capable experienced team that knows the site, or one of the DMs will lead that group.
5. Check each team upon return from each dive.

I travel extensively, and I always ask about the boat and their procedures. If they don't have the right answers and procedure list, I dive elsewhere. I also take responsibility for myself. I make sure that I have all of my safety gear. I Always a divelight(it also has a strobe on the option), sausage, air horn, and reflector. I don't depend on anyone else to take care of me in these regards. That's my job and no one should skip them. Heck, even my 10 yr old daughter refuses to get in the water unless she checks for Her safety gear and demands that her buddy have their own.

So what I'm saying is, I think things like this could be avoided from two sides. The dive boat sounds negligent and the divers should have taken personal responsibility for their own safety equipment and check of the dive group's emergency procedure they were going to dive with. This could have been tragic in it's ending.

OK soapbax now back under the bed.
Dee

im back..... i havent seen the tv for a few days so i havent caught any news coverage of the 2 divers but today they made front page of our papers

workcover is now involved so i would bet right now that this is going to cost the dive op a min of $10K (if they are lucky-otherwise it will cost them more). workcover is our agency for occupational health and safety and when they get involved in something - they always find someone to blame and fine

Zen, one of the news articles said that the Safety Sausages saved them, but did not give details. If I flew to Australia, I might be tempted to use some local gear to save on luggage, but I'd have my own reg, Dive Alert Whistle, sausage, dive light even for day dives, etc.

We don't know how accurate 200 yards away is, or why the boat didn't see their sausages then? I would love to see their story.

im back..... i havent seen the tv for a few days so i havent caught any news coverage of the 2 divers but today they made front page of our papers

workcover is now involved so i would bet right now that this is going to cost the dive op a min of $10K (if they are lucky-otherwise it will cost them more). workcover is our agency for occupational health and safety and when they get involved in something - they always find someone to blame and fine

Ouch......

Sound's like the dive operation has a great fine coming...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom