Underwater photography: Dealing with the guilt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually dive with my girlfriend who doesn't mind my photography ways. What personally gets me, though, is I keep getting cool photos of other divers:

davewillpaul.jpg

but I rarely dive with other photographers to take photos of me! :wink:

Sent from my Android

Solo dive. :perv:

That's what I do. :shocked2:

I don't move all that slowly, even with a camera. I see my shot and take it and move on. Yes, if I am on my own, I will slow down perhaps a bit but if my buddy is not a photographer I don't hold them back, my carrying my camera is not a limiting factor. Frankly, I really resent having to lead every dive. I ask for them to lead and I will follow, in other words, I give them permission to set the pace, and every time, we hit bottom and they just look around with this goofy look, after aimlessly circling, I usually take the lead and if so, I cover some ground.

I am positive my photos would be much better if I sat in one place, but, the photography is part of my dive, not the purpose of the dive itself so I take my shot, and I move on. Usually I am pretty decent at doing OK without a lot of fuss, I have done this long enough that I can set and shoot and frame on the fly, usually not even looking through the viewfinder. I have carried a camera for so long it is simply second nature and virtually transparent to my/our dive. Like I said, I am sure I could do better if I did (slow down) but then, I am not trying for National Geographic, just documenting my dive trip and having fun with it. For better or worse, shot on the fly:

IMG_1242_edited-1.jpg

IMG_1432_edited-1.jpg

IMG_1422_edited-1.jpg

IMG_1041_edited-1.jpg

My wife is the best diver I usually buddy with, far better than I usually appreciate, always nearby and a few times to the rescue:

IMG_1037_edited-1.jpg

I just shoot what I see as we go along:

IMG_1211_edited-1.jpg

I also solo a lot, if photography is really the goal of the dive, then it can only be solo.

I usually dive with my girlfriend who doesn't mind my photography ways. What personally gets me, though, is I keep getting cool photos of other divers----- but I rarely dive with other photographers to take photos of me! :wink:

Sent from my Android

Yes, true, but then I have decided that is probably best as I am not very photogenic, :wink::

IMG_1353_edited-1.jpg

Or give them your camera and hope for the best, sometimes it sorta works halfway:

IMG_1139_edited-2.jpg

N

Last edited:
As a non-UW-photographer, I don't mind photo dives. Get the occasional picture of me, and the dive is nice and slow. I'd rather go slow than fast, and there are so many other areas in which dive buddies can go wrong that having someone whose attention is on the camera but who is a great buddy in every other way (including some residual situational awareness, hopefully!) is fine by me.

how do you avoid getting an acute case of ADHD from the camera
the "oh! shinny object!!!" syndrome and doing something unsafe

Nice pics Nemrod! I'm of the same mindset shoot and scoot, there's a lot to see and photograph and only so much time!

You'd probably just be better off solo diving. :p

It's how i prefer my photo dives. That or dive with someone else into photography and keep each other loosely in sight (and occasionally use them as a model).

Photographer and non-photo buddy pairs are far from ideal. Either its so slow the non-photographer gets bored or too fast and the person with the camera cant get the shots they want.

Even PADI have come round to the idea now with its solo diver course and the outline specifically mentioning photographers.

As a non-photographer buddy here is my point of view. First there are two types of photographers as has come out in this thread already. Those who shoot photos while diving an those who dive to shoot photos. The first type is much easier to buddy with as there are much more likely to keep moving. If a photo doesn't come together like they want, they move on. The second type is willing to spend a very longtime on a single place waiting for the perfect light, movement, critter etc. That can get very old.

I am an active diver. I like to see things. And though I have learned to entertain myself with little cosmos on the reef while Tony is shooting I prefer to be actively moving along. Photo dives, especially on wrecks or in the caves to me are working dives. They are distinctly different to me from fun dives. As the subject/model of the dive it is filled with instructions go here, swim from that direction, no go back and do it again. Slower, hover, ok now proceed. Don't get me wrong I love the outcome and enjoy seeing the photos and video when he is done. But it is a decidedly different experience than just exploring a wreck. I not only have to always be thinking about where he wants me, what the scene looks like but also feel even more responsible for him than on a fun dive as photographers can be easily distracted.

For us one of the things that has helped is balance. When were are at the caves for a week I will say ok this is a fun dive...NO camera. So that I can relax and just enjoy the cave without swimming the same passage over and over for the right angle and exposure. On wrecks, we will try to balance the shooting with some fun penetration (my idea of fun :eyebrow:)

I fully support his efforts and understand what he is trying to do. But any photographer who thinks there buddy/model is enjoying a strictly photo dive as much as they are are is mistaken. I am sure it is easier for the buddy of an occasional photographer to enjoy a photo dive as opposed to someone whose buddy takes a camera on every dive. It gets old after a while and like i said balance or compromise is what will keep the team together long term.

a. How do (will) YOU deal with "the guilt" of this? Answer -- poorly -- and for that, thank your mother!

b. Is there a way for you to minimize "the guilt" in your quest for "the picture?" Answer -- sure, do a very long and detailed brief of the dive prior to starting and your buddy will be prepared to be bored, all the while appearing to be interested in you!

c. FUGITABOUTIT -- Not to worry. As Bob wrote, you've been patient with me enough times....

d. As my picture taking & diving has (hopefully) evolved over the years, I've come to the conclusion that a "good buddy" can be a photographer (as opposed to an image snapper) AND a "good buddy" -- both. It does take time and effort and there may be moments when the photographer's primary focus is on the picture and not the team. I believe it is easier to do this with the type of cameras we have since our eyes are NOT pressed against a viewfinder and thus are open and responsive to light signals.

I also believe it is easier to be a good buddy in our darker waters where light signals are useful.

That written, the non-photographer buddy has the obligation to be the primary glue (he is #2 on the team and coordinating between number 1 and number 3 even in a two person team). Besides, what is there to be bored about while someone is tryng to get "the shot?" At the very least, the non-shooter can be evaluating the situation and trying to decide "Now, if I was taking the shot....."

BUT, this is a case where the team has to agree on the goals of the dive -- but isn't that true of every successful team dive?

Last edited:
BUT, this is a case where the team has to agree on the goals of the dive -- but isn't that true of every successful team dive?

Good point, Peter.

It's interesting to read the answers, because clearly how one does things can depend on the water conditions where one is diving and photographing. Where I live, wide angle (read: pictures of dive buddies) is not always possible, and certainly not with the equipment I have. Which means it's mostly macro, which is "nose in camera" photography. But it also means you aren't posing people, and the buddy is free to scout and poke in holes while one is shooting.

I actually really ENJOY photo dives in caves. Danny schooled me well, and I so adore the product that the dives are really fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom