Two divers missing Whitsunday Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope they get a good lawyer. We put a lot of trust in our skippers, and they expect us to follow orders. The least we can expect is for them to call an alarm when they lose someone.

But we don't know what went wrong. All the possibilities point to the skipper tho: Wasn't watching for lost dives and didn't know they were short two, or didn't call the alarm immediatley?

I will be very interested to hear the outcome of the investigations.

The 3 hour wait is unbelievable given the strict procedures I've seen used in Queensland (and that I understand are required by law/government).

On the dive boats and even the Whitsunday sailing boat, you have to record each diver or snorkelers time into the water. Upon returning, each diver or snorkeler must sign her/himself back onto the boat - a roll call or visual count are not sufficient . The boat is not supposed to move at all until everyone has signed. The guides will hound you for the signature until it becomes second nature.

Glad they survived relatively unscathed. It would be great to hear their thought and what got them through the 19 hours if/when they are ready to share them.

I hope they get a good lawyer. We put a lot of trust in our skippers, and they expect us to follow orders. The least we can expect is for them to call an alarm when they lose someone.

But we don't know what went wrong. All the possibilities point to the skipper tho: Wasn't watching for lost dives and didn't know they were short two, or didn't call the alarm immediatley?

I feel you are very correct Don.

Last edited:
Don, send me your snail mail address and I will send you an orange garbage bag. Every fall Salt Lake City gives each home a bunch for leaf collection. I never use them as we compost the leaves so I use them for other garbage.

Speaking of safety gear. Whistles are really one of the easiest things to carry for sound communication. Not just for diving but for all kinds of activities. Especially for kids in the woods. Kids can not yell for long periods (okay well some can) but a whistle will go on and on. And I can attest that safety mirrors work. Used one 15 years ago to signal a rescue bird.

Don, send me your snail mail address and I will send you an orange garbage bag. Every fall Salt Lake City gives each home a bunch for leaf collection. I never use them as we compost the leaves so I use them for other garbage.
Haha, thanks. You know, they shouldn't be that hard to find here. I'll look into it and if I can't find them, I may take you up on that. Good idea.
Speaking of safety gear. Whistles are really one of the easiest things to carry for sound communication. Not just for diving but for all kinds of activities. Especially for kids in the woods. Kids can not yell for long periods (okay well some can) but a whistle will go on and on. And I can attest that safety mirrors work. Used one 15 years ago to signal a rescue bird.
I do carry a Storm Whistle in case I surface OOA and can't use my Dive Alert, and I do think they're far better than any other: The Storm Whistle
2aiiidy.jpg
Most dive shops carry them, but they're not going to compare to the Dive Alert. I used mine without lowering my head back into the water to protect my ears once! You don't forget after that. :11:

One does miss out on diving news when one does not read the board daily. Haven't read it for 2 days and miss this story until my wife tells me about it this morning after hearing of it from the TV news media (2 days after the fact). This goes to show that board members are on top of things.:wink:

Am glad things turned out for the best for all.

Okaaaay, we now have a story based on post rescue interviews it seems: As sharks prowled, forgotten divers waited ... and waited | World news | The Observer

Now I studied journalism in school and I was taught that the headline should come from the story, but where did the HL writer get the word "forgotten"...?

We have a few new words: girlfriend, relationship, sea snake. Neely is quoted with "I had my surface marker buoy, a very long inflatable yellow sausage about two metres long, and I had a whistle." If wind and waves were pushing them away from the Cat, I can see where even a Storm Whistle may not be heard against the wind. I bet they wished they'd had the Dive Alert and mirror, or at night a dive light and camera strobe as the chopper kept searching into the night.

She's a pretty lady; that could help carry this story.
As sharks prowled, forgotten divers waited ... and waited

In open waters off Australia's Great Barrier Reef, British diver Richard Neely and girlfriend Allyson Dalton tied themselves together as they drifted, trying desperately to be seen by spotter planes and searching ships. Barbara McMahon in Sydney reports on their dramatic rescue

A British holidaymaker and his American girlfriend who survived for 19 hours in shark-infested waters off the Great Barrier Reef, have told how a rescue helicopter failed to spot them waving frantically for help.

Richard Neely, 38, and partner Alison Dalton, 40, were last night recovering in hospital after drifting for nearly a day after their diving trip went horrifically wrong. The couple were part of a group of tourists on the 65ft catamaran Pacific Star and together with four other divers began exploring coral reefs around the Whitsunday Islands on Friday.

The two divers originally surfaced 200 meters too far from their appointed dive site but although they could see their boat clearly, those on board could not see them over the waves or hear their cries for help - and nor could the helicopter that arrived on the scene shortly afterwards.

From their hospital beds, the couple yesterday told how they had tied themselves to each other for warmth but began to lose hope after they drifted for nine miles from their boat.

'I truly thought we were going to die. Sharks were on our mind the entire time - but neither of us mentioned the "S" word,' said Neely, from Norfolk. 'We just had to stay positive and calm to help each other through the ordeal and not think about being eaten alive.

'To start with, we were just 200m from the boat, which normally wouldn't be a problem. We would just swim back,' Neely added. 'But the wind and waves had got up and it just took us away from the reef. We were signalling. I had my surface marker buoy, a very long inflatable yellow sausage about two metres long, and I had a whistle.

'We were shouting and whistling but nobody saw us. We saw other divers climbing back on to the boat and lifting out their equipment. The boat stayed where it was, on a mooring, but we just kept drifting further away. There was nothing we could do. We were helpless.

'We tried to swim to a big buoy we could stand on, but we couldn't make it. The current was too strong and there was no point in using up all our energy.

'We were still hopeful they would come and look and see us, but the waves had picked up and the sun was behind us, so maybe they just couldn't see us,' he said.

Neely's fellow divers searched for three hours but as night fell and it became too dark to continue looking for the couple, their boat headed back to shore.

At this point, said Neely, he recalled the book Bravo Two Zero, by the former SAS soldier Andy McNab for inspiration to stay warm. He used a six-metre length of rope from his marker buoy to tie himself and Dalton together.

Every half an hour, they huddled together, pressing their stomachs together for warmth through their wetsuits, then they would flip their bodies over to swim in the direction of the dive boat, as calculated by Neely, a diving instructor who was monitoring their position by compass.

It was the first time they did this, at 9.30pm, that they saw the first rescue helicopter. 'I shouted, "Look, look, there's a helicopter. They're here. They're coming for us",' said Neely. 'But they didn't see us. It was devastating to see them go round in their search pattern and then fly off into the distance.

'But we assumed they were going to refuel. I kept reassuring Ali they would come back. Then we would have a cuddle and get more body heat and then fin for a while and cuddle again.

'Sure enough, they came back every 45 minutes, did the same kind of search pattern, but I think with the wind and the two-metre waves, we weren't getting any closer.

'They obviously hadn't realised we had drifted so far. When the choppers stopped flying around at about 2.30 to three o'clock in the morning - we had no choppers for about three hours because the weather was so bad - both of us lost it. We had a lot of silence. Both of us would catch each other with our eyes shut, about to give up.

'I was aware we had been in the water for 19 hours by the time we were finally rescued. From the start, I told Ali, "We are going to get through this." I told her we were going to get very, very, very cold and we just had to be super-strong and I convinced Ali we could survive.

'All through the night, we were sharing body warmth. If I could see Ali getting weak, or Ali could see me getting weak, one of us would shout "I love you" to get a response so we knew we were awake.

'I really didn't think I could make it through the three, four, five o'clock time. Nor did Ali. We were hallucinating, seeing everything from robots to reefs and colourful fish in the sky and speaking a bit of gibberish.

'At that stage we thought we might close our eyes and sleep forever. But I told Ali we have a young relationship and we have far too much more to do with our lives. She is the most amazing person I've ever met and we will go on and live our lives the way we are meant to.'

During the night, said Neely, he thought he was going to die. 'But once daylight was coming, along with warmth from the sun, we thought, "OK. We're going to get picked up." But then with all of the choppers going past us but not seeing us, our hopes faded.

'We thought, "Oh my God, please - how can they not see us?" and we thought over the next two hours maybe we were not going to be picked up that day. I wouldn't have been able to last into the next night. We had bad moments. In the morning the shark thought popped into my head again. But I thought, "Rich, don't even go there."

'I said to myself, "This is really, really bad. This is a major drama. We're going to be on television." That kind of thing. We had to actually admit to ourselves we could die here.'

Then, at 8.40am yesterday, suffering from hypothermia, they were finally spotted - just after a highly-venomous sea-snake reared up in Dalton's face, forcing the rescue helicopter to winch the rescuer back up and move away.

'It startled me as it put its head out of the water and its face was in my face,' said Dalton, who runs a British-style pub in Sacramento, California, and is a qualified dive master. 'They are one of the most deadly poisonous snakes in the world, so I quickly swam away from it,' she added.

On the helicopter, they were wrapped in blankets and foil covers to help combat hypothermia and given small sips of water by a medic to rehydrate them.

After medical checks on nearby Hamilton Island, the exhausted couple were flown to a hospital in Townsville, Queensland, but released after several hours' rest and recuperation.

Dalton, who has been dating Neely for just nine months, said the experience had shown her what an amazing man he was. 'I think we saved each other's lives. Richard is an amazing man. I would not be here without him,' said Dalton. 'This terrible experience has definitely brought us closer together. We had an amazing relationship before, but to survive something like this together is bound to tie us as one forever.'

Darren Bobbin, a crew member on a rescue helicopter, said his team had searched for six and a half hours during the night using night-vision equipment. 'Things were not looking good. We went back to Hamilton Island to refuel and then we went back out again. All of us had a search grid to cover and we were going back and forth and then we heard one of the other crew say, "We've got a visual of two survivors".'

Bobbin and his crew then helped with the rescue. 'The woman was even able to joke,' he added. 'We asked them for a photograph and she said something about her hair not looking right because she'd spent so much time in the water.'

Last night, Neely's father Stuart said his son had called to say that he and Alison had been rescued from the sea in Australia. 'Then when I switched on the television I saw footage of him inside the helicopter. If he hadn't warned me I think I would have fainted on the spot. He told me they had been in the water for 18 hours - and there were a lot of sharks around.

'He and Alison are both being treated for hypothermia - it is a long time to be in the water, even in a wetsuit. I am just so relieved that they are both safe.'

Definitely a good case for carrying a whistle and a mirror! These are items I always have on me when ocean diving including my lift bag and huge SMB! A good dive operator is a must! I am happy they had a good outcome. The shark thing BTW...oh please give me a break press!:shakehead: I think that was a bit carried away!

Be safe out there!
Carolyn:sharks:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom