Underwater photography: Dealing with the guilt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greetings Lynne and I have to agree with Peter on this one for sure.
I dive frequently with one or two photographers at a time so it is a pretty slow paced dive but not always.
When we are doing dives with specific photo ideas we plan them as such and take extra care in detailing the plan to non-photo divers.
I have found that detailing a dive plan and repeating several times with newer or non-photo divers makes them feel more comfortable on the dive and more likely to discuss the plan if they do not like it.

One thing I do think about while on a photo dive is the competency of the photographer to deal with task loaded situations while distracted.
No offense to be imparted here at all but I am speaking of a very close loved one here not Lynne.
I am not confident in her dive skills while distracted by photo ops so I have to in a sense hover close by to ensure things are ok.
I have been in several situations that things were wheeling very quickly out of control and a camera would be a bid hinderance.
A good friend lost a brand new camera in one situation as I have mentioned.
These comments are for the newer photo divers out there.

Lynne no guilt should be felt!
They knew the dive before they went on it!
Slow moving and easy paced dives are awesome to master skills as you have already mentioned.
Most of my dives are planned to be case specific for what we are trying to do whether photo, wreck penetration, tour, or cave.
I rarely do the follow you dives but when I do I enjoy that the leader takes the time to detail a plan.
You can take all the pics you want if you are with me.
I will be enthralled with the macro on site or watch for the passing visitors.
Safe diving to the trio of photo scoots!

CamG keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

I can think of a certain SoCal dive team, who you know very well :) , that you should think about when these feelings of guilt occur.

Reading their dive reports (and diving with them), its pretty obvious that the photographer doesn't feel guilty, nor the non-photographer feel bored or in anyway "slighted" or not getting fulfillment from each and every dive. Both of them have a great time on every dive!

It seems that it's just another form of team diving, the non-photographer is an integral part of the team, helping to set-up shots, being part of the shots, etc. As a team, the output from the dive is probably better than the output that would happen as a solo photographer. Obviously, this isn't something that happens overnight, and certainly not with insta-buddies, but if you are diving with insta-buddies or new divers, you should probably minimize the photography portion of the dive anyways.

John

Lynne, not all divers dive with the aim of covering the greatest distance underwater or act like folks who have not had their Ritalin for a while...Sometime it is very interesting just to take somebody and spend the entire dive over the same coral patch and look at the micro stuff that populates it. It makes you realize how much you are actually missing by simply cruising above it trying to spot the macro stuff. Lately it has been my GF carrying and using the underwater camera...and I have no complaint. Gives me a chance to practice my hover, enjoy the marine life and finetune my SAC/RMV...lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom