Very afraid to start to learn to Dive~

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Jim. While the Internet is great I feel you would be alot more confortable with everything your learning if you were inside a classroom with an instructor and other students.

Haven't read all the posts here. Have you defined what your fear or fears consist of? There are a number of things people could be afraid of while diving. Is it fear of not being able to breathe underwater? Fear of sharks? Different fears have different remedies.

I'd been diving fresh water for years before I moved to Catalina and dove in the ocean. My biggest fear was getting attacked by a great white. After 40+ years of diving here, and even having them pass by me, I don't have that fear. I'm just not on their menu. Have dived with sharks in many places around the globe and never had a bad encounter. Just one example.

I did see the suggestion that you try snorkeling which makes good sense. Get more time in the water to build your confidence and feeling of ease. I was a competitive swimmer when I started, so SCUBA was a natural for me. However, I have met many people who have never even snorkeled and were afraid of that activity. Most overcame their fear with a little instruction and experience doing it.

I might also suggest a discover scuba class before you would have taken the online course.

I was thinking about this post since I read it yesterday and I'm going to suggest that a Discover Scuba class is not the right way to go for a fearful beginning diver.

It's just too much, too soon, in terms of information and crammed in skills work; and it's unlikely you'll get that patient instructor with the individual attention that you will need.

If anything, such a course could be at the very least a discouragement and at worst, a disaster just waiting to happen.

Jim, Terry and the others have given you some great advice, first off relax it's a beautiful world down there and it sounds like you are definitely winding yourself up unnecesarily. Take it slow, find a patient instructor get yourself in the pool and see how you make out I think you will be pleasantly surprised, remember there is no rush, take your time and proceed at a level where you feel comfortable.

I would add that your fear actually puts you ahead of those who strut into a course full of bravado and cockiness. Those people are often just disguising their fears and apprehensions with an outward display of confidence.

Admitting your fear is the first step in overcoming it. But, as many people have already mentioned, take your time.... baby steps first. Snorkeling is great for that. Some fears you will have to overcome for the most part on your own, but others can be conquered with the help of a patient, understanding, knowledgeable, and confidence-inspiring instructor. As a previous post mentioned, identify what it is that you actually fear. This can help in putting those fears behind you.

Cindy,

Relax. Diving is not hard. It is not even very demanding.

As for being relaxed in the water, why not try some basic drills on your own? All you need is a mask.

My wife, who is an ex instructor tells me that one of the hardest things to get people to learn how to do is the mask flood and/or taking the mask off and putting it back on. Most people do not like getting their face wet. It upsets them.

There are all sorts of drills that you can do on your own in a pool with a mask.

When I was a tyke, I was taught to stand in the water, bend at the waist, put my face in the water and blow bubbles. Getting water up your nose is disconcerting, uncomfortable, and annoying. Doing a silly drill like that can make breath management second nature.

Another thing you might try to practice is letting the mask flood and clear it. It is easy to do. It does not take long to learn.

If you do some of these things, it can produce a level of comfort in the water that will stand you well in diving.

The thing I find amazing about diving is that most divers are terrible swimmers. I think being able to swim and dive are two totally different things.

I did do a fair bit of freediving before I took up Scuba. In many ways that actually worked against me. I had to learn a whole new set of procedures.

As for the breathing, I decent course will give you enough pool time to get used to breathing regularly. It is not a big deal.

After taking your pool section of the course, if you still are not comfortable with the notion of open water dives, just arrange to tag along with a class for the pool portion until you get comfortable with it. Your local shop would probably let you do that for an equipment rental price or a little extra.

Cindy,
All you need to do is to start swimming laps 2-3 times a week. Your local YMCA or health club should have lanes available to do this. It builds your lung capacity, muscle strength and confidence.
If your a good swimmer you will feel at ease in the water.

Cindy,
I have been diving since 1972. And a public safety rescue diver and working on my assistant dive instructor. I understand your fears and highly suggest that you get your training with an instructor in person not online. Take it slow and work through your fears. When I started I practiced mask clearing in the tub, I filled it with water and put it on and purged the water out repetedly until I was comfotable with it. Then I went to the pool and did it under the water. Get your money back and go to a in person trainer who will work with you and help you get over your fears at your pace. And if I can help in any way just contact me.

Blessings
DrakoWarkan

Cindy,
I have been diving since 1972. And a public safety rescue diver and working on my assistant dive instructor. I understand your fears and highly suggest that you get your training with an instructor in person not online. Take it slow and work through your fears. When I started I practiced mask clearing in the tub, I filled it with water and put it on and purged the water out repetedly until I was comfotable with it. Then I went to the pool and did it under the water. Get your money back and go to a in person trainer who will work with you and help you get over your fears at your pace. And if I can help in any way just contact me.

Blessings
DrakoWarkan

I have to say I agree with this! I couldn't even imagine trying to learn something like SCUBA exclusively through an online agency. A live instructor can/will let you know when you are doing things wrong even if you aren't aware (ie ascending to quick, etc), give you spot corrections and tips to improve what you are doing and to push on skills which you might not be comfortable with and just wish to "blow through".

Was there a benefit you saw to the online vs live class?

Cindy,

I am new to diving in the last two years. I totally understand your fears and felt some similar ones. The more I thought about it the more I was convinced I would mess up and not breath right, not be able to hold my breath long enough, etc. etc.

So first of all, what you are feeling, I think many others have felt too.

Secondly, find an instructor who does your first work in a pool that you feel like you will trust. I did a discover scuba first and had a bad experience, but after I went to the local class at my pool, that made all the difference in the world. Starting to experience breathing in a pool that is three feet deep is so much more calming than in the ocean. And if you are able to continue with the training, you will spend 8 hours in that pool underwater doing all kinds of things you thought you would not be able to do. So the class in the pool is essential.

But even after the class, I still had some fear to deal with. By first open water dive caused me to be very nervous, the boat ride out was scary as I would play in my mind what it would be like to go that far down. But it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought and each dive I have taken, it gets SO MUCH better. I just got back from my first 8 dives after getting certified and I love it.

Sincerely,
Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom