Unwelcome feelings on wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

certainly could be ...

the Hooker, sitting on its side as it does, doesn't "compute" as a normal sight ... sort of sent my warning signals off

covediver:
Could it be that ships that were placed as artificial reefs dont evoke the same kind of reaction as ones that are unfamiliar, have a strange geometry, or some kind notoriety?
I think that's so. I've only done one dive on a real wreck so far ... the Vanlene. It's different diving a wreck when there's a hundred feet of bow section over here, a coupla hundred feet of stern section way down there, and a field of twisted metal and rubble all strewn out between the two. You can almost "hear" the shriek of metal and the screams of sailors in your mind as you're looking at it.

covediver:
I too have been on the hooker. As I recall, the Hooker was put down as a reef but it does have an odd geometry to it and was notorious as a smuggler.
Personally, I thought the Hilma Hooker was one of the more boring wrecks I've dived ... but all the other ones (except the Prince Albert, which is also pretty benign, but at least has a lot of life on it) were in cold, dark water.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
I've only done one dive on a real wreck so far(Grateful Diver)
Bob, it's time for you to come to North Carolina to get in some real wreck diving. :D (in 70-80º water during the season, too :wink:)

SparticleBrane:
Bob, it's time for you to come to North Carolina to get in some real wreck diving. :D (in 70-80º water during the season, too :wink:)
Don't bother with the salt water- freshwater is where the real wrecks are! Come on down, the water is brisk! :wink:

I was diving the Grace Channon and my primary light didn't strike (I know, check it on the surface). There was some ambient light and my buddy had his HID, so we continued with the dive- I carry two backup lights. We swam past the hole below the waterline that sank her and then moved above. As we were swimming over the deck, I had this feeling that at any moment, sailors were going to jump out and start rigging the sails. It might have been the eerie twillight and the fact that the wreck is upright and very much intact. Or maybe there wasn't enough helium in my mix. :D

sorry but ghosts do exist. IMHO I know they might be guardian angels or pranksters, but i feel they exist. I've been places where I knew something was there.

Now for spooky stuff... footage on a ghost hunters show. To me looks like on the deck of a ship but it's in a prison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJjpiXLILnI

If you visit a site where someone died go with respect. Can't hurt to have this is in your mind so you don't feel threatened.

stunaep:
i'd go diving there, just to see them! buwhahaha....
Me, too - didn't know where the OP was, no location on profile. Found it...
The Straits of Mackinac (pronounced [ˈmækɪˌnɔː], like MACK-in-aw, note the silent "c") is the strip of water that connects two of the Great Lakes, Lake Michigan and Lake Huron,
Real wreck, "orientation of the Cedarville is a little different," a little narc, a slight decrease in viz and temp maybe - spooky feeling. And its' good to get spooked now and then, keeps you careful. I don't, have to remind myself to be careful.

do it easy:
Don't bother with the salt water- freshwater is where the real wrecks are! Come on down, the water is brisk! :wink:

Was their much U-Boat activity out on the Great Lakes back in the 40s?

:)

You want wrecks? Come to NJ;` they don't call it "Wreck Valley" for nothing!

njscuba_chart_black.jpg

H2Andy:
oh yeah ... i know the feeling well ....

...snip...

every single time, i just felt like this HUGE thing was looking at me

...sniop....

Well, it's pretty clear that it wasn't your buddy... :wink:

I've had that feeling on the "Regina" (scroll to bottom of linked page) every time I've been on her and there is no way in the world I would EVER dive that site at night.

There's a spot along the road at about 50 feet on the way to the tubes in Gilboa quarry that gives me the heebie jeebies regularly as well.
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom