Very confused on BP/W - requesting help for the newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are going to Chicago I would stop by Dive rite in scuba. I have placed a few internet orders with them and the service has been excellent. Dive Right In Scuba | Plainfield scuba diving lessons and scuba equipment. We also provide scuba certification for the Chicago area.

They carry most brands except for Halcyon and stock a lot of merchandise. No point in going to a store to have them tell you "we don't have that item but we can order it for you:shakehead:" If I were building a BP/W now I would purchase a HOG plate and single tank adapter, basic hog harness, HOG 32# wing and two trident stainless cam bands.

BP HOG Gear Backplate Aluminum - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Single tank adapter HOG Gear HOG Single Tank Adapter STA - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Harness Unified Team Diving UTD UTD/DIR/Hogarthian Harness System - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Wing http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/32lb-wing-single-cylinder-diving-p-2067.html

Bands Trident Metal BC Tank Straps - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Or this and STA for $35 all same stuff just package deal http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/singles-package-p-2726.html

Don't need an STA with the 32lb wing. I have one here now.

No you don't need one but I think it makes things easier. I also have the HOG 32lb wing and I thought it was a pain to line up the plate, wing and tank while swapping thanks. Maybe I'm just lazy:wink:.

A few facts about BPW's
1. They are not hard to set up but do take a little time to get set unless you have someone who is experienced with them help you.
2. A pad between the plate and you is not necessary for most divers.
3. Integrated weights are overrated as are ditchable ones. The steel plate will normally take around 6lbs off your belt and you can add pockets to the cam bands. If you are properly weighted the most you should have to drop to get and stay positive is around 4 lbs. I wear this as "ditchable" in a belt with individual velcro pockets that I can yank a weight or two out of. I have never had to do this in over 200 dives in a BPW to stay comfortably on the surface.
4. A hogarthian harness is very comfortable and when properly adjusted very easy to get into and out of.
5. You don't say how big you are but you can get heavier plates and for some back plates bolt on weight plates to make it even easier to distribute the lead properly.
6. I have never found it necessary to have more than 4 d rings -one on each shoulder and one on each hip.
7. They pack very well being modular they can be broken down and mine fits in a back pack with my regs, mask, boots, fins on the side, and a 3 mil suit. With room for a few extras as well.
8. Wings work well for either singles or doubles. Rarely both. A singles wing is to small for most doubles and a doubles wing will taco on a single tank. Most of us have two wings and many two complete setups - singles or doubles.
9. Almost forgot - you do not try to fit into them. You fit them to you. Around 11-12 feet of continuous webbing that you set for your best fit and trim the excess. Screw up and cut it too short? Who cares buy another 12 feet of webbing for $10 and start over!

Halcyon is great gear but you are paying for the name as well. HOG, Deep Sea Supply, Oxycheq, Dive Rite, and Golem Gear all make BPW set ups that are just as good as Halcyon and will do the same job for less money.

Thanks for the help, Jim.

1. I expect to be "building" this entirely on my own. I'm not aware of any experienced divers in my near vicinity.
2. I've read that several times, and I do believe it. But for some reason I'm thinking it would add extra comfort, no? If I'm making diving a 2-3 times daily thing for the forseeable future, I want think thing as comfy as my recliner.
3. Hadn't considered the steel plate taking weight off the belt... in fact was thinking of getting the aluminum to save on weight in the suitcase, etc. Good point, though. Pardon my ignorance here, but isn't ditachable weight a nice safety feature? I'm not too concerned about comfort at the surface - or at least not as much as safety at depth.
4. You lost me on the "hogarthian" part. Back to google I go :) The reason I want easy on/off is because I have/had a severly shattered collar bone (since healed but limited motion) and L4-L5 herniated disc (thus not wanting to climb a ladder with gear on).
5. 6'4" and 300lbs but hopeful to slim back down to the 240-250 range (had a nasty accident last year which has left me less active and putting on weight).
6. 4 is good, agreed. I've never used any D rings above my waistline, however. I like one on either hip to secure my computer/guages and the 2nd stage. Beyond that I don't carry much. A small flashlight on some dives (I'm a critter hunter), inflatable marker on drift dives, etc. I think I'd be happier with 4 D rings all along the waistline.
7. Based on construction, I was assuming so. My Dacor Rig is a PITA to pack!
8. Good to know. I don't see doubles in my future, but who knows? For now a single will do. Again, pardon the ignorance, but why is it bad for the wing to "taco?"
9. I like the sound of that.

Awesome! I can do Plainfield. Wasn't even aware that store existed. And thanks for listing out the stuff in detail. I need to get my dog walked, then do some more research thanks to you and Jim, but I'll likely be back with more questions :)

If you are going to Chicago I would stop by Dive rite in scuba. I have placed a few internet orders with them and the service has been excellent. Dive Right In Scuba | Plainfield scuba diving lessons and scuba equipment. We also provide scuba certification for the Chicago area.

They carry most brands except for Halcyon and stock a lot of merchandise. No point in going to a store to have them tell you "we don't have that item but we can order it for you:shakehead:" If I were building a BP/W now I would purchase a HOG plate and single tank adapter, basic hog harness, HOG 32# wing and two trident stainless cam bands.

BP HOG Gear Backplate Aluminum - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Single tank adapter HOG Gear HOG Single Tank Adapter STA - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Harness Unified Team Diving UTD UTD/DIR/Hogarthian Harness System - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Wing HOG Gear 32lb Wing for Single Cylinder Diving - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Bands Trident Metal BC Tank Straps - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Or this and STA for $35 all same stuff just package deal HOG Gear Singles Package - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

I used to dive with a Dacor Rig 2, it was the most awful BCD I have ever owned/used. When I upgraded to a Halcyon Eclipse it was lightyears ahead in terms of comfort, function and stream-lining.

An appriopriately sized single-tank wing (30-40lb), metal (ali/steel) backplate and hog harness is going to make a noticeable and positive impact on your diving. They are very easy to assemble yourself (try the GUE instructional videos on youtube).

It can take some time and focus to get the harness properly adjusted (looser than you would instinctively choose), but once you've got it right, the whole rig fits and operates like a second skin that you won't notice on a dive. Properly adjusted, the hog harness is a piece of cake to remove and replace.

In a nut shell this is what I'm looking for...

• Lightweight (for travel)
  • A few D rings (not 18)
  • Weight integrated - ditchable
  • Padding between my back and backplate
  • Quick-release harness for ease of getting out of gear in water

In the next couple months I'm taking the step to become a DM then OWSI. I plan to continue down that path for the forseeable future, thus in that regard if you have any further recomendations please do not hesitate to offer them. Things like an air bladder for single or double tanks, etc., are things I prefer to consider now and not wish I had it 2 years down the road.

Here we go again... An experienced diver/OP asks for a BP&W with specifics. They state what they want it for and the specifics seem to make sense for the application.
So why do so many of the so called experts feel the need to second guess the OP's requirements and try to sway the OP towards a HOG rig.

For an OWSI the request for a quick release harness and ditchable integrated weight is a excellent way to have a rig that can demonstrate the techniques used with a standard jacket a yet have a rig that has the performance advantages of a BP&W.
When are these self appointed experts going to learn that their choice is not necessarily the best choice for others.

Maybe some others can suggest components that will meet the OP's request. I know for a fact that what has been asked for can be configured using components from either Dive Rite or OMS and fairly sure that a number of other manufacturers components can be configured to meet the parameters.

Sloeber if you don't get some better answers here PM me and I'll help you in private. I'm not going to get caught up in another one of these debates over the best harness and or weight system. There is no such thing as a best overall it is a matter of choices to meet an individuals needs and the OP made some very good general choices to configure a useful kit.

Last edited:
Devon,

I have read lots of your posts in the Philippine forums and such (research for the DM program), so I already appreciate your contributions.

It's interesting what you have to say about the Rig 2. It is the only BC I have dove with outside my rental jacket style for my OW cert some decade ago. For me, it is comfortable. But, I'm comparing that to a rental jacket BC that choked me to death when I was at my heaviest 320lbs fresh out of college football. Thus, your comments, given your experience with my BC and the experience with the BC I'm considering an upgrade to, combined with your "message board credentials," makes me think that I'm truly down the right path.

I used to dive with a Dacor Rig 2, it was the most awful BCD I have ever owned/used. When I upgraded to a Halcyon Eclipse it was lightyears ahead in terms of comfort, function and stream-lining.

An appriopriately sized single-tank wing (30-40lb), metal (ali/steel) backplate and hog harness is going to make a noticeable and positive impact on your diving. They are very easy to assemble yourself (try the GUE instructional videos on youtube).

It can take some time and focus to get the harness properly adjusted (looser than you would instinctively choose), but once you've got it right, the whole rig fits and operates like a second skin that you won't notice on a dive. Properly adjusted, the hog harness is a piece of cake to remove and replace.

RR,

It is obvious from your tone that you disagree with some of the ideas shared in this thread. It sounds like you may have a good deal to share, so I hope you can do so. I ask that you focus less on the other members and what you disagree with, and moreso upon my question and how you'd answer it in your own opinion. I'm open to all ideas, but I'm not looking to start any wars.

My BP/W newbie ignorance level is such that when you say, "So why do so many of the so called experts feel the need to second guess the OP's requirements and try to sway the OP towards a HOG rig," I have a hard time understanding your point. What makes a "hog rig" and why do you make it seem like it is something that doesn't fit my needs?

Your point about having ditchable integrated weights for students makes a good deal of sense, but I must admit it wasn't part of my thought process. I was thinking more in terms of myself, but now hearing it as such, it makes good sense.

Again, I'm not asking for you to get caught up in anything. I would prefer to not go to private PM, but if you must, I will. I'm interested in your opinion so I want to hear it any way I can. I'm an itelligent adult and when presented with all the facts and choices I'm capable of choosing what is best for me.

Here we go again... An experienced diver/OP asks for a BP&W with specifics. They state what they want it for and the specifics seem to make sense for the application.
So why do so many of the so called experts feel the need to second guess the OP's requirements and try to sway the OP towards a HOG rig.

For an OWSI the request for a quick release harness and ditchable integrated weight is a excellent way to have a rig that can demonstrate the techniques used with a standard jacket a yet have a rig that has the performance advantages of a BP&W.
When are these self appointed experts going to learn that their choice is not necessariliy the best choice for others.

Maybe some others can suggest components that will meet the OP's request. I know for a fact that what has asked for can be configured using components from either Dive Rite or OMS and fairly sure that a number of other manufacturers components can be configured to meet the parameters.

Sloeber if you don't get some better answers here PM me and I'll help you in private. I'm not going to get caught up in another one of these debates over the best harness and or weight system. There is no such thing as a best overall it is a matter of choices to meet an individuals needs and the OP made some very good general choices to configure a useful kit.

Back
Top Bottom