Unwelcome feelings on wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have often experienced this "haunting" feeling while diving in Guam. There is a dive site that features two wrecks that touch. One is a Japanese freighter from WWII, the other is a German freighter from WWI. Whenever diving the Japanese wreck, it was no big deal, but every time I crossed over to the German wreck, I got an eerie feeling over me. Not any kind of "I'm gonna get you" type of feeling, but more a haunting, overwhelming sense of loss that made me feel nervous to be there.

I talked to a couple of my fellow instructors about it, and they said they all felt the same thing.

Who knows what it is, but it definately gets your attention.

captndale:
I once told a fellow diver a story about how two brothers who once owned the local dive quarry had lost their lives under the ice and still haunted the depths of that quarry. Sure enough, on the next dive he saw their ghosts. A little suggestion and a little extra nitrogen...

Perhaps.....and also perhaps the genuine article. I didn't believe in ghosts until I had an experience of one. Then it becomes, "Oh my!"

I read an article last year about somebody who went to Truk and Palau. He said Truk was eerie and eventually very disheartening, and he was profoundly relieved to get to Palau and dive something cheerful again.

The only real wreck I've dived was the RMS Rhone, and I don't know whether it's because it's so old, or because it's so pretty, but it didn't have any eerie vibes.

You want "feelings" while diving wrecks?-----Spend a week or two cruising through the wrecks in Chuuk Lagoon. They ooze with feelings.

It doesn't really count as a wreck, but I have gotten distinctly uncomfortable diving the shovel at Dive Haven (don't laugh others who have dove it) I guess because the first couple of times there was only 5-10 feet of visibility so here you are descending the buoy line and almost before you can stop you run up on this:

After I was able to dive it in better vis:

The feelings went away, but all that metal, cables and gears creeped me out...maybe it was the entanglement hazard? WHo knows...

Mike

RJP:
Was their much U-Boat activity out on the Great Lakes back in the 40s?

:)

Oh, so it's only a "real" wreck if it was sunk by a U-Boat? I know you don't believe that. Lots of great wreck diving off NJ no doubt. But there is also alot of awesome wreck diving in the Great Lakes as well. Plus it's fresh water. Much easier on your gear!

RJP:

:)

You want wrecks? Come to NJ;` they don't call it "Wreck Valley" for nothing!
Someday perhaps I'll get back to my roots (I was born in New Jersey) ... but with all the divers carrying pry bars and taking home souvenirs, how much of those wrecks are there left to see?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

RJP:

actually, i'm surprised you haven't heard of Hans "No Nautical Chart is Going to Stop Me" Blugger, who captained the U-1040EZ during the summer of 1942, and terrorized shipping in the Great Lakes as far north as Ottawa.

dude's a legend in the Kriegsmarine

Lehmann108:
Perhaps.....and also perhaps the genuine article. I didn't believe in ghosts until I had an experience of one. Then it becomes, "Oh my!"

Even though I believe in the supernatural and I've had a couple of distinct encounters with ghosts I've never seen anything on a wreck that makes me feel weird.

I have, however, had the same feeling as Andy (being watched) while snorkelling in deep water in Turkey. And it wasn't about knowing what's down there.... In Turkey there are no sharks and I've been snorkelling in India, Mexico and Egypt where big hungry stuff does live and I've never had the same feeling.... It was really weird.

R..

H2Andy:
actually, i'm surprised you haven't heard of Hans "No Nautical Chart is Going to Stop Me" Blugger, who captained the U-1040EZ during the summer of 1942, and terrorized shipping in the Great Lakes as far north as Ottawa.

dude's a legend in the Kriegsmarine
Yes he was atruthless captain and he was quite taxing on Great Lakes shipping. He's a legend even outside the Kriegsmarine. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom