Using ChatGPT to write comments/posts about dive equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Given the material on the internet that this system draws from, I'm surprised that it isn't a rageaholic freak by now.
The people building the current models are very careful about the source of the training texts to avoid this problem. They have also manually added in stops to prevent the models from replying to or building content in certain areas.

There were some earlier experiments that didn't have these boundaries and they quickly went horribly wrong. For example:

ChatGPT and similar are incredibly useful for research. Using looking up researchers' bios that have a minimal internet presence, ChatGPT gave me a tremendous amount of information of "tell me about <name of person>". I was looking up information about the various scientists from the Mentor Shipwreck Excavation Programme (MeSEP) who will be evaluating the new technology that the HAES will provide them in September.

ChatGPT and similar are incredibly useful for research. Using looking up researchers' bios that have a minimal internet presence, ChatGPT gave me a tremendous amount of information of "tell me about <name of person>". I was looking up information about the various scientists from the Mentor Shipwreck Excavation Programme (MeSEP) who will be evaluating the new technology that the HAES will provide them in September.
Just don't trust the results until you verify them with non-ChatGPT info. ChatGPT is known to make things up sometimes, but can still be useful to get info for further research as long as you recognize this.

terminator_CCR.jpg

Terminator diver - I created it just now with Midjourney AI…

Prompt:
/imagine terminator t-800 robot underwater on a coral reef - with red eyes - wearing an underwater rebreather device, and a diving mask - with swimming fish

Reactions: OTF
Just don't trust the results until you verify them with non-ChatGPT info. ChatGPT is known to make things up sometimes, but can still be useful to get info for further research as long as you recognize this.
That's a fair point. Fortunately the information was regarding their education, scientific organization membership, and in some cases papers published. I could only verify the existence of those organizations and of course universities. Sometimes I could find the paper where Google did not link it to the person when searching their name

Using looking up researchers' bios that have a minimal internet presence, ChatGPT gave me a tremendous amount of information of "tell me about <name of person>"

Have you tried Bing, with its interface to ChatGPT? I'm curious how that might compare for research purposes.

Just don't trust the results until you verify them with non-ChatGPT info. ChatGPT is known to make things up sometimes…

I just asked ChatGPT about Dave Shaw's fatal dive in Bushman's Hole.

It just invented its own story:

Dave Shaw died during his last cave dive in the Bushman's Hole cave system in South Africa due to a series of complications that occurred during the dive. While attempting to recover the body of a fellow diver who had died in the same cave system several years earlier, Shaw encountered multiple difficulties. One of his primary issues was that he encountered a section of the cave that was deeper than he had anticipated, which caused him to run out of the gas mixture he was using for his rebreather system sooner than expected. Shaw attempted to switch to another gas mixture, but this proved to be ineffective.

Shaw then attempted to ascend to the surface, but he encountered additional problems, including decompression sickness and equipment malfunctions. Despite the efforts of his dive team to rescue him, Shaw ultimately lost consciousness and passed away.

The exact cause of Shaw's death is still unknown, but it is believed to be a combination of factors, including equipment failure, gas management issues, and the risks inherent in deep cave diving.

That's a fair point. Fortunately the information was regarding their education, scientific organization membership, and in some cases papers published. I could only verify the existence of those organizations and of course universities. Sometimes I could find the paper where Google did not link it to the person when searching their name
Don't use anything that you cannot personally validate. Again, these programs do not have any special storehouse of information and do not understand their outputs, they just string related words/phrases/sentences together in a readable format. Due to the high correlations between co-author names/article titles/subject keywords in any academic setting, misattribution is highly likely.

Also, make sure you follow the cited URLs. ChatGPT has been found to make up plausible looking links.

Have you tried Bing, with its interface to ChatGPT? I'm curious how that might compare for research purposes.
No I haven't.

Don't use anything that you cannot personally validate. Again, these programs do not have any special storehouse of information and do not understand their outputs, they just string related words/phrases/sentences together in a readable format. Due to the high correlations between co-author names/journal titles/subject keywords in any academic setting, misattribution is highly likely.

Also, make sure you follow the cited URLs. ChatGPT has been found to make up plausible looking links.

Yup. Hence at least verifying the existence of universities and organizations and research papers. However, I just reran the same question asking about certain people, and I'm getting nothing.

That is bizarre.

Following up on my own post. Bard (Google's new chatbot) avoids this by not including any links, except a link to the standard google search results for your query. That means no source citations!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom