Very afraid to start to learn to Dive~

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Cindy and welcome to the board! I'm a new diver too and one thing that helped me out a lot was already being comfortable in the water. You might want to get a couple of swim lessons before you do the pool part of your class. Learning how to breathe and have the right trim in a freestyle stroke would make you muc more comfortable. It takes time to develop a decent swim stroke and a few sessions with a coach go a long long way. It's a good way to learn confidence in the water.

Cheers, Tim

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Cindy, you can do it! We kid that my girlfriend took 5 years and 5 countries to certify. At least partially true. It was not easy for her to overcome her fears, and self imposed limits, but it did happen.

She really lacked self confidence and tried several times to overcome her fears, with a couple of different instructors. That was before we hooked up with a great PADI Course director who was willing to take extra time to help her build up her confidence and skills at her own pace.

Before finding the right instructor it didn't look like she would ever certify. She wanted it pretty badly, and kept trying. Now, several years later she has gradually become a much more confident diver, and can't wait for our next dive trip.

Everyone has fears. One can let them handicap them, or one can face them down. Isn't always easy, to face your fears, but once you have done so they lose their power to stop you.

I too say skip the online course and find a patient instructor who will personally work with you, at your pace, and respect your fears. There is a wonderful world waiting for you to discover, underwater!

Cindy:
I can relate to your apprehension. I am returning to the sport after a 43 year hiatus. I am an old bubbler who embraces change and a new challange. Things have certainly changed, but the basics remain the same. I am 56 yrs. young and have recently lost over 100lbs. I am absolutely enjoying the heck out of myself. Our local dive shop has provided me with the opportunity to get alot of pool time. The instructor is excellent and more importantly, patient. I go for my open water check out in Vortex Springs, Florida, later this month. Stick with it and if you have the oportunity talk to someone locally who is a Dive Master, ahs yrs of experience, etc.
Take Care and Best Wishes!
Bob in Razorback Country- I'm justa bagel in a bucket of grits!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom