Underwear Revisited - The Warmest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the merino evolution base layer, and to keep it clean I wear a pair of thermals under it. So far I have been warmer in it than anything else including my weezle, Bare, or DC thinsulate suit. yes I wear a bit more lead, but at least I'm able to do the longer dives.

Last weekend was one dive in 46F water for 1h58 minutes, then 2 hours later another dive for an hour and a half same temp water. Long enough that I would have froze my hiney off in the other suits I've bought over the years.

I have just gotten the 4th Element Artic and have never been warmer on cold water dives. I only have a couple of dives on them, but so far I like the 4th Element undies much better than the DUI thinsulate, Andies and Bare stuff that I have previously used. I also have an Otter Bay 12mm hood and can't recommend those enough. You do have to trust Cricket when she says the hood will break-in (stretch out) over time.

Jackie

This is the cheapest places I've found online:

Pinnacle Merino-Evolution Undergarment: Aurora Borealis Outfitters

Pinnacle Merino-Evolution Undergarment - Dry Suits - Scuba diving equipment & gear

Deep Blue Adventures - Pinnacle Merino-Evolution Undergarment

Incredibly, I went to my LDS since they are a Pinnacle dealer, and asked about getting some undergarments. I was all ready to haggle. They beat the online prices by an amazing amount, and I ordered on the spot (before he changed his mind!).

-P

Interesting. What does this underwear cost?

The company is Otter Bay. Cricket will make a 12mm hood custom fit to your noggin.

The first thing I thought when I read this thread was "what kind of hood is he using?"

Pretty much all the tech and hardcore divers around the Monterey Bay area use a 12mm Otter Bay hood. Although she will ship anywhere, a business will always have more local sales.

Mine fits well enough, and it is stiff enough that there is no need for a hole in the hood to let air out. This is nice because there is minimal water flow around my ears etc. and my hood is definitely warmer than any other I have used. When it was brand new the chin was a little tight but that has loosened up over time.

Cricket will send you a sheet on how to measure your head. Then you email her the measurements and you will have a new hood shortly. You can even get it made with ears on it :D

Lynne, do you worry about flooding your suit with the lithium batteries on the inside? I have watched a lithium powered can light flood and it was not a pretty sight. Also how long is the battery actually good for on high? Do you have two batteries for it?

Rick, I am sure you already do, but are you fully purging your suit with argon? We have been considering getting an al80 filled with argon and just doing a pre-dive purge, then using our back gas when diving for suit inflation, but we also do not dive helium.

Can't help on any other info as our water only gets down to 46 degrees, and I get cold around the 65 minute mark in a CF200 with DUI 400g undies and a base layer.

Here is the latest sale from Dive Right in Scuba on the Weezle http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hot-deals/212356-weezle-undergarment-special-round-2-a.html

Well, I talked to Tobin before I bought the vest, and he told me that a flooded battery would be ruined but unlikely to hurt me. The batteries are sealed in a solid plastic case, and the only site that would admit any water is where the connector from the vest plugs in. That hole is pretty much sealed by the connector, and if the suit were to have a complete, sloshing flood, yeah, I'd get water in the battery eventually. The vest itself is designed to be washed, so all the wiring is in plastic. I have had enough of a leak to get the vest pretty thoroughly damp, and there was no bad consequence. These vests are designed for hunters, so I would imagine that they've taken some precautions to make sure that if you fall out of your duck blind, you don't explode :)

I have one battery; it's good for at least five hours on low, which is where I run it when I dive. I do enjoy turning it up to high for the drive home, though!

Here's where I'm at now:

Weezle Extreme or Merino Evolution. The jury is still out on which is better, and both are about the same price. Opinions and info still appreciated.

Otter Bay custom 12mm hood.

TSandM's heated vest.

What about the Viking undies too? I think they make a 500g suit. Bob3 can hook you up.

Here's where I'm at now:

Weezle Extreme or Merino Evolution. The jury is still out on which is better, and both are about the same price. Opinions and info still appreciated.

Otter Bay custom 12mm hood.

TSandM's heated vest.

<shakes head>

You will still end up buying new undies at some point. Buy the warmest on the market, you will never regret it. (Why buy lower stuff)

Weezle Extreme + or DUI 400g (or the Viking 400g)

you can always add electric heat if you need it. (The other undies you will need that expense sooner)

But hey don't listen to me. I will love it when you have a second JeffG was right thread. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom